Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:41 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Helmet Recommendation?

What helmet do you recommend for occasional track driving?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There are a number of good brands out there but I would recommend a "full-face" design for track days. Most track organizers will want you to run with the side windows open. Than can allow stuff to get into the car and hit your face. A full face helmet with a shield will keep you from getting stung by the junk tossed up by tires of other cars or even your own tires.

The SA2015 rated helmets are out but you can find some good online deals on SA2010 closeouts.

Look at G-Force, Pyrotect, Bell, and Simpson.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:56 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

The one that fits your head???
You can go from super light - $$$$$$$$$
or light - $$$$
or medium - $$$
or heavy - $$$

The SA 2015 Bell full face with a wide eyeport cost about $350. Its light enough for me and fits my head.

Want to cheap out - find a SA 2010 on clearance that fits. Thats how I got my first helmet, picked up an SA2000 (a loooonnnnngggg time ago) on clearance and saved $100. That helmet is long gone and my SA2005 is out of date, can't drive on track this year without a SA2010 or SA2015 (for most groups).

Do NOT get a motorcycle helmet - you will be disapointed when you o to a track and they say "I sent you 10 emails and each one said a minimum of SA2010, sorry, see ya next time"
Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
The one that fits your head???
That's the most important. My buddy bought one that he thought fit for 30 seconds when in the store, and then when he wore it for a longer period of time it was tight enough that it gave him headaches.

I have a GForce carbon fiber one and am very pleased with the way it fits and how light it is.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
That's the most important. My buddy bought one that he thought fit for 30 seconds when in the store, and then when he wore it for a longer period of time it was tight enough that it gave him headaches.

I have a GForce carbon fiber one and am very pleased with the way it fits and how light it is.
Second on this. Best advice I got was to wear the helmet around the store for 15-20 min. I know, sounds dumb. But you would be surprised at the variance in what brands comfortably fit different head shapes. I wS really interested in Bell, but found that they just didn't fit me right.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:41 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Depends on you.

I have some asthma and wear glasses, so I have an open face helmet. I use the Bell Sport Mag and love it.

If it doesn't bother you, then full face is best of course.

Also, get something as lightweight as possible.

Don't forget about neck bracing. Find an RS3 if you can. Again, that's what i use and I love it...can't even tell it's on, and you don't need racing seats/harnesses for the neck protection.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:38 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bought a G-Force and will NOT buy another one. Defective HANS attachment point and they wanted me to pay for overnight shipping to get to an event in 2 days. Finally told me it they would overnight and then shipped it ground. Customer service was very ineffective in handling this.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:23 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
You can go from super light - $$$$$$$$$
or light - $$$$
or medium - $$$
or heavy - $$$
"
I've never seen it described better.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:37 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

ZAMP has the lowest priced open & full face SA approved helmets.
Use an SA 2010
Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by FKING1
ZAMP has the lowest priced open & full face SA approved helmets.
Use an SA 2010
If it fits, the Zamp is a great helmet for a good price - about $180 for their full face SA2015 model, and less than $150 for an SA2010. The Zamp open face SA2015 is $155. Yeah - they're made in China.

I have a Zamp SA2005, SA2010, and SA2015, but as was mentioned, most organizations will only accept the current certification period or the one previous, so an SA2010 will be good for 5 years until the 2020 certifications are performed.

Some people may say "do you think your head is only worth $180???"

However, if a helmet is Snell certified, you don't know whether a $3000 helmet is any better than the $170 helmet - they both meet the same Snell standards.

If you'll be doing endurance racing in an allout race car where you're dong a 2 hour driving stint and a couple lateral G's in every turn then you want the big-$$$$$ lightweight one.

I find the Zamp to be great for my 25 to 30 minute sessions at the 6 or 8 track events I go to each year.

But - it's all about the fit!! As others have said, wear the helmet for a while to make sure it's comfortable for you.

The following users liked this post:
FKING1 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

The most important thing is the fit. Here are some instructions from the Snell Foundation about how to check the fit. Also a lot of other helmet stuff.

btw - As long as you're buying a helmet think about a HANS device as well.

Richard Newton
Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
...btw - As long as you're buying a helmet think about a HANS device as well.
Richard is absolutely correct!!

Butt....I think most all of the head/neck restraint systems sold these days require a harness system installed in your car. To my knowledge, they all require shoulder harness straps over each shoulder in order to work.

I have an R3 Rage that was made by Safety Solutions that can be used with any seatbelt - including stock 3-point factory seatbelts. But Simpson bought the Safety Solutions line and apparently has discontinued that product (except perhaps in a child size), and the Hybrid series of their head/neck restraints seems to require a shoulder harness system just like a HANS device does.

So....as nice as it is to have a HANS device, or other head and neck restraint, if you only track a few times a year and don't have a harness system with shoulder straps, then you can't use most of the products out there.

