Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which HANS device?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:34 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

Default Which HANS device?

I only do the occasional track day, but would like to continue living so looking at getting a HANS device. Which one? Size? I'm 6'1" and 210. (I do have a harness bar and harnesses)

Best place to purchase? Looked at SafeRacer.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I purchased mine at a shop that could install it as well. They usually supported the events I went to so I purchased right at the event, they recommended the size, installed the mounts, had me get in the car and then adjusted the belts so they fit properly with the HANS. There was no extra cost for the setup but I knew it was done correctly.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-26-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:26 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I have a hans and a hybrid. Most Hans devices don't do much for side impact thus the reason for halo's on the upper part of track seats. However, the hybrid does give some protection for side loads for those without halo restraints. Since most track day vehicles have no halo (restricted view, especially without a spotter) there are times the hybrid is probably better. It offers protection even with only factory 3 point belts. I got mine from Craig at this link. He attends quite a few track days so you might be able to get one adjusted by him without extra charge.

http://www.usracegear.com/page/482254548
Old 03-26-2016, 03:38 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I had a Hans carbon one, was nice and light, but not comfy.

I switched to a Necksgen and love it... Good mobility, lateral protection, and comfy to boot!
Old 03-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had three carbon fiber HANS devices and they have all been great. It seems like most if not all professional drivers use the HANS... If it's good enough for the Pros it's good enough for me.

Charley
Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
I had a Hans carbon one, was nice and light, but not comfy.

I switched to a Necksgen and love it... Good mobility, lateral protection, and comfy to boot!
+1 for the Necksgen.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:27 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I have a Necksgen, don't have any experience with the other types.

I do know this, as soon as I start driving, I don't even realize that I'm wearing it.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am interested in this new neck restraint:

https://www.schrothracing.com/competition/shr-flex/shr-flex-hnr
Old 03-28-2016, 10:26 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i'm in the safety biz. i can brake it down.

#1 hans owns the rights to the sliding tethers. all other manufactures have a triangulated tethers to get around the patent.
to me as a driver that sliding tether makes all the difference. while driving i never notice my hans, until i do something stupid.

#2 the triangulated tethers are marketed as side impact protection, and they shouldn't be. a human body can only take 25-45G before you become hamburger. that can happen in a 40mph crash. you want your seat to absorb side impacts and decelerate your body to reduce the G load your body absorbs. what you don't want is your upper body to decelerate your head, this puts more G load on your upper body. side loads need a seat with a halo or a seat with a net.

a good place to buy US Race gear, Vengence road racing, XP performance, jdp motorsports.

90% of the people that buy a hans get a medium 20.
guys who enjoy the gym and have some real "lats" need a large.
if you have a formula car (lying down seating position) get a 30* if you have a GT can and a formula car get the adjustable hans.

Last edited by johnny c; 03-28-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You mention harness bar and harness. Do you have a race seat?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Johnny C @ OG;1591871730....you want your seat to absorb side impacts and decelerate your body to reduce the G load your body absorbs. what you don't want is your upper body to decelerate your head, this puts more G load on your upper body. side loads need a seat with a halo or a seat with a net.

........[/QUOTE]

No argument here with that. However, it is not a perfect world where most of the participants drive in HPDE's. There are few halo and/or nets to be found. The hybrids do offer some angular protection. They don't answer all sudden stops. But, then, neither do the HANS devices in a perfect racecar. We must remember most of the drivers on this forum do not drive a well setup racecar.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
No argument here with that. However, it is not a perfect world where most of the participants drive in HPDE's. There are few halo and/or nets to be found. The hybrids do offer some angular protection. They don't answer all sudden stops. But, then, neither do the HANS devices in a perfect racecar. We must remember most of the drivers on this forum do not drive a well setup racecar.
in cars with as much power as ours it's silly to not have a halo fia seat. they bolt in with 4 bolts, and it's cheap when you consider the consequences. that and the stock ones are down right slippery.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:49 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Got a fia halo seat and a necksgen. Going to a HPDE event this weekend, will report back.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny C @ OG (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Another consideration for seats and head restraints is to make sure the seat will accommodate the restraint. A straight seat back can be dangerous with the HANS.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Another consideration for seats and head restraints is to make sure the seat will accommodate the restraint. A straight seat back can be dangerous with the HANS.
Two questions for you, SouthernSon.
1. By "Straight seat back" do you mean: use a race seat designed with space / volume to accommodate the HANS?

2. You brought up a good point for instructors. I have a halo seat, belts, harness bar and HANS for my car, but when I'm in a students car I'm back to square one with three point belt and no HANS. Adding a Hybrid to the gear bag addresses that scenario. Do you just swap your helmet/ communicator setup for each session?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
2. You brought up a good point for instructors. I have a halo seat, belts, harness bar and HANS for my car, but when I'm in a students car I'm back to square one with three point belt and no HANS. Adding a Hybrid to the gear bag addresses that scenario. Do you just swap your helmet/ communicator setup for each session?

Thanks for the advice!
Not to step on Southern Son's toes, but I bought a cheap nice racequip helmet and mounted my communicator electronics in that helmet and use it exclusively for instructing. If I have only one student, I'll leave it with him/her, that way I am not running all over swapping gear and such...

Although you do bring up a good point, I do not use my neck restraints in student cars, unless I was getting into a full prep car, then I'd have to use my helmet setup for it.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM
johnny c
Drifting

1. By "Straight seat back" do you mean: use a race seat designed with space / volume to accommodate the HANS?

Thanks for the advice!
he means like this

Last edited by johnny c; 03-30-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which HANS device?

Old 03-30-2016, 09:14 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

My seats are Caravaggio Daytonas which do have the belt holes in the back but not a slot for sub belts. There is a recess in the center of the lower cushion, but it's not that deep to put the sub belts tight against the inner leg. Just want to be reasonable safe in an HPDE off track mishap if one were ever to occur.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:58 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the advice!
Although Johnny brings up another consideration for correct seat alignment with the belts, one also has to consider the relief area in the back of the seat for allowing freedom of movement and no interference. As far as using the hybrid and hans with the same helmet mountings I have no problem. The Simpson hybrid accommodates the same. I can use my full face or open face with either one. I prefer the open face for instructing with the hybrid. The open face is safer with radio communications failure but I always wear protective glasses.
tmtraylor (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:41 PM
Miguel S
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought my Hans, one word of caution about the seat and corresponding Hans angle. My Cobra Sebring is mounted like RX-Ben mounted his, fairly reclined to increase headroom and tuck under the B-pillar as much as possible. I was looking at the Hans III because of the price and weight, but it only comes in a 20deg position. Fortunately I brought the car with me to buy it. We went out to the car to try it out and the Hans III was too upright and I ended up with the adjustable set at 25deg. Basically 5 degrees could make a difference in fitting the car or not. I was interested in the Schroth HNR because it fits any angle, but I didn't want to be a Guinea Pig.

Last edited by Miguel S; 03-31-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Grammar
Johnny C @ OG (03-31-2016)

Quick Reply: Which HANS device?