Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The start of my road race/steet car....I got my 3D wing today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:48 PM
Low_bowtie83
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The start of my road race/steet car....I got my 3D wing today!

I decided since recently moving to Austin and discovering there are a few road coarses here I decided since it needed some work and i only paid 8k for it. I would turn my 99 FRC into a road coarse killer....lol next up is a splitter i found a writeup on here for making the splitter from pvc board then a wolf 10 point cage.... <br > <br > <br >
Old 04-22-2016, 11:24 AM
reefer
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the road course isn't too coarse or you may encounter issues.

I'd get some seat time and maybe stickier tires on that thing before throwing aero at it.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Ain't just a wing , you have to add front downforce also, to balance the aero front to rear. Might want to read up a bit on this subject before you get hurt.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:47 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Nice ride! What are your plans for the build? I have an excellent cage builder in Houston. He did the cage in my car. Apex Auto Works - Richard Tomlin
Old 04-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Low_bowtie83
Instructor

Thanks for the advice on areo guys sry for my horrible spelling....lol. I am actually going to take a driving school here in Austin TX. The driveway i believe is what its called they have short course class and advanced high speed and elevation change training as well. Im ordering a 4x8 sheet of pvc board 1/4 to make a splitter and side skirts. I have ran super late model cars and 1/4 Super Comp dragsters so i have experience driving and with loose/tight race cars. I just wanted to try what ive been told is real racing....
Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Low_bowtie83
Instructor

[QUOTE=ratt_finkel;1592056918]Nice ride! What are your plans for the build? I have an excellent cage builder in Houston. He did the cage in my car. Apex Auto Works - Richard Tomlin[/QUOTE

Thanks! Looks like they do great work but I'm using the wolf race craft 10 point cage kit and tig welding it in myself. I couldn't be 2 hrs awa from my car for that long lol once I get some seat time I want to pull the tired 5.7 out and just go with an LS2 stock bore with good heads and a Magnuson Charger
Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 PM
TRAKOUT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice looking ride and the price was right. Have fun
Old 04-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Low_bowtie83
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKOUT
Nice looking ride and the price was right. Have fun
Thanks
Old 04-24-2016, 12:22 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You will learn much more, much quicker if you will leave aero off the car.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
You will learn much more, much quicker if you will leave aero off the car.
I agree. Adding just a rear wing will just add more under steer.
Driver will spend time fighting a car getting it to turn and might not learn what good handling is all about.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Low_bowtie83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer86
I agree. Adding just a rear wing will just add more under steer.
Driver will spend time fighting a car getting it to turn and might not learn what good handling is all about.
I am installing a 4" splitter, canards, side skirts and a rear diffuser before it sees the track. I will have all of my aero but a tired engine my plan is to learn the car we ith aero and id say 300hp at best. Then once i have seat time build a Ls2 track engine shooting for 600hp
Old 04-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Low_bowtie83
I am installing a 4" splitter, canards, side skirts and a rear diffuser before it sees the track. I will have all of my aero but a tired engine my plan is to learn the car we ith aero and id say 300hp at best. Then once i have seat time build a Ls2 track engine shooting for 600hp
Sounds like a good plan. Do some research on side skirts. With the proper increasing angle as they go towards the rear of the car, they can help produce downforce. The straight side skirts will only help seal the underbody which only has a slight effect on downforce. You have lots of reading to do.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Low_bowtie83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racer86
Sounds like a good plan. Do some research on side skirts. With the proper increasing angle as they go towards the rear of the car, they can help produce downforce. The straight side skirts will only help seal the underbody which only has a slight effect on downforce. You have lots of reading to do.
Thank you sir
Old 04-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Your welcome ,
Your homework is reading about aero, start here
Old 04-24-2016, 03:06 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Low_bowtie83
Sounds like a terrible plan. Hate to sound like an @$$, but I am trying to save you a very steep learning curve. Learn to drive a car at 10/10ths before elevating the 10/10ths of a car.

But what do I know. I love people that jump right to aero. They make for slow racers and good people to pass (my wife's words).
The following 2 users liked this post by brkntrxn:
Racingswh (04-24-2016), Silver -V- (04-26-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 04:26 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a terrible plan. Hate to sound like an @$$, but I am trying to save you a very steep learning curve. Learn to drive a car at 10/10ths before elevating the 10/10ths of a car.

But what do I know. I love people that jump right to aero. They make for slow racers and good people to pass (my wife's words).
At least a cage is one of the first mod. I like the fender stripes!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:39 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Gotta love the Fast and Furious crowd, when he gets passed by a well driven Spec Miata....he'll understand.

Get notified of new replies

To The start of my road race/steet car....I got my 3D wing today!

Old 04-24-2016, 04:43 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Your posts do make me smile.

Wait what? Aren't you always supposed to add aero right away especially when beginning so that you will never have any clue where the limit of the car is? I thought the car was supposed to feel like it's held to the track with magnets?
Old 04-24-2016, 05:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you should make sure that Wolf "cage" is legal if you ever plan on doing anything beyond DE..... Lots of Drag-race touches that aren't allowed in Road Racing based on their photos.

Good luck with the build. You might want to consider brakes and coolers before you go too far if you are serious. Assuming your aero works out, you are just going to over-work the already over-worked parts of the car.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Low_bowtie83
Instructor

How is it that increasing my grip level is going to make me a quote "slow racer" i mean you guys are assuming i have never owned/driven a race car or corvette for that matter. I assure you i know where the limits of my car are. As i stated in my firsy post I've been racing my whole life..... I know im new to road course racing thats why i also stated i would be taking basic and advanced road racing classes here.

http://www.drivewayaustin.com/#!advance-road-racing-/zavux

Quick Reply: The start of my road race/steet car....I got my 3D wing today!