Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo (Autocross) Rules Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Default SCCA Solo (Autocross) Rules Clarification

I usually only do HPDE style events but went to a Houston SCCA autocross this past weekend and finished first in Super Street, I was a bit surprised since there was an Elise, GT3, Cayman and another C7. Anyways since it looks like I can be competitive I'm considering doing more SCCA autocross. I've been reviewing the rules for Street Category and for the most part things are pretty self explanatory.

However I have a question in regards to side skirts. I was planning on adding side skirts to my '16 C7 Z51 to help minimize rocks being thrown up (plus I think it looks good) however would that throw me into SSP? I really do not see how they can provide any sort of competitive advantage. Especially at autocross speeds. Not to mention C7 Z06s are in the same class and they have similar side skirts (granted it comes from OEM like that).

Also can someone clarify that statement in the Street Category rules that reads "Option package conversion may be performed between specific vehicles of a particular make and model, but only between configurations from within a particular model year. Such conversion must be totally complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section. These requirements are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable a feature which distinguishes one model from another." To me that sounds like it is saying you can use aero pieces from a '16 C7 Z06 on a '16 C7 Stingray. Or am I misreading that?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:15 AM
reefer
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are misreading that. You are correct that would put in SSP.

If you plan on just competing locally, run the idea by your fellow SS competitors. If they have no beef with you putting on the aero then go right ahead and continue running SS with their blessing.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:38 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by reefer
You are misreading that. You are correct that would put in SSP.

If you plan on just competing locally, run the idea by your fellow SS competitors. If they have no beef with you putting on the aero then go right ahead and continue running SS with their blessing.
What about under 13.2 Bodywork, A. "Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort & convenience modification which have no effect on performance and/or handling and do not materially reduce weight of the car are permitted."

I'd argue that this is a bodywork piece that is an accessory or appearance piece. The C7 isn't low enough for it to make any aero difference and certainly not at autocross speeds.

I'm only planning on competing at the local level and I really don't think anyone with any common sense would have an issue with it. But still just trying to see what others think. Especially since a C7 Z06 with the same side skirts is in SS class, it would seem odd that a C7 (non Z06) with much less power and suspension mods would be pushed to SSP because of side skirts.

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 06-15-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:48 PM
reefer
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You may deem it as having no performance benefit but unfortunately you have no evidence to prove your theory and I'm sure there are plenty of people that feel it could add some perceived performance benefit.

Welcome to the SCCA Autocross rules ecosystem... there are reasons behind the rules no matter how trivial or silly they seem.

Next year the C7 is being moved to AS, so it will not be classed with the C7 Z06.

SCCA was unsure where the C7 would be performance wise and by the specs on paper, deemed it an SS car. It appears the car is under-tired and would be more competitive in AS, hence the move.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:00 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Side skirts are prohibited in SSP, they will put you all the way into SSM or CAM-S.
The following 2 users liked this post by 69autoXr:
rfn026 (06-16-2016), Sox-Fan (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Conesmacker
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's pretty hard for the rule-making committees to make everyone happy. Where do you draw the line? How can you make a ruleset for Stock-classed cars that is fair for everything from SS ( Vette) to HS (Yugo)?

One man's non-effective aero mod is another man's golden ticket to 1st place.

At a local / regional event, as long as no one protests you, you can get away with a lot...but if one does ignore the rules at a solo, others that see what's being done will know the doer is a cheater - and may protest out of a principal.

The SCCA has a social club aspect to it, and people who break the rules aren't liked by others...sometimes to the point one is told they can't play with the group anymore.

OP, As I understand how to comply with option package conversion rules...you'd have to have everything that is different on a Z06 put on you car. Motor...frame...trans...axle ratio....

Last edited by Conesmacker; 06-15-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by reefer

Next year the C7 is being moved to AS, so it will not be classed with the C7 Z06..
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Side skirts are prohibited in SSP, they will put you all the way into SSM or CAM-S.
Originally Posted by Conesmacker
It's pretty hard for the rule-making committees to make everyone happy. Where do you draw the line? How can you make a ruleset for Stock-classed cars that is fair for everything from SS ( Vette) to HS (Yugo)?

One man's non-effective aero mod is another man's golden ticket to 1st place.
It's a shame that simply having side skirts would basically bump an otherwise stock car into nearly a racecar class. I do however understand that a line needs to be drawn somewhere otherwise you have too many grey areas that can be exploited. However anyone with significant understanding of aerodynamics would understand that since the side skirts don't mount completely flush underneath, the result is going to be turbulent airflow that certainly isn't conducive to positive aerodynamics.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:09 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I always felt these "aero" mod rules we're a bit ridiculous for Street/ST. You can buy a $500 lip, side skirt, rear valance, etc as a factory option and it's legal. But you can't buy the $69 knock-off ebay or other aftermarket versions because it's not an "OEM" piece.

