Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE guys, what tire are you on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 11:05 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I fell into 12 of the Hoosier r80s scrubs for $500. Way more tire than I need, but the first set lasted me over 21 sessions, including 8 at Daytona at 180 mph. I don't do any class racing, just for fun, so I don't push them that hard, but they have been a great bang for the buck. Down to my last 2 now, but I have 6 new ones ready for next track season. Here is a typical lap for me - so you can see why they last:

Old 12-24-2015, 11:14 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I fell into 12 of the Hoosier r80s scrubs for $500. Way more tire than I need, but the first set lasted me over 21 sessions, including 8 at Daytona at 180 mph. I don't do any class racing, just for fun, so I don't push them that hard, but they have been a great bang for the buck. Down to my last 2 now, but I have 6 new ones ready for next track season. Here is a typical lap for me - so you can see why they last:

Car sounds great!!! That is quite a deal on tires. Is your Harry's laptimer set at the default settings for the accelerometer display? (Green dot is under 1.0).

VIR looks like a lot of fun...Merry Christmas!

Tim
Old 12-24-2015, 11:37 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

PM me where I can get some

Car sounds exactly like mine. It has LG headers and catless X pipe with stock over the axle titanium mufflers.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-24-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:17 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Anyone run the Falken RT-615K?
Old 12-24-2015, 04:47 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I have really enjoyed NT01s. Consistent and long lasting but I wouldn't flip them on the rim due to their asymmetric tread. Also not good in the wet

Michelin PSS are also good. Not as consistent as the Nittos and not as fast but a lot better in the wet. The Michelins are much more consistent then Hankook RS3s, even when new. BTW the 295 Michelins are almost as wide as the 315 Nittos but have a lot more void in the tread pattern.

I think the 305 NT01 is actually a 35 aspect ratio and the 315 is a 30. Net result is that the 315 is actually a bit pinched on a 10.5" rim but is short enough to not damage brake ducts too badly. I would think the sig taller 305 would really damage the ducts, not due to it's width but it's height as when you turn the wheel is when the tire hits the duct, not going straight.
The NT-01's are my favorite track day tire since they are very predictable and hold up well in very hot conditions. Regarding flipping them on the rim, I talked to the representatives at the Nitto booth at SEMA last year and they said it is no problem to flip them. I was concerned that maybe one sidewall was stiffer than the other and that is why they are asymmetrical but the Nitto people said no. Since then, I've had others that use the NT01's confirm they flip them with no adverse performance effects. Although I'm sure they are not as fast as a Hoosier R7 or full on slick, they are very consistent all the way to the cords.

I would not recommend using the NT-01's as a daily driver tire, especially in the wet.....even the NT-05's are not great rain tires from my experience with them.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:54 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Any times at Barber or NOLA?
I have ran NOLA once before, however it was before I switched to the Maxxis setup. Hopefully I can get out there in 2016.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:47 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Prob wont listen, but I've given this advice a lot and everyone who tries it likes it. Get conti scrubs from gtracingtires. $125 a piece shipped. Fit on a 18" rim. Almost new when they come to me. Can run 6 events weekends no problem. Very predictable, great step up. I hate nittos. Just the worst of both worlds. Not enough grip for real speed but still drop off over heat cycles almost as quick as a hard race tire.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I've run conti scrubs, R888's, MPSS, Pirelli P Zeros and michelin snow tires on track.

I can tell you that 295/315 R888's are a solid 3 seconds faster than 245/245 MPSS on a stock C5 Z06 at Rd ATL.

Beware the MPSS! The 245's on my Z06 are at 7/32nds tread after 6 days on track, 4 autocross events, and 4k on the street. Pretty decent wear, however the 235's on my mustang are at 4/32nds after ONE day at barber, 2 autocross events, and 1k street miles.

You can tell they're MPSS from the tracks they leave.

Last edited by Phoenix64; 12-25-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:11 AM
insertclevername
Instructor

Heavier car = harder on tires.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:45 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

a 245 tire on a C5?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Originally Posted by insertclevername
Heavier car = harder on tires.
True, but the weight doesn't explain the wear by itself. Motortrend compared the average slip angle of the ZL1 vs The mustang gt and discovered the GT had more than twice the average slip angle of the 1LE.

So same driver but a car that likes to carry more slip angle and the tires are toast in a day. I've seen other guys tear chunks out of a brand new set in a day.

