Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone flipped their BFG Rival S's for road course use

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts
Default Has anyone flipped their BFG Rival S's for road course use

I have a set of BFG Rival S tires in 315 x 18 square that came on my C5 Z06. Looking to get more life out of them for HPDE days as the outer edge is wearing down. Has anyone flipped them on the rim and what were your results or experience doing this?

My research shows that although the tread is asymmetrical, the carcass is not.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I have a set of BFG Rival S tires in 315 x 18 square that came on my C5 Z06. Looking to get more life out of them for HPDE days as the outer edge is wearing down. Has anyone flipped them on the rim and what were your results or experience doing this?

I know this doesn't answer your specific question about the RivalS, but I've done this with symmetrical designs like the Hankook R-S3's. When I flipped my R-S3's, it did give me a few more events. Usually I find street tires heat cycle out before you will reach the wear bars or run the shoulders down.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I have flipped half a dozen different brands (not the one in your question) and it works fine.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:54 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Ok, thanks for the input. The Rival S's are new to me since they came on the car and I usually run NT-01's or Hoosier R6/R7's.

Time to start flipping
Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Last year I ran the Stone's RE71R and flipped them from side to side. That way the rotation of the tire remained the same. The fresh outer edges made the handling come back for several heat cycles.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

If you know they will need to be flipped, I prefer to do it about half way thru their life rather than wait until one edge is real worn.

I believe you get better handling that way in the 2nd half of the life.

When I had "free" tire mounting services a few years back, I'd filp twice. But I think if you are paying, once is optimal.

Now my alignment is so good that once on the front's is all I need.

For street tires. For r comps and slicks I don't need to flip any more.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-02-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:12 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
If you know they will need to be flipped, I prefer to do it about half way thru their life rather than wait until one edge is real worn.

I believe you get better handling that way in the 2nd half of the life.

When I had "free" tire mounting services a few years back, I'd filp twice. But I think if you are paying, once is optimal.

Now my alignment is so good that once on the front's is all I need.

For street tires. For r comps and slicks I don't need to flip any more.
I'm actually going get my own manual tire changer and for balancing probably a bubble type balancer. I'm not sure how exact the balancing issue is since the tires on every one of my track vehicles moves on the rim and I've not noticed a vibration issue up to 130 mph. I'm pretty confident that the "old fashion" method will work pretty good for the lightweight low profile tires I run.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I'm actually going get my own manual tire changer and for balancing probably a bubble type balancer. I'm not sure how exact the balancing issue is since the tires on every one of my track vehicles moves on the rim and I've not noticed a vibration issue up to 130 mph. I'm pretty confident that the "old fashion" method will work pretty good for the lightweight low profile tires I run.
Let us know which tire changer you get & if it works well or not. All my experience is with bicycle tires.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:12 PM
rxalot
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If I may, I would suggest getting an expert from Tirerack, or even better, from BFG to suggest flipping is OK.

Those tire engineers do some magical things with the belt, cord and rubber construction. Some of the tires mentioned in previous posts are fully symmetrical and have no problem being flipped to run on the left or right side (as long as the rotation label on the sidewall is followed) like the Toyo R1R, R888 and the RE71r

The Rivals are not a symmetrical tire though. The labeling says outside and inside. My concern is during an HPDE, you are putting heat and forces into a tire side that was not designed for being on the outside.

It may be ok, you may get some weird handling, or. . .

I'd check with the mfg first. Cheers
Old 04-03-2016, 04:58 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Originally Posted by rxalot
If I may, I would suggest getting an expert from Tirerack, or even better, from BFG to suggest flipping is OK.

Those tire engineers do some magical things with the belt, cord and rubber construction. Some of the tires mentioned in previous posts are fully symmetrical and have no problem being flipped to run on the left or right side (as long as the rotation label on the sidewall is followed) like the Toyo R1R, R888 and the RE71r

The Rivals are not a symmetrical tire though. The labeling says outside and inside. My concern is during an HPDE, you are putting heat and forces into a tire side that was not designed for being on the outside.

It may be ok, you may get some weird handling, or. . .

I'd check with the mfg first. Cheers

WHAT!!!????....you mean the people on this forum are not all tire engineers?

Yes, I agree with what you say, not sure if anybody at Tire Rack or even the manufacturer will publicly state that flipping a tire is ok if not marked so due to liability. I do know that at the 2014 SEMA show I talked to the representatives at the Nitto booth about flipping the NT-01's and they said it was ok and that many do it.

I'm not concerned about the tread pattern or shape as much as the belt design and sidewall stiffness if there is a difference from side to side. IIRC, the first BFG autocross tires that were out about 20 some years ago had a softer outside sidewall to help gain additional negative camber under load. Those obviously would not be candidates for flipping.

I do suggest that if anybody is flipping a tire without an absolute known outcome I would take it slow and monitor the handling, tire tread wear, etc just to be safe. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:34 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

also some tires (like the PSS) have dual compounds. ie the inner half of the tire is a harder compound (to get better wear) and the outer half is a softer compound (to get better grip) I don't think these types would do well backwards.

Ive also be curious about running a directional tire backwards to get a few extra race weekends out of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone flipped their BFG Rival S's for road course use

Quick Reply: Has anyone flipped their BFG Rival S's for road course use