However, there are those that will exploit any loophole they can find in the rules and the easiest way to police that is simply not to allow it.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:56 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

There is a ground effects package that is available for a non C7 Z06. I didn't order my C7 with it, but if I were to add it, it would still be legal for SS correct? Since it is a factory option?

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/01/check-out-the-genuine-corvette-accessories-ground-effects-kit/
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Conesmacker
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like that kit is an GM accessory...meaning, it wasn't installed at the factory on any c7.

Stock class (well, now Super Street down to H Street) rules are that if it was never installed at the factory, on your year of car, it's not legal for street class. Exceptions are only wear items - shocks (ha ha ha), muffler, brake pads, etc....

Street class rules are to be read with the foundation that if a mod is not mentioned....then it is not legal for Street class. period.

If you really want to start doing body mods for appearance or performance reasons...then just do it, and run CAM-S class. That's the 2-seat Sport version of Classic American Muscle. The 200tw limit to tires really negates the bucks spent on power mods in CAM.

Last edited by Conesmacker; 06-15-2016 at 09:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BaylorCorvette (06-15-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 10:04 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by Conesmacker
Looks like that kit is an GM accessory...meaning, it wasn't installed at the factory on any c7.

Stock class (well, now Super Street down to H Street) rules are that if it was never installed at the factory, on your year of car, it's not legal for street class. Exceptions are only wear items - shocks (ha ha ha), muffler, brake pads, etc....

Street class rules are to be read with the foundation that if a mod is not mentioned....then it is not legal for Street class. period.

If you really want to start doing body mods for appearance or performance reasons...then just do it, and run CAM-S class. That's the 2-seat Sport version of Classic American Muscle. The 200tw limit to tires really negates the bucks spent on power mods in CAM.
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure since it is on GM's build site. I figured if it was on their build site it would pass their "show room stock" rules. Looks like Corvettes 2014-2016 are specifically excluded from CAM.

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 06-15-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:09 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
Looks like Corvettes 2014-2016 are specifically excluded from CAM.
Whoops forgot about that, sorry to mention CAM!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Welcome to the SCCA

You've got a problem here.

1. You want to win.

2. You want to violate the rules

That's not a good combination. The solution is easy.

Install the aero package and move to a new class.

Forget about the aero package and stay where you are.

There's also a 3rd solution. Drive so slow that no one will care.

Richard Newton
C4 Solo Legend
Silver -V- (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by rfn026
Welcome to the SCCA

You've got a problem here.

1. You want to win.

2. You want to violate the rules

That's not a good combination. The solution is easy.

Install the aero package and move to a new class.

Forget about the aero package and stay where you are.

There's also a 3rd solution. Drive so slow that no one will care.

Richard Newton
C4 Solo Legend
There's also another option which is what I'm going to do. Install aero package but remove it for every SCCA event. Side skirts took me about 30 minutes to install both sides. Not a huge issue to remove them once a month, just not something I'm super excited about doing.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:30 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

If you're going to stay local, you could leave the aero bits in place and let your class competitors know about it, and if they have a problem (good chance they won't care for locals) then go the route of removing/installing for each event.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:28 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

One huge difference between Solo 2 and Track Days is that Solo 2 is a competition. People win. People lose.

At a track day you just drive around for fun. No one cares about your car. A the end of the day everyone is a winner.

We don't have no stinkn' rules at track days.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 06-16-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:03 PM
jesup16
Racer

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
If you're going to stay local, you could leave the aero bits in place and let your class competitors know about it, and if they have a problem (good chance they won't care for locals) then go the route of removing/installing for each event.
^ This. I used to have tiny OEM-knock off lip on the front of my STI. It too came off and on in a few minutes. I asked the regulars if they cared and no-one did.

Chances are no-one will care at a local event. Regional or National, now that's a different story.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo (Autocross) Rules Clarification

Old 06-17-2016, 05:07 PM
jesup16
Racer

Originally Posted by rfn026
One huge difference between Solo 2 and Track Days is that Solo 2 is a competition. People win. People lose.

At a track day you just drive around for fun. No one cares about your car. A the end of the day everyone is a winner.

We don't have no stinkn' rules at track days.

Richard Newton
Whoa! Who said anything about track days... here we go again. (sarcasm alert)
rfn026 (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I have seen corvettes with side skirts on the car from the factory. So if it's a GM option and a option to have them on the car when being built, would this classify as oem if an oem piece was added?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:07 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chets ls3
I have seen corvettes with side skirts on the car from the factory. So if it's a GM option and a option to have them on the car when being built, would this classify as oem if an oem piece was added?
The OP's link clearly shows a dealer installed part, which is not legal.

But if the option you're thinking of is factory (or port) installed for the vehicle in question, then it is legal.

Makes with many independent option packages (e.g., Porsche) end up with many potential legal configurations based on that.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo (Autocross) Rules Clarification