The old R3 Rage I have is nice because it works with a stock factory seatbelt, and even if you have a harness system in your own car, if you instruct in a student's car with the factory 3-point seatbelt you can have head/neck restraint while instructing in their car.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I was at Simpson yesterday and they have the equivalent of the r3 rage on display on there storefront. Advertised fairly prominently.

Let me find a photo.

My concern is wouldn't this just break your back as opposed to neck? Whereas the Hans allows the seat to absorb the impact.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:01 AM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would recommend a SA (auto) helmet, a 2015 standard, if possible. Depending on the DE Organizer, they may not accept M (motorcycle) helments (they tend to be cheaper, with greater variety).

I liked the price of the G-force but couldn't get the helmet to fit. The Bell Sport fit perfectly. This really is a try it, before you buy it kind of item.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I had read that Zamp helmets fit better for round shaped heads. I just tried their RZ-58 SA2015 full-face and that statement was exactly correct. It seemed to be a good fit for rotation but sat way to high on my oval shaped head.

Then I tried on my old SA2000 G-Force and it sits a little lower. Next my GMax M2005 which sits even lower for the best fit of the three (but allowed a little more rotation).

All were size medium. I think there would be too much rotation if I went to a large Zamp.

Any idea which brand is more suited to an oval head?
The following users liked this post:
FKING1 (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 PM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
I had read that Zamp helmets fit better for round shaped heads. I just tried their RZ-58 SA2015 full-face and that statement was exactly correct. It seemed to be a good fit for rotation but sat way to high on my oval shaped head.

Then I tried on my old SA2000 G-Force and it sits a little lower. Next my GMax M2005 which sits even lower for the best fit of the three (but allowed a little more rotation).

All were size medium. I think there would be too much rotation if I went to a large Zamp.

Any idea which brand is more suited to an oval head?
Try the Bells, I had the exact same issue with Gforce.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Amazon.com: RaceQuip 273005 Gloss Black Large PRO15 Full Face Helmet (Snell SA-2015 Rated): Automotive Amazon.com: RaceQuip 273005 Gloss Black Large PRO15 Full Face Helmet (Snell SA-2015 Rated): Automotive

My thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet Recommendation?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
If it fits, the Zamp is a great helmet for a good price - about $180 for their full face SA2015 model, and less than $150 for an SA2010. The Zamp open face SA2015 is $155. Yeah - they're made in China.

I have a Zamp SA2005, SA2010, and SA2015, but as was mentioned, most organizations will only accept the current certification period or the one previous, so an SA2010 will be good for 5 years until the 2020 certifications are performed.

Some people may say "do you think your head is only worth $180???"

However, if a helmet is Snell certified, you don't know whether a $3000 helmet is any better than the $170 helmet - they both meet the same Snell standards.

If you'll be doing endurance racing in an allout race car where you're dong a 2 hour driving stint and a couple lateral G's in every turn then you want the big-$$$$$ lightweight one.

I find the Zamp to be great for my 25 to 30 minute sessions at the 6 or 8 track events I go to each year.

But - it's all about the fit!! As others have said, wear the helmet for a while to make sure it's comfortable for you.

Agree with that 100%. I have a Zamp and do usually 3 HPDEs a year. Great cost for my use, but the most important thing was that it fit. As everyone already said, MAKE SURE IT FITS, or you will regret the purchase.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

It used to be that all helmets came in regular hat sizes but now the lower priced ones come in small, medium and large while the more expensive helmets still come in regular hat sizes. If you want a good low cost helmet that fits go to a shop that sells several different brands since small, medium and large are different for the different brands. When I was looking for my 2010 helmet I tried a medium Simpson, a large Simpson a medium Impact and a large Impact. The medium Impact helmet was the one that fit me the best although it was a little tight. The Simpson medium was way too small and the large felt like my head was rattling around in it. The Impact was a 1320 full face version. The price of those is competitive with the low range Simpson, Bell, G Force Helmets. If you want to go top end then look at Stilo. They are comfortable, light, have ear muffs inside so you can mount your radio system and are generally a top of the line helmet. Earnhardt Junior uses one. Low end Stilo will cost you at least $800 with the top of the line helmet being in the I could buy a car cheaper than that category. I have tried Stilo's on several times and they feel great but I just didn't want to spend that much. https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/stilo-helmets

Bill

Old 02-29-2016, 06:58 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

One really interesting thing I learned from working with Snell is that different ethnic groups have differently shaped heads. That just means you better try one on before you buy it. What fits one person may not fit another.

Helmets are one thing you probably shouldn't buy from Amazon.com

Richard Newton
Cooling Systems - Are You Hot Enough?

Quick Reply: Helmet Recommendation?