Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Mod !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Cooling Mod !!!

....Can someone provide information in regards to what items are needed to use when modifying the stock C5 radiator fan shroud for the addition of vents/flaps for track days and it's affects if any. I have tried to find this info through thread and online searches, but come up short as far as what materials are actually needed for this modification. Thanks in advance to those who have tried this and any positive/negative feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Old 06-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember seeing that you can buy a 97-99 (early model C5) shroud and it has vents. Not sure if they can be readily found these days though as they may have all adopted the later versions.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:44 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
I remember seeing that you can buy a 97-99 (early model C5) shroud and it has vents. Not sure if they can be readily found these days though as they may have all adopted the later versions.
...I have read that it's only the 97' that had them, I own a 99' FRC/Z51 and it does not have them. I appreciate your response and hope that someone chimes in on how to do the modification and what materials are needed. It appears that it takes cutting rectangular hole openings and using some type of rubber for the flaps and screwed on or pop riveted, but not sure !! I am currently collaborating with a company to make CF hood vents to work in conjunction with the shroud mod !!...
Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Just buy and install some track Spec hood vents

https://www.facebook.com/Trackspec-M...7999473215927/
Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fmcokc
Just buy and install some track Spec hood vents

https://www.facebook.com/Trackspec-M...7999473215927/
...Thanks for the reference, but all the pieces I will be using (Split Splitter, side skirts, wings, and vents) will all be in carbon fiber and of my design and will be available soon, once I become a forum vendor. I am still interested the shroud modification.........anyone !!! Also need someone with a Tiger Shark front facia for R&D on full CF splitter in So. Cal. PM if interested.....
Old 06-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
....Can someone provide information in regards to what items are needed to use when modifying the stock C5 radiator fan shroud for the addition of vents/flaps for track days and it's affects if any. I have tried to find this info through thread and online searches, but come up short as far as what materials are actually needed for this modification. Thanks in advance to those who have tried this and any positive/negative feedback would be greatly appreciated...
I had a 97 and an 03. The difference between the two was the 03 had the vent openings in the fan shroud filled in. The shroud has rectangular blocks on the engine side that are formed by the reinforcing ribs. The vents were low. They had a sort of flexible plastic that would be forced toward the engine when the car was moving but when it was sitting still the fan suction would pull enough of a vacuum on the forward side of the shroud to pull them closed so all air had to come through the radiator. The C7 has similar flaps in its radiator shroud and I do have a picture of one of those.

These pictures are from the lower side of the radiator in my C7Z06. One of them shows the flap closed and the other two show me opening the flap with a screwdriver. The C5 flaps were more flexible but the idea is the same.

Bill
Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

..Bill, thanks for the pics and your time. I now have a better understanding of what I'll need to do in duplicating this modification on the shroud. One question though, are the doors spring loaded or just free hanging in a closed static position ?? You Da man !!....

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Mod !!!

Quick Reply: Cooling Mod !!!