Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active handling service soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default active handling service soon

Fired up the track car yesterday in prep to head to VIR tomorrow. Got a service vehicle soon and active handling warning. How will this affect my track day? I plan on shutting it off while at the track anyway.
Thanks In advance
Pete
Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

No impact if you turn off the nannies. Most likely it is the steering sensor and if you turn off the active handing it isn't an issue.

You should pull the codes to make sure, but if it is the steering sensor then no issue.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

If it is the steering sensor be careful driving with Active Handling engaged (to the track or whatever). The car is constantly comparing the steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) to the yaw sensor. If they don't match, the car will try to correct it with selective braking. When mine was going bad it triggered the front left brake on multiple occasions before kicking itself off. It was only a quick brake application but it was quite nerve wracking to have my car trying to put me into oncoming traffic.

In summary, if it is the SWPS, either get it fixed or always drive with Active Handling off. (traction control can stay on as it doesn't reference the SWPS)

Last edited by mdiiulio; 03-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Do I just hit the button once to shut off everything?
Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The message means something isn't working and is shut off. With the Service Active Handling message the AH system is shut off. You don't need to shut it off. Problems occur before the message is displayed. That is when you can get sudden pulls one way or another due to an intermittent problem.

Since the Service Vehicle Soon message is on you should look at the ABS codes to make sure there isn't something else going on that is causing the Service Active Handling message. It could be just the steering sensor but when I used to disconnect the steering sensor on my 08 so I could drive without TPMS Sensors I don't remember seeing the Service Vehicle Soon message just the Service Active Handling Message. Don't dismiss the service messages unless you are sure what they are telling you.

Bill
Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I will pull the code from the dic when I get home. I tried with my handheld but no codes came up.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:00 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

If you have a problem with your ABS module you may want to send it to these guys. I have and so have many others. I haven't had another problem with my abs for 3 or 4 years of tracking now.

http://www.absfixer.com/
Old 03-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

My car had the codes turn on in my opening session at pocono last year. Service ABS/Service Active Handling/Service Traction Control. It ended up being the brake controller computer, BCMS (or something like that). ABS fixer got it fixed up and returned in less than a week for $150 or so.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:52 PM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

1227 and 1228. Steering wheel sensor? Can I still track the car?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:25 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
1227 and 1228. Steering wheel sensor? Can I still track the car?
Just unplug the sensor. If you are used to not using active handling, But get it fixed.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracernc
Fired up the track car yesterday in prep to head to VIR tomorrow. Got a service vehicle soon and active handling warning. How will this affect my track day? I plan on shutting it off while at the track anyway.
Thanks In advance
Pete
I am not sure if this is your cause, but My 2010 GS auto I can get this error by high speed acceleration then left foot brake while still applying some gas to accelerate. quick tap on the brake without lifting off the gas. Never happens in any other condition for me ?

Also I am not sure if this is a symptom of a problem or just a possible condition to create the error code ?

Last edited by cagotzmann; 03-03-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:12 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Check connector at base of steering column under dash. Pull apart, make sure contacts are clean and reconnect tightly. Sometimes that's all it takes. If not then sensor should be replaced
Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 AM
speedracernc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ran the car all weekend with no issues. Interesting fact is when the active handling needs service the computer shuts it off but leave traction control on.
With that being said the car is much better to drive with the nannies off. I will sort the active handling now that I am back home.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 PM
backlash2032
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know its after the fact and everything, but I got a service active handling when I just turned off traction control (AH on) and did a rolling burnout. Restarted the car, DIC indicator went away and have yet to have any more issues... Even later that night when I truly destroyed what was left of those runcraps!

Get notified of new replies

To active handling service soon

Quick Reply: active handling service soon