Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Auto-crossing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Chad M
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Florida Auto-crossing?

Good afternoon,

I have checked the DLB Racing and SCCA Florida Region calendars and dont see any races this summer. Are there any autocross's in Florida this summer? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

In Florida? Jacksonville has a few. Is that too far for you?

http://buccaneerregion.com/calendar.html
Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

http://www.floridacorvetteracing.com/ done some autoX with them,lots of fun
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

National Council of Corvette Club events can be seen here.
http://www.ncccsouth.com/html/2010_sch.html

Come on out an play!

Locke McCormick, Governor
North Florida Corvette Assn.
Buccaneer Region, SCCA
Old 06-29-2016, 09:38 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Also take a look at Central Florida Region -SCCA
http://www.cfrscca.org/

CFR Solo site:
http://www.cfrsolo2.com/

Events in Brooksville, Deland, Daytona, Sebring and more.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Tampa Bay
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...8#.V3UB5vkrK70
Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

We also have the Fort Myers group - just not in the summer.

Richard Newton
Solo 2 - 1986 C4
Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Chad M
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you very much for all the events! I will look into all of them and see which one would be best for a newbie. I have a couple of years of experience in a formula SAE club/car but have never autocrossed a normal vehicle so this will be interesting!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:00 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad M
Thank you very much for all the events! I will look into all of them and see which one would be best for a newbie. I have a couple of years of experience in a formula SAE club/car but have never autocrossed a normal vehicle so this will be interesting!
I used to live in FL (Sarasota). We started a FB group that lists all the events in FL in one place because there are so many different clubs: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424...?ref=bookmarks

It's a closed group but I'm an admin and can let you in.

If you're in lakeland, I'd recommend FAST or Martin Sports Car Club. Very novice friendly groups. If you want the best site, Ft Myers group - Gulf Coast Autocrossers.

There's also a new site in Daytona, but I hear it's a little bumpy.

July and August are when you will find the least amount of events. It's too hot for most to go stand on the pavement all day.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:09 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Just requested to join. I'm in Naples. GCA is great.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:37 PM
twistedwankel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16
I used to live in FL (Sarasota). We started a FB group that lists all the events in FL in one place because there are so many different clubs: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1424...?ref=bookmarks

It's a closed group but I'm an admin and can let you in.

If you're in lakeland, I'd recommend FAST or Martin Sports Car Club. Very novice friendly groups. If you want the best site, Ft Myers group - Gulf Coast Autocrossers.

There's also a new site in Daytona, but I hear it's a little bumpy.

July and August are when you will find the least amount of events. It's too hot for most to go stand on the pavement all day.
+1 FAST or SCCA are at Brooksville/Tampa/Oldsmar and newbie friendly.
Hi Jessie.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
We also have the Fort Myers group - just not in the summer.

Richard Newton
Solo 2 - 1986 C4
Is that Roger "The Original" Johnson's old C4 Corvette? Sure looks like his old car.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM
twistedwankel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would actually be worth knowing. That Roger's car lives on still.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by twistedwankel
Roger ran with number 99 and he was sponsored by BF Goodrich. The car should be an automatic and equipped with Koni shocks. The shocks were Dean Dodge special valved shocks.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:28 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

That car is the real deal. I took the pictures years ago at an autocross in Fort Myers FL. Here's the entire article.

The most interesting thing I learned was about the roof panels and chassis flex. GM had the car on a shaker rig and there was a significant difference in flex if the roof was off.

Then they took the car out to Black Lake and tested it on the skid pad. There was no difference in real world performance between having the roof in place, and the roof removed. After all that testing Roger always ran with the roof panels removed.

Richard Newton
Old 07-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by rfn026
That car is the real deal. I took the pictures years ago at an autocross in Fort Myers FL. Here's the entire article.

The most interesting thing I learned was about the roof panels and chassis flex. GM had the car on a shaker rig and there was a significant difference in flex if the roof was off.

Then they took the car out to Black Lake and tested it on the skid pad. There was no difference in real world performance between having the roof in place, and the roof removed. After all that testing Roger always ran with the roof panels removed.

Richard Newton
If my memory serves me right, I think he had to so he can sit straight up with his helmet on.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:36 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

+1 FAST or SCCA are at Brooksville/Tampa/Oldsmar and newbie friendly.
Hi Jessie.
Hi Doug!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
If my memory serves me right, I think he had to so he can sit straight up with his helmet on.
You're both correct, Rog didn't fit without the top off, but that's only part of the story...

The car was ordered with no options to save weight. Roger is/was a notorious weightaphobe and looked for any advantage he could get legally..

For that reason the car was ordered without power seats, radio delete, and with the gymkhana suspension. For whatever reason, the folks at GM also included the aluminum driveshaft, that was only supposed to be supplied on convertibles to save weight. The thought is that perhaps checking radio delete and Z51 on the order box triggered something in the computer to add the light driveshaft or maybe it's just what was sitting around, it will never be known, but that's the way the car was built. He also used the yellow Revolution wheels (not the ones in the picture) when it was "serious" event, ever conscious about weight. He felt that if it didn't make the car any faster from the chassis stiffness increase, then taking out the weight was an advantage...

The real story is somewhere in between. Yes the weight probably helped, but the chassis stiffness loss took something away, so the answer was it didn't make a difference one way or the other.

Anyway, without the power seats, you sat up higher in the car and for that reason you couldn't put the roof on with a helmet. We used to help him out by holding the top over him when it was raining and then putting it back on after the run...

One funny story about him being conscious about weight and "head games"... Knowing that Rog NEVER wanted to feel like he was at a disadvantage when we started running Hoosiers they were really light tires, and I had mine on a set of Corvette Challenge Dymags, probably the lightest wheel you could get for a C4... Before an event, Roger and I are talking while I'm changing tires... So I ask Rog to "hand me that tire over there".... not because I can't get it, but I want him to know how light it is... He almost smacks himself in the forehead picking up the tire because it's so light... He's astounded by how light the wheel and tire are and can't get over how light it is... 5 minutes later I look over and Rog is changing his wheels from the white "basket weave" wheels to the Revolutions.....

Last edited by Solofast; 07-07-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:11 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

The car lives on. And now, you too can own it!!

http://corvetteclubmi.com/1986_corvette.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Florida Auto-crossing?

Quick Reply: Florida Auto-crossing?