Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tighter steering ratio, tighter on center steering rack for C5/C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 08:05 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I am interested in this thread as well.

1. What's involved in a rack swap from a C5 to a better unit?

2. Who here has paired this swap with swapping from C5 uprights to 2009+ C6 uprights/steering knuckles? That's supposed to quicken your ratio a bit.

3. Which solid bushings do people here like, specifically?
Old 08-01-2019, 03:24 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,319 Likes on 992 Posts

I saw in a Gspeed thread, where they are doing the mega lightweight C5Z, that they swapped a C6 rack in direct, despite a lot of people saying you couldn't.

I did some research on the C6 setup and it seems the knuckles have the tie rod point further out, not closer...so the effect would be opposite of faster steering, when mated with the C5 rack. I am continually looking and assessing which route to go, but I've been AGAIN, in the midst of a shop move and have just been driving my car as is. I've been working hard to strike a balance of street compliance, but sharpness as well. It's a pretty delicate line to walk when you really try to dial in the right type of compliance but the right amount of precision. I'm really looking for that GT3'esque compromise.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by gimp
I am interested in this thread as well.

3. Which solid bushings do people here like, specifically?

Van Steel delrin bushings are very very good.
Unless you’re speaking of just the steering rack bushing in which case I’m not sure what options other than DRM are.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:21 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I was speaking of the steering rack bushings, sorry. I already put on LG's spherical bearings on my control arms
Old 06-17-2022, 04:11 PM
Dieselndixie
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead...hoping some new feedback can be learned.

What would you get, if your whole front subframe was being replaced, and the steering rack and tie rods were trashed. All is getting replaced, with coilovers already here. So you are starting from fresh, and ONLY tracking the car....

Would you just get stock replacement? Swap from another car? Upgrade to an aftermarket?
Old 06-20-2022, 06:48 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

you know I've been reading this thread and wondering the same, the two 'bad' things of the vette imo is the steering feel and the brakes (I don't care what anyone says stock brakes suck, adding more aggressive pads somewhat works but then fade still comes on, rotors are too small, and they don't last). But... the steering feel.. yeah... vague and dead in comparison to many many many other cars... I can't believe this hasn't been addressed until now... I mean I did install a 330mm wheel and it feels soooo much better but the actual 'feel' and that on center feel is crap...
Old 06-21-2022, 08:16 AM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The very first thing I did to my car was quicken the steering.
I drilled a 1/2" hole, .7 of an inch back from the original hole (shorten the arm)
Use a 1/2" bolt and 1/2" rod end for bump steer and make up a link tube for tie rod, (1/2" on one end, Metric on the other)
Use spacers behind the ***** on the steering rack for stops. (Ford makes some snap in plastic stops of different sizes.)
Best thing you can do to the car. IMO
Old 06-21-2022, 08:48 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
I drilled a 1/2" hole, .7 of an inch back from the original hole (shorten the arm)
Use a 1/2" bolt and 1/2" rod end for bump steer and make up a link tube for tie rod, (1/2" on one end, Metric on the other)
Use spacers behind the ***** on the steering rack for stops. (Ford makes some snap in plastic stops of different sizes.)
Pictures of this? I can't figure out exactly what you are drilling.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:37 PM
MetalMan2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
Originally Posted by smitty2919
Pictures of this? I can't figure out exactly what you are drilling.
Sounds like the steering arm on the knuckle is getting drilled, effectively making this a "poor man's" angle / quick-steer kit. Similar to the Vettenuts kit, but with a bolted heim joint instead of stock-style tapered-fit ball joint on the TRE (tie rod end).

Just to add more info / another solution to this thread:
My C5Z currently runs the FDF Mini Mantis Angle Kit on the mild setting, with 5mm rack spacers to limit steering travel a tad so there aren't any rubs.
Using a custom device which goes between the SWPS (steering wheel position sensor) and car/EBCM, I tweak the SWPS signal so that Active Handling is effectively unaware of the quicker steering. I have been posting my progress on the device starting here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1603268994
It's worth mentioning I did all this work just to have more steering travel as the car is a DD more than anything else, and therefore haven't tested the device in a situation more extreme than spirited daily driving. For me, the quicker steering was merely a very welcomed side-effect which honestly just makes the car's steering feel "normal".
Old 11-06-2022, 12:38 AM
09silverbullet
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AND0
I said this a little bit wrong I think....
My car's (C5Z) steering response with the poly bushings, good alignment, good shocks, OEM springs, bars, and good street tires is good. Sets quick, stays true, and is predictable, BUT it is really the steering FEEDBACK that is lacking compared to some other cars in the class.
Some cars just have that connected to the road steering communication, GM just didn't do it for us....

Definitely agree. If you want that road feel the c7 is where it's at. My C6 feels reel vague

Quick Reply: Tighter steering ratio, tighter on center steering rack for C5/C6?