Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secure extra wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 PM
akcraig85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Secure extra wheels

Next weekend will be my first track weekend with a spare set of wheels. It's a 2 day event and I usually leave the car at the track overnight.

What do you guys do to secure them? I was thinking a bike chain looping them together but there has to be a better way. Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2015, 07:22 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure where you will be, and what what the environment is like. But, most tracks I have been to are only open to participants at night, and I have left wheels, parts, and tools unsecured for years. So, I bike chain or cable lock looping them together should provide you with a piece of mind. However, if someone really wants them, they will take them no matter how you secure them.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I've only been at this for two years, it seems that most attendees are anywhere between 10% 'ers to 0.5% 'ers. I haven't felt like any of my gear that I leave would grow legs overnight. I'm also usually one of 3 or less corvettes too.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

My experience has been similar to ZO6Trackers.

At the tracks I've been to, overnight security is very tight. If, for whatever reason, you need to access your car after the track is closed security will ensure you are a participant in the event.

At tracks with garages I do not secure anything. The garage has a door but it is not locked.

At tracks when parking in the paddock I never secure anything during the day. Overnight the small lightweight stuff I may or may not place in the hatch. The big heavy stuff is placed behind the car and covered with a tarp

In ten years have not had anything stolen. Knock on wood.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:26 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's usually not the people attending the event you need to worry about. Sometimes there are people off the street that come to watch. They will take stuff.

I used to race motorcycles (arguably a tighter knit group than HPDE attendees) and something always seemed to get stolen by the end of the weekend.

I'd try to find someone with a trailer that will let you store them there.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by akcraig85
Next weekend will be my first track weekend with a spare set of wheels. It's a 2 day event and I usually leave the car at the track overnight.

What do you guys do to secure them? I was thinking a bike chain looping them together but there has to be a better way. Any ideas?
Do you have them on a trailer? Like small utility trailer you are pulling behind your Corvette ? I have a 1 inch steel pipe through mine, with one side red-loctite and welded/and pounded down on 1/2 inch Grade 8 bolt, and the other side has a hole just big enough to fit a large padlock on, and just enough clearance from the siderail of my trailer to fit the padlock in. Works great.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:50 AM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ nice setup!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Do you have them on a trailer? Like small utility trailer you are pulling behind your Corvette ? I have a 1 inch steel pipe through mine, with one side red-loctite and welded/and pounded down on 1/2 inch Grade 8 bolt, and the other side has a hole just big enough to fit a large padlock on, and just enough clearance from the siderail of my trailer to fit the padlock in. Works great.

I agree, nice setup. It looks like you could put another gas can just behind the wheel as well.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Secure extra wheels

Quick Reply: Secure extra wheels