Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:25 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help with dry sump

Hi
I have an are dry sump. My catch can fills up in a 20 min session. Any ideas on what I can change to stop that from happening?
In addition to that I have a little filter on the top of my valve cover. That will also leak oil during track sessions.
If I don't empty the catch can after every session it will overflow. Pain to clean up.
Pics of setup below.
Thanks I advance.
Attached Images     
Old 11-22-2015, 04:32 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Which dry sump do you have? I'm looking at a 4 Stage Aviad over the winter and if my catch can fills up in 10 minutes after that gets installed I'm gonna be pissed.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:55 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

are you overfilling the tank?
Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What he said plus... lines that are too small or restricted, engine blowby (leakdown test), oil pickups are not place properly. Are you running a crank scraper ?
Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It's an ARE system.
No I'm not filling the tank too much. It's not
Hard to check the level.
Lines should not be restrictive. -10an I think.
I don't know what a crank scraper is so I can't answer that.
Engine is relatively new. About 20 hrs on it. It's a schwanke motor. I would expect some blow by on a new motor but I have not done a leak down test.
Oil pickups are not changeable as they are part of the pan that comes with the kit.
Any other ideas?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
It's an ARE system.
No I'm not filling the tank too much. It's not
Hard to check the level.
Lines should not be restrictive. -10an I think.
I don't know what a crank scraper is so I can't answer that.
Engine is relatively new. About 20 hrs on it. It's a schwanke motor. I would expect some blow by on a new motor but I have not done a leak down test.
Oil pickups are not changeable as they are part of the pan that comes with the kit.
Any other ideas?

I wouldn't think you would need valve cover breather with dry sump system. The dry sump breather should be sufficient. I have run ARE systems and have not seen that issue except under two circumstances:
overfill scenario (knowing that oil level needs to be checked after warmup or coming off track etc. and immediately after engine shutoff). Some have checked oil level after a period of time in which drain back occurs and then overfilling results. Also I saw recently a new engine, built by a known national engine builder, with ARE system experience the same situation after approximately two hours of use and race shop immediately did a leak down and found an average of 8% leak down. As a note LS engines tend to pool oil in heads and leakage will almost always occur with a breather in valve cover at high rpm's.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:29 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just because there may be fill marks on the tank doesn't mean that is where the system is happy. For some reason at mid Ohio we have to run at least a quart lower on capacity than normal or the catch can will overflow.

No matter how many times you try to top off the system it will keep puking it out.

I'd drain the catch can after the first two runs. If it is still full on the third run then it may be something else. I'd remove the valve cover vent. Let that dry sump pull a vaccume on the motor.
The following users liked this post:
c5racr1 (12-20-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:39 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J.R.
I wouldn't think you would need valve cover breather with dry sump system. The dry sump breather should be sufficient. I have run ARE systems and have not seen that issue except under two circumstances:
overfill scenario (knowing that oil level needs to be checked after warmup or coming off track etc. and immediately after engine shutoff). Some have checked oil level after a period of time in which drain back occurs and then overfilling results. Also I saw recently a new engine, built by a known national engine builder, with ARE system experience the same situation after approximately two hours of use and race shop immediately did a leak down and found an average of 8% leak down. As a note LS engines tend to pool oil in heads and leakage will almost always occur with a breather in valve cover at high rpm's.
My thought was to plum the valve cover vent to the open port on the top of the sump tank. I wanted some other opinions before I did that. I didn't set the system up and I was afraid of doing that but that seems to be the right answer.

[QUOTE=Screamin Z;1590960131]Just because there may be fill marks on the tank doesn't mean that is where the system is happy. For some reason at mid Ohio we have to run at least a quart lower on capacity than normal or the catch can will overflow.

Interesting thought. It does seem that I am just emptying and filling the tank back with about the same amount. I guess I do it for fear of not having enough oil in the tank while on track if I don't top it off each time.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 AM
0BreathlessRacing
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had the same issue with our Boss 302R cars and the dry sump.

We ran the car until the catch can stopped filling up, measured that amount and called the Ford to see if the amount still in the tank was sufficient to run the motor without damage, We got the green light and haven't had a problem since.

We also have had customer cars come in with the same problem and all they did was tap the tank with a drain back line from the bottom of the catch can. (their catch can and dry sump tank location allowed them to do this).

Pull the breather filter off of the valve cover as well. Let the dry sump system pull vacuum on the engine. With a good vacuum on the engine and dry sump, you will see an increase of a couple hp (3-6).

Let us know how it works or your fix!
Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BreathlessRacing
We have had the same issue with our Boss 302R cars and the dry sump.

