Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One - Monaco - TV Times (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 04:45 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
No, you weren't the only ones. And, like you convinced me last race (where I changed my mind about Rosberg's move, agreeing with you that it was just a "racing deal")...
I think a clarification is needed here. I felt all along that the Barcelona incident was Hamilton's fault (if assigning blame was a requirement.) I felt that from the moment it happened and I still do now. I agree with Montoya that Hamilton was "too optimistic" and should have figured that Nico would close the door on him before putting himself on an irreversible course. What I tried to explain was how the stewards could come to the "racing incident" conclusion based upon F1 rules and European racing custom. But that was not *my* opinion.

The passER is always responsible for making a safe pass if I recall my racing etiquette correctly.

Z//
Old 05-30-2016, 01:56 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor

Old 05-30-2016, 02:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
LMAO

Old 05-30-2016, 02:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I deleted it b4 I realized I wanted a 2nd look. Did the camera go to a good closeup of Ham's tires in the top 3 parking spaces (winner's circle)? Confirm if I am right that they were really shot or was that just "pick up" that they do to ensure making weight?

Also does anyone have some detail on Nico's mech issues?

Happy to see both Haas finished. And did not choke on their pit stops like .........

Vive la Quebec in 2 weeks.

Last chance is anyone wants the Fri/Sat tickets for free. Meet me in Quebec - offer for forum guys only.

Haas stuff

Haas

Grosjean hailed his race as "the worst of his life" after he was blocked by Raikkonen at the hairpin after the Finn's accident, costing him crucial time and positions. Gutierrez had a more entertaining race, tussling with Bottas right to the flag, which resulted in a last-lap collision and a time penalty for the Finn.

Romain Grosjean, 13th

“Kimi (Raikkonen) pushed me into the barrier. I had to reverse and that was it. I lost my position and that was the end of my race. It was hard to keep going behind the Manor car. There was only one dry line and it was impossible to overtake. I did something like 60 laps behind the same car and tried everything I could. The good news is that the chassis worked well and we made a good setup. I was in front of Massa before the incident, so I think we could’ve scored points, which would’ve been amazing starting where we did.”

Esteban Gutierrez, 11th

“It was a pretty difficult race. I’ve mixed feelings, as the first part was very good. We had a really great pace in the wet. However, when we changed to the ultrasoft, I was struggling to get the confidence from the car. It started to be a bit difficult and in Monte Carlo, when you don’t have the confidence, it pulls you back quite a lot. Overall, I think there are a lot of things we can learn as a team to try and find more consistency and understand the tires better, which was the main focus from today.”

Guenther Steiner, Team Principal

“It was a challenging race. A lot of things happening on track today but, unfortunately, not a lot helped us. We started off with Romain not being able to get passed Kimi’s damaged car, losing positions and then coming into a pit stop which wasn’t perfect. He was then so far behind. It’s very difficult here to get back to where you want to be. Esteban was very quick on the wets, but when we moved to the dry tyres we lost position by position. Not a very successful weekend, but we will for sure get up again and try to do better in Canada.”
Old 05-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Thank you for that, Brian. That's just hilarious!!

Z//
Old 05-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47
I deleted it b4 I realized I wanted a 2nd look. Did the camera go to a good closeup of Ham's tires in the top 3 parking spaces (winner's circle)? Confirm if I am right that they were really shot or was that just "pick up" that they do to ensure making weight?
Look for yourself (These caps are from the French feed, btw.)

Also does anyone have some detail on Nico's mech issues?
All I can find so far is that they suspect that the brake temps went low driving around behind the safety car which generated a severe lack of confidence in the car given the conditions which, in turn, meant an inability to get the temps back up, yadda yadda... We may or may not ever know.

Edit:

Here's a bit from racer.com that helps a little.
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/130176-...-of-confidence

Last chance is anyone wants the Fri/Sat tickets for free. Meet me in Quebec - offer for forum guys only.
Wow! WTF wouldn't you go all three days (especially if you are actually there?) They do some pretty good support races, too.

You don't want to watch qualifying?

Guenther Steiner, Team Principal

“...We started off with Romain not being able to get passed Kimi’s damaged car...
PAST, not 'passed'

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 05-30-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Look for yourself (These caps are from the French feed, btw.)

All I can find so far is that they suspect that the brake temps went low driving around behind the safety car which generated a severe lack of confidence in the car given the conditions which, in turn, meant an inability to get the temps back up, yadda yadda... We may or may not ever know.

Edit:

Here's a bit from racer.com that helps a little.
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/130176-...-of-confidence

Wow! WTF wouldn't you go all three days (especially if you are actually there?) They do some pretty good support races, too.

You don't want to watch qualifying?

PAST, not 'passed'

Z//
The extra tickets are my wife's she want's to explore Montreal on fri/sat. I don't think she "get's" qualifying. I will be there for the whole show. Go Kimi, Go Haas.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

The extra tickets are my wife's she want's to explore Montreal on fri/sat. I don't think she "get's" qualifying.
There will be an inquiry re: your failure to educate...

I will be there for the whole show. Go Kimi, Go Haas.
Ah. Good. That eliminates THAT inquiry about *you* :-)

I'll say it again - you'll enjoy Montreal. Be sure and have your wife explore underground Montreal. There's a whole "second city" underneath that's quite surprising. I got used to the idea in Europe but I was surprised to find the same in Montreal.

