Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for HPDEs -Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Sealbeams
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires for HPDEs -Advice Please

I plan to run 3 HPDEs this year and think I should probably get a set of tires for the track in case my R-11s from last year don't make it through this year. Would appreciate advice on what to get. Criteria: Want a tire I can drive on to/from the track, but I do have a separate set of wheels just for track use (OEM wheels and tire sizes). Do not want slicks. Have given up on Michelins for the HPDEs as they are just too expensive at the rate they wear out (I have a set of those for street). Should I get another set of R-11s? They seemed good in the one outing last year. Or, is there something else now out that would be better? Thanks in advance!

Oh, I suppose a few other facts might help: Have driven more than a dozen HPDEs in the last few years (and Autox in 2014, but no more). '09 C6 with magnetic shocks, Z51 sways and brakes, cambered and lowered. No power mods.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:20 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Bridgestone is rolling out the RE-71R which is the replacement for the RE-11

or you could move to 180 treadwear and try Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's

Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 PM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sealbeams
Have given up on Michelins for the HPDEs as they are just too expensive at the rate they wear out (I have a set of those for street). Should I get another set of R-11s? They seemed good in the one outing last year. Or, is there something else now out that would be better? Thanks in advance!
When you say Michelins, are you referring to the PSS? Just curious as I had the same question on tires and was looking to upgrade to the Pilot Super Sport to finally venture away from the runflats I have been using for HPDE. So how many sessions did the Michelins last compared to the RE-11's? Sounds like you are one of the few that isn't a big fan of Michelin for the track. Very curious on your feedback and the answers from others as I am looking for the same thing you are.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Sealbeams
Advanced

Deuce Man -thanks for the response and here is more detail on my experience:

When you say Michelins, are you referring to the PSS? Just curious as I had the same question on tires and was looking to upgrade to the Pilot Super Sport to finally venture away from the runflats I have been using for HPDE. So how many sessions did the Michelins last compared to the RE-11's? Sounds like you are one of the few that isn't a big fan of Michelin for the track. Very curious on your feedback and the answers from others as I am looking for the same thing you are.
The most recent Michelins I have are the PS2 run flats. The PSS were not available when I needed tires last summer, so I had to use the PS2s. Can't speak to the PSS tires. After putting the PS2s on last summer, I went to Road America for 2 days. After that, the PS2s didn't look like they would go through another track day, so I 'retired' them to street only as they have plenty of tread left on the main body of the tire, but the edges are pretty worn. (Maybe I am getting faster? Nah, that couldn't be it) So I spent $1900 for a set of Michelins and got two track days out of them: pretty expensive track days for me. Anyway, the R-11s went through one day at Brainerd International Raceway in northern MN - my regular track as you might guess - and seemed to hold up quite nicely, although the track configuration that day did not include the 270 degree 'carousel' which is pretty hard on the left front tire. Anyway, I too am looking forward to others' experiences with a 'street able' track tire.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:57 AM
CasualGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had an outstanding experience with PSS at the track. As a matter of fact, I've been amazed by their longevity. I have at least 9 days on my set (as well as thousands of street miles), and they still have some usable tread left (although the edges are finally starting to wear down). I certainly wouldn't write off these Michelins based on your experience with the PS2.

The rapid edge wear you describe sounds like an alignment and/or tire pressure issue. Was it just one edge (inside/outside) that wore down, or was it both?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:37 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have found the Michelin Pilot Super Sport to be an excellent long lasting well rounded dual purpose tire. It is more consistent and doesn't heat cycle out like Rivals, RS3 or even Yoko AD08Rs. OTOH it isn't as fast as any of those either so for competition purposes, it is not a winner. Like most tires it does better with about 2 degrees neg camber.

Personally, for competition purposes in Time-Attack, I might consider the Sport Cup 2. UTQC rating it 180 but Michelin claims it is faster than the basic Sport Cup which had a rating of 80. (As we all know the rating on the tire doesn't really say much other than where the manufacturer wants to position it sales wise)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with Solo on the MPSS'. They are a good all-around tire, street and track.

If you have 2 sets of wheels and want better lap times, I'd go with R888's. They will last about 1/2 as long (depending on several factors of course), will be quite noisy on the street but will be much quicker. About $1k less than the Cup 2s as well.

The feedback I heard last year was the 180 wear rating on the Cup 2's is more than a bit of a stretch. I haven't run them but the 3 or 4 I know that do (albeit on C7 Z06s) do not get anywhere wear the wear the 180 implies.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:55 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I have cup 2 on my 07 z06 in zr1 sizes. I have nothing but praise for these tires, I got a solid 7 track days and they have heat cycled out. I'm not a person that over drives tires and when they get hot they let u know, if you let them cool off they come back. Never used them in the rain, so no recommendation there.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 AM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure if street legal, but I am partial to R888s. Don't drive in the rain, certainly do not drive in standing water.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:04 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CasualGuy
I've had an outstanding experience with PSS at the track. As a matter of fact, I've been amazed by their longevity. I have at least 9 days on my set (as well as thousands of street miles), and they still have some usable tread left (although the edges are finally starting to wear down). I certainly wouldn't write off these Michelins based on your experience with the PS2.