We ran the car until the catch can stopped filling up, measured that amount and called the Ford to see if the amount still in the tank was sufficient to run the motor without damage, We got the green light and haven't had a problem since.

We also have had customer cars come in with the same problem and all they did was tap the tank with a drain back line from the bottom of the catch can. (their catch can and dry sump tank location allowed them to do this).

Pull the breather filter off of the valve cover as well. Let the dry sump system pull vacuum on the engine. With a good vacuum on the engine and dry sump, you will see an increase of a couple hp (3-6).

Let us know how it works or your fix!
Im going to make those changes and see what happens. Wont know until I hit the track in 2016.
Thanks for the replies.
Pete
Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some additional comments.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-dry-sump.html
Old 11-25-2015, 11:02 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

lose the valve cover breather.. to much air. you also have to be careful with crankcase vacuum as too much will suck in crank seals.
I run a restrictor on crankcase vents to create some vacuum but not too much.
I empty my can 1-2 times a season

Last edited by JVetthead; 11-25-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:36 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JVetthead
lose the valve cover breather.. to much air. you also have to be careful with crankcase vacuum as too much will suck in crank seals. I run a restrictor on crankcase vents to create some vacuum but not too much. I empty my can 1-2 times a season
How much is too much? What type
Of restrictor do you use?
Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like you still have some emission stuff on your engine so YMMV..
I have both valve cover vents T'ed together with a one size fit all T where you cut the smaller ends off. I left all the small ends on so there is about an 1/8" hole. I covered the open end with a small piece of cloth tie wrapped on for a filter. That is my restrictor.
Not elegant but works.
No CC vent at all would be too much vacuum. You need a little air flow to help the scavenge pump, the way I see it.
I had planned on measuring CC vacuum but this worked so never got around to it.
I run a Daily pan and pump.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

measure how far down the oil is, when running. Should be 7-9" from the top, no less. Any less, and it will fill the catch can.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You also need to cap the valve cover breather, and run that to the dry sump tank.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:38 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with Lou G. Here are some plumbing schematics for LS engines running ARE dry sump systems:

http://drysump.com/LS%20Plumbing%20Schematics.htm

Notice how they recommend a line from the dry sump reservoir back to the valve covers or PCV. My system is plumbed exactly like the 2nd drawing with the factory pressure pump. I think the reason why you need a line between the reservoir and the valve cover is to equalize pressures in the reservoir. The scavenge pumps are pumping hot oil and gases from the pan into the reservoir which is creating a positive pressure. If you have a line from the reservoir back to the engine, the the pressures will equalize. If you don't, then the catch can will be the only way to relieve excess pressure in the reservoir and you will see excessive flow of gases and oil to the catch can. My catch can never has more than a few drops of oil in it, unless I overfill the tank.

Last edited by redtopz; 11-29-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with dry sump

Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redtopz
I agree with Lou G. Here are some plumbing schematics for LS engines running ARE dry sump systems: http://drysump.com/LS%20Plumbing%20Schematics.htm Notice how they recommend a line from the dry sump reservoir back to the valve covers or PCV. My system is plumbed exactly like the 2nd drawing with the factory pressure pump. I think the reason why you need a line between the reservoir and the valve cover is to equalize pressures in the reservoir. The scavenge pumps are pumping hot oil and gases from the pan into the reservoir which is creating a positive pressure. If you have a line from the reservoir back to the engine, the the pressures will equalize. If you don't, then the catch can will be the only way to relieve excess pressure in the reservoir and you will see excessive flow of gases and oil to the catch can. My catch can never has more than a few drops of oil in it, unless I overfill the tank.
I had looked at that and that's what I thought needed to be done. I wanted someone that also has it to weigh in.
Do I need both valve covers plumbed in or just the one with the current vent I have on it?
How did you connect it to the valve cover?
Old 12-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My setup for the LS3 in the Datsun is like the first diagram except I run twin cannisters to the PCV system separate from the oil tank/Tank breather. We chose to run one to the valve covers and one to the intake. The oil tank has its own breather tank. We have a 4 gallon Butlerbuilt tank, but we plan to run about 11 quarts of oil in the system based on measurements provided by smart guys like Louise Gigliotti!!
Old 12-06-2015, 07:23 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
I had looked at that and that's what I thought needed to be done. I wanted someone that also has it to weigh in.
Do I need both valve covers plumbed in or just the one with the current vent I have on it?
How did you connect it to the valve cover?
I have ARE valve covers with only one port on the passenger side. Everything else is sealed shut. The fitting on top of the tank goes to the breather. The fitting by the firewall is the return line and the other is the connection to the valve cover. There are baffles inside the tank to prevent return oil from escaping to the valve cover or breather.

Quick Reply: Help with dry sump