They are a great tire, but be cautious of their limits.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
The NT-01's are my favorite track day tire since they are very predictable and hold up well in very hot conditions. Regarding flipping them on the rim, I talked to the representatives at the Nitto booth at SEMA last year and they said it is no problem to flip them. I was concerned that maybe one sidewall was stiffer than the other and that is why they are asymmetrical but the Nitto people said no. Since then, I've had others that use the NT01's confirm they flip them with no adverse performance effects. Although I'm sure they are not as fast as a Hoosier R7 or full on slick, they are very consistent all the way to the cords.

I would not recommend using the NT-01's as a daily driver tire, especially in the wet.....even the NT-05's are not great rain tires from my experience with them.
Switched from R888s to NT01s this year. While the Toyos seem to wear longer the Nittos were more consistent through a session.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Phoenix64
Instructor

a 245 tire on a C5?
Of the 5 different tire setups I've run, it's by far the most fun/blanced autocross setup I've found for the vette, it's much easier to get the car to rotate with the brakes when you need to.

Or when you just want to screw around.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:47 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
Car sounds great!!! That is quite a deal on tires. Is your Harry's laptimer set at the default settings for the accelerometer display? (Green dot is under 1.0).

VIR looks like a lot of fun...Merry Christmas!

Tim
It is. That vid is a couple of yrs old and I don't have any with the new updates - if anything has changed.

PM me where I can get some

Car sounds exactly like mine. It has LG headers and catless X pipe with stock over the axle titanium mufflers.
Mine is Kooks, with their X-pipe with Bassani catback. Here is what it sounds like with my Borla straight pipes:

Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
Of the 5 different tire setups I've run, it's by far the most fun/blanced autocross setup I've found for the vette, it's much easier to get the car to rotate with the brakes when you need to.

Or when you just want to screw around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgMjlHfTe1Q
Does that have a 19 on front and a 18 on back?
Old 12-26-2015, 11:11 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

It is. That vid is a couple of yrs old and I don't have any with the new updates - if anything has changed.

Mine is Kooks, with their X-pipe with Bassani catback. Here is what it sounds like with my Borla straight pipes:

PM me on where to get tires lol.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:13 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Prob wont listen, but I've given this advice a lot and everyone who tries it likes it. Get conti scrubs from gtracingtires. $125 a piece shipped. Fit on a 18" rim. Almost new when they come to me. Can run 6 events weekends no problem. Very predictable, great step up. I hate nittos. Just the worst of both worlds. Not enough grip for real speed but still drop off over heat cycles almost as quick as a hard race tire.
Aren't Continental scrubs made by Hoosier, different compound on the same carcass as the R6-R7? I am surprised they survive a lot of heat cycles but maybe the harder compound is more stable.The price is great though.

My experience with Nittos Nt01s is completely different. Yes,they are not wickedly fast but their consistency is excellent right down to the cords making them an excellent DE tire. In my experience the close cousin,the Toyota 888, heat cycles out very quickly which is why both the Spec Miata and American Irons race series dumped them after just 1 season. Maybe Toyo has changed the compound on the 888 but I have not heard that.

Get notified of new replies

To DE guys, what tire are you on?

Old 12-26-2015, 11:20 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

What mine sounds like, this is a little Miata/Spec 944 track in La. Car is on crap 5 year old Hankook RS-3's.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:23 AM
insertclevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phoenix64
True, but the weight doesn't explain the wear by itself. Motortrend compared the average slip angle of the ZL1 vs The mustang gt and discovered the GT had more than twice the average slip angle of the 1LE.

So same driver but a car that likes to carry more slip angle and the tires are toast in a day. I've seen other guys tear chunks out of a brand new set in a day.

They are a great tire, but be cautious of their limits.
I ran 285-35/19 RE-11's w/ -1.7 camber frt, on my 13 Boss 302. Those held up very well, 6 track days, driving to/from and daily. I suggest you look for RE-11 sizes for the stang, great tire.

Forgot to mention, the tires still had much life left. I got rid of the car, and sold the wheels and tires. The tires went on to serve track duty.

Last edited by insertclevername; 12-26-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Does that have a 19 on front and a 18 on back?
They're OEM C6 Z06 18x9.5 on all 4 corners. It looks funny, especially static because the rears don't fill up the arches as well as the fronts do.

Quick Reply: DE guys, what tire are you on?