The rapid edge wear you describe sounds like an alignment and/or tire pressure issue. Was it just one edge (inside/outside) that wore down, or was it both?
I ran PSS on the track last year and liked them as well, and I discovered what I thought was edge wear on the left front wasn't wear per se. The grooves were picking up marbles on the track and they actually melted and filled the grooves. I thought I could take a screwdriver and push the rubber out. No way, it's fused into the grooves. Running scrubs this year.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:50 PM
STI990
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run NT01s and love them, on my second year. I drive to the track on these and they have lasted me about 5-7 track days, they actually start to perform their best when they are slicks .. I also tow a small tire trailer sometimes, when traveling to a further track. NT01s are cheap if u get them when discount has their sale.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Sealbeams
Advanced

Thank you all for your insights. And I appreciate those standing up for the Michelins. That said, I think I will try the Bridgestone RE-71Rs this year. I am getting good local recommendations and Tire Rack seems impressed with them as well. You have also provided me with some nice alternatives to the 71Rs to consider in the future. As always, I really appreciate the help I get on this forum!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:28 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest to first research the kinds of speeds your vehicle will achieve on the tracks you plan to run.

What you will find, is the best tire to use and stay with at least a y speed rating, is the MPSS.

All these great 200 tw "autocross" tires are w rated.

I currently have w rated on my z, but since I may be moving back to FL. I will be running on Daytona again, so MPSS is about the only daily/track tire for the money. You can also get a 18" combo with the R888's to get you Y rated. These 2 options, and maybe all options, require 18" wheels at least (for y speed rating).
Old 03-23-2016, 05:16 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sealbeams
Thank you all for your insights. And I appreciate those standing up for the Michelins. That said, I think I will try the Bridgestone RE-71Rs this year. I am getting good local recommendations and Tire Rack seems impressed with them as well. You have also provided me with some nice alternatives to the 71Rs to consider in the future. As always, I really appreciate the help I get on this forum!
I have heard scary things about wear (and I have not owned them for long enough to find out) but the RE-71R seems pretty competitive in the discussion.

I think it is a bit faster than a NT01, maybe even competitive with a first day R888. As a bonus it has things like some void area, reasonable noise levels on the street and a compound that felt pretty solid in the wet.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Sealbeams
Advanced

Well, OOPS! I forgot about the speed rating and I should know better. My 'home' track of Brainerd has a very long straight and I am currently exceeding 150 at the end of it and hoping to do better. So, I guess I will go back to the Michelin PSS and keep an eye out this year for the RE-71Rs and see what the general reaction is. Again thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Pros and Cons on tires: sticky tires such as R7's allow one to enter the turn faster and add power sooner, thus, you are harder on wheel bearings and murder with heat on ALL fluids. Also, you will have a much higher allowed speed before reaching the limits of 'out of control' and, thus, you darned well better know how to regain control! Now, the more progressive street tire will allow you to reach the edge of control at much lower speeds and allow learning the finer aspects of car control without exposure to more dire consequences. Also, the car is in a more comfortable speed parameter for wear and temperature control. Most of us learn these rules by breaking, repairing and witnessing great outflow of wealth while chasing that elusive perfect, indestructible and sexy as all get-out racecar! BTW, you will probably find that unicorn before running up on the perfect racecar. IOW, the R7's won't work unless the car is "up to speed". But, the Firestone wide ovals will allow for plenty of fun with what you have. You can probably enjoy 3 times the track days with a good street tire as opposed to a track ready R7 in the view of reliability and expense on the rest of the car.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
...Now, the more progressive street tire will allow you to reach the edge of control at much lower speeds and allow learning the finer aspects of car control without exposure to more dire consequences. Also, the car is in a more comfortable speed parameter for wear and temperature control. .....,You can probably enjoy 3 times the track days with a good street tire as opposed to a track ready R7 in the view of reliability and expense on the rest of the car.
It is so refreshing to see experienced advice with a perspective on fun at a reasonable cost, rather than blowing through $$$$ for the sake of a few extra MPH or slightly lower lap time.

If true racing is your thing, go for it. But most of us just wanna have some fun, and too many lose sight of that (occasionally including myself).

Good luck with your decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for HPDEs -Advice Please

Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
.....Most of us learn these rules by breaking, repairing and witnessing great outflow of wealth while chasing that elusive perfect, indestructible and sexy as all get-out racecar.......
$$$$-GONE-GONE-GONE, truer words cannot be said
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM
legomaster141
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how the RE-71R does on the track. I've heard people say that they've heard people say they can't hold the heat our cars produce on the track and wear a lot quicker. It'd be nice to get some first hand experience.

I've done 6 track days on RS-3's out at TWS, and will be doing 4 more track days before it closes, but on a square 18x10.5 setup, so I'm trying to decide on new tires for it. I was between RS-3's again and RE-71R, and I'm leaning towards RS-3. However, now you guys brought up the PSS, which I haven't considered before.

For those having tracked on PSS's and/or RS-3's, would I be losing learning experience by moving to the less grippy PSS versus the RS-3, or do they pretty much have the same grip on the track? The PSS is $50 more per tire, so thats something else to consider, but they should get more life, right?

These tires are track and autocross only for me.

I went through one full set of RS-3 (heat cycled out before the tread wore out) over the course of 80 autocross runs and 400 minutes of track time.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had both RS3S and PSSs. The Hankook is faster but not consistent at all. IMO it couldn't take the heat of even just a few laps. Maybe great for autocross but not HPDE. Michelin is slower for a lap or 2 but better in just about any other aspect.

Quick Reply: Tires for HPDEs -Advice Please