And completely off topic - Serious congrats to Alexander Rossi re: Indy victory. Adam Cooper reports that "huge applause" erupted in the Monaco press center when he won the race. Not bad at all for your second ever oval race.

Z//
The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 06:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

And completely off topic - Serious congrats to Alexander Rossi re: Indy victory. Adam Cooper reports that "huge applause" erupted in the Monaco press center when he won the race. Not bad at all for your second ever oval race.

Z//
The American drove for Manor F1
Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,402 Likes on 750 Posts

Z//
It was a great win on a fuel gambit. Rossi was in the top 10 virtually the entire race, pitstops were clean, and they had a plan and executed it. He ran out of fuel half a lap coasting down after the checkered flag.

Some people whine about fuel-economy wins. I don't; managing your fuel is as much a part of racing as managing your tires, or any other part of your equipment.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Some people whine about fuel-economy wins. I don't; managing your fuel is as much a part of racing as managing your tires, or any other part of your equipment.
I have bemoaned it in the past when it became the norm for a series. In this case, the way the race went dictated this outcome so, while it would have been nice to have a real "shoot-out" for the last few laps of the 100th, it is what it is and it's understandable. Just don't expect racing fans to accept the "economy run" as the way more than a small percentage of races go.

You'll notice that the fuel consumption graphic that F1 used to put up for these new power units has disappeared... I'd like to think that it's because they realized that people want to see *racing* and not a reenactment of the old Mobil Economy Run. Too often we were hearing pit-to-driver communications saying "coast!"

Z//
Old 05-30-2016, 07:35 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I have bemoaned it in the past when it became the norm for a series. In this case, the way the race went dictated this outcome so, while it would have been nice to have a real "shoot-out" for the last few laps of the 100th, it is what it is and it's understandable. Just don't expect racing fans to accept the "economy run" as the way more than a small percentage of races go.
Ohhh, yeah! Do it once every few seasons and people are good with it. Do it as even a small regular percentage of the time and EVERYONE (including me) hates it.

Plus it was Rossi. If it had been one of the more regular winners it wouldn't have been accepted nearly as well.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Plus it was Rossi. If it had been one of the more regular winners it wouldn't have been accepted nearly as well.
The fact that it was Rossi is the only reason that I'm even discussing it. It does please me to see a good talent come to the fore and I'm sure he can use the $$$. I also like that he was running the old Parnelli Jones car number 98 (and son PJ Jones' number as well when he was driving for Dan Gurney in the IMSA GTP days.) A nice homage.

Z//
Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

There will be an inquiry re: your failure to educate...

Ah. Good. That eliminates THAT inquiry about *you* :-)

I'll say it again - you'll enjoy Montreal. Be sure and have your wife explore underground Montreal. There's a whole "second city" underneath that's quite surprising. I got used to the idea in Europe but I was surprised to find the same in Montreal.

Z//
I would really like Kimi to have a glorious race or two before he fades.

Rossi = love rookie winners, boy how that must frost the guys who have multi 500's in their resume.

Wife = go along to get along.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

I would really like Kimi to have a glorious race or two before he fades.
I feel that it might be too late

But then Kimi has never been one who seemed capable of carrying a less-than-optimal car. I will forever think of him as "steering rack Kimi." Vettel just thumps him pretty much everywhere. Of course, Vettel likes having Kimi as #2. Duh

Rossi = love rookie winners, boy how that must frost the guys who have multi 500's in their resume.
Like so many other forms of racing the 500 has become ever more formulaic. The cars are designed to be as close as possible so what's left to differentiate you is a good engineer and a capable driver. Experience counts, of course, but those multi-500 winners would be the first to tell you that luck continues to play a big role and probably even more so than in the past since so many other variable have been eliminated or massively reduced. It used to be that you could count on X percent of the cars to drop out with mechanical failures. Now, as in F1, that's become quite rare and what now gets you is active human mistakes. Rossi won by being smart, a quick learner, and trusting completely in what the team (experienced winners) told him. That's very different from the days of, say, AJ Foyt.

Wife = go along to get along.
Oh, absolutely!! Happy wife = happy life. You're preachin' to the choir on this one.

Z//
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

It used to be that you could count on X percent of the cars to drop out with mechanical failures.

Z//
Most famous words at the Indy 500: "Gentlemen, start your engines!"

2nd most famous words: "Andretti slows on the back stretch!"
Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Re the 500 I do feel for that young kid who was coming fast & went 3 wide & drove it into the wall, sorry forgot his name. Talk about experience & lack of, that was never going to work.

It was fun to watch.

Get notified of new replies

To Formula One - Monaco - TV Times (U.S.)

Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Re the 500 I do feel for that young kid who was coming fast & went 3 wide & drove it into the wall, sorry forgot his name. Talk about experience & lack of, that was never going to work.

It was fun to watch.

Youngest Indy 500 driver

https://racingnews.co/2016/05/26/sag...dy-500-driver/

should make for a good episode

Old 05-31-2016, 02:41 PM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most famous words at the Indy 500: "Gentlemen, start your engines!"

2nd most famous words: "Andretti slows on the back stretch!"

... and "Does Michael need a Yellow?"
Old 06-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Stewards made a good no-call when [Hamilton] busted the chicane, DR was just about the same distance back at the exit as he would have been if Hamilton had made the chicane.
Adam Cooper has a short piece on Motorsport.com that details the stewards' decision:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/an...battle-742601/

Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 06-01-2016 at 12:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VetteDrmr (06-01-2016)

Quick Reply: Formula One - Monaco - TV Times (U.S.)