Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronics and sensor solutions for race seats (C6)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Electronics and sensor solutions for race seats (C6)?

So I think I figured out the slider and seat portion of my race seat install but I am having a bit of trouble with the electronics part. I think I have it figured out but wanted some input before I make my purchases...

I have a 2006 C6, swapping out both the driver and passenger seats for race seats. Drivers seat is power and passenger seat is manual slider. I want to retain the telescoping steering wheel, passenger front airbag functionality, and not have any alarms from sensors.

For the drivers side it looks like I'll need to reuse or buy the OEM wiring harness. With the harness I can plug in the memory seat module and mount that to the race seat.

For the passenger side it looks like I'll need to reuse or buy the OEM wiring harness. With the harness I can plug in the passenger presence weight bladder and mount these to the race seat.

Separately from these I'll need airbag simulators since I won't have side airbags anymore. And I know I'll need some seat receptacle simulators when I use a harness to not get any seat belt alarms.

Is there anything else I'll need to get? I don't want to get all the way through the install and found out I'm missing a small sensor or box or something.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Call Dan at Vetteworks at 1-253-223-4968. He's in Washington state.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

PM me your contact info and I'll call him. I've bought many things from him over the years.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Buy your seat harnesses from wrecking yards. A lot cheaper to get and usually just as good. I posted a how to on wiring a pair of single pole double throw relays so you could get around using the memory module. They just replace the relays inside the module. Once you have them wired just splice the wires from them into the appropriate wires on the used seat harness. Not sure what the harness might cost but purchasing the relays at an electronics supply store or on the internet shouldn't be more than $15 plus a few bucks for some wire.

Building the circuit is no where near as hard as adding trailer wiring to your vehicle.

The only issue that you may have with adding the passenger presence module to the passenger seat is calibrating it. Try testing it with 50 and 70 lb weights and see if the indicator on the mirror indicates the passenger air bag is on. Do some research to find out what weight sould turn on the system. If you need to calibrate the sensor I believe you need a Tech 2 to do that.

Bill
Old 06-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
PM me your contact info and I'll call him. I've bought many things from him over the years.
Thanks, I'm sure he is just busy. I'll try a few more times and if I still can't an answer I'll reach out so you can forward my information.

Funny enough as I was typing this I got a call from Dan. Very helpful to talk to him, I think I have it all figured out.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Buy your seat harnesses from wrecking yards. A lot cheaper to get and usually just as good. I posted a how to on wiring a pair of single pole double throw relays so you could get around using the memory module. They just replace the relays inside the module. Once you have them wired just splice the wires from them into the appropriate wires on the used seat harness. Not sure what the harness might cost but purchasing the relays at an electronics supply store or on the internet shouldn't be more than $15 plus a few bucks for some wire.

Building the circuit is no where near as hard as adding trailer wiring to your vehicle.

The only issue that you may have with adding the passenger presence module to the passenger seat is calibrating it. Try testing it with 50 and 70 lb weights and see if the indicator on the mirror indicates the passenger air bag is on. Do some research to find out what weight sould turn on the system. If you need to calibrate the sensor I believe you need a Tech 2 to do that.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Great tip on the passenger side presence sensor. I don't have a Tech 2, but next time I'd bring it in for service I can have them calibrate it. I have a great dealership that can help with that but good to know that'll be a problem now instead of later.

Regarding the rest of the harness stuff it looks like Dan was able to come up with a solution for me. Once I get it all in I will share my experiences so this hopefully answers the question for anyone else trying to switch over to race seats.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 06-02-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronics and sensor solutions for race seats (C6)?

Quick Reply: Electronics and sensor solutions for race seats (C6)?