Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nimble and light handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:42 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Nimble and light handling

I have a 91 C4 that other than a few mods is stock coupe. Suspension pretty much stock other than heim joints and new bushings on front and rear anti roll bars as they were worn out the rest looks and acts just fine. Upgraded the rear bar to I think a 26 mm one it was several years ago and a positive improvement the 32 in front just seemed to bind the car up and turned in worse even at legal street speeds. Made it feel like a lumbering beast maybe at higher speeds in comes into it's own. The car just seems to lack nimble and eager to go have some fun. Sure it is fast enough to get me in over my head at 64 years old and slowing down a bit but still up for some fun.

What I am shooting for is a car that sort of eggs you on to crank it up and wants to go with a light feel to it that generates some confidence it will go exactly where you point it and if don't ask for over the top silly will be with you on corner exit. All the other sporty cars I have had have been smaller and lighter some with similar power to weight ratios and some with much better ones. The lighter they get the more eager they feel to me. I did a rather simple and silly experiment. I have an entrance ramp to the interstate near me that is about 10% down grade. Accel much better and lightness a bit but noticeably better so leads me to believe I am just hauling to much car around.

Saying all that is there anyway to lose 10 to 15% of the weight and still have what looks like a street car with a C4 platform to start with? I can add power but that does not add nimble. In the C4 section there is an extensive weights of things section and deleting 300 to 350 lbs. does not seem possible to me. Fully stripped track only cars seem to scale out at 2850 to 2900 lbs. vs. 3240 bone stock. Is a C4 just the wrong platform for what I want?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Is a C4 just the wrong platform for what I want?
IMO, yes.

I drive a 92 on track but ONLY to give students ride-a-rounds.

Removing 350 lbs. isn't enough to make a C4 nimble (if that's even possible).

But then, I'm used to extremely light weight cars on the track.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You can get more "nimbleness" from a C4 but you'll generally give up grip to do it...

Most of what you need to do is with alignment. Going to the bigger bar in the back increases oversteer, but it makes the car slower. If you're not interested in speed as much as "feel", then take out some caster, knock it down to 3 degrees or so and set the front toe to zero. This will lighten up the steering a lot and make the car "feel" better. Notice I didn't say it would make the car faster, for grip you want big amounts of caster and that makes the steering heavier.

Going to toe out in the front will eat tires and make the car tramline a lot on ruts and uneven pavement, but it will turn in like a banshee whenever you twitch the wheel..
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill32
IMO, yes.

I drive a 92 on track but ONLY to give students ride-a-rounds.

Removing 350 lbs. isn't enough to make a C4 nimble (if that's even possible).

But then, I'm used to extremely light weight cars on the track.
I am open for suggestions. 5 speed 2 to 3 liter '92 or earlier a plus here as no smog checks at all, 2200 to 2400 lbs. max, convertible a plus and easy to work on / inexpensive a must. I was thinking a Miata off the top of my head and all the S2000 around here are a bit pricey. I can easily picture a Miata with a small T3 turbo and aftermarket ECM doing just fine to get an easy 150 to 175 hp. with the 1.6 unless cheaper to swap in the 1.8 or 2.0 Does not need to be class legal for racing just street legal and safe to drive. I am 5'8" and 170 so small is ok too. It will never see a track and never see 3 digits in speed unless speed limits change drastically though do like getting to 75 in a big hurry LOL. Good brakes and light handling with plenty of grip a must as well. If there are other affordable platforms I am all ears.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I am open for suggestions. 5 speed 2 to 3 liter '92 or earlier a plus here as no smog checks at all, 2200 to 2400 lbs. max, convertible a plus and easy to work on / inexpensive a must. I was thinking a Miata off the top of my head and all the S2000 around here are a bit pricey. I can easily picture a Miata with a small T3 turbo and aftermarket ECM doing just fine to get an easy 150 to 175 hp. with the 1.6 unless cheaper to swap in the 1.8 or 2.0 Does not need to be class legal for racing just street legal and safe to drive. I am 5'8" and 170 so small is ok too. It will never see a track and never see 3 digits in speed unless speed limits change drastically though do like getting to 75 in a big hurry LOL. Good brakes and light handling with plenty of grip a must as well. If there are other affordable platforms I am all ears.
As much as I dislike Miatas, you may be right (I have about 2,500 miles in them but never drove one on the street). Around here, they can sell for $3k, add $4k in upgrades and you could have what you're describing.

I've instructed in and driven S2000's on the track, I'm way more impressed with them than a Miata. IMO, one of those would require very few upgrades.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:37 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

The S2000 might come out cheaper and easier with less to do probably zero under the hood. Assuming the rest tires wheels chassis stuff. It may be close enough out of the box for all I know. More up front and less in upgrades of dubious value at times. The S2000 is appealing as I believe a 2 liter out of the box with plenty of RPM on tap as well that can cover up a lot of sins if you can just hang with the same gear on a back road.

Before the Corvette had an 87 Fiero that got modded to the point of undriveable on anything but a dry smooth road. I rather not take that path again. Fun little car when I bought it for a song v-6 5 speed GT. The big downside was the brakes that required a lot of determination planning and courage at the time as no worthwhile upgrades had been sorted. I have driven different drag race cars that ran in the low 9 second range various sports cars and walked away from a stock car as more of a demo derby in my mind.

I will buff up the C4 and with luck find a new owner for it that will end up as an even swap in cash for something lighter and more useful to me.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:16 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

If you needed to upgrade the swaybars then it sounds like you started with a base suspension car

The base cars, like mine used to be, is setup to understeer.

The springs need to be changed as well as the swaybars.

I went the coilover route.

They are NOT lightweight cars, you can't drive them like a Miata or an S2000
Old 07-09-2016, 08:04 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

I am fine with the base spring rates and tightening up sway bar links and bushings along with a slightly larger rear bar took out a bunch of under steer and body twist from way to soft rear. Personally even on the street rather have a tad of over steer than run out of steering lock. The little Fiero had some very bad manners that did not show until too late. Trailing throttle over steer similar to a 911. Drift and if lift no more road left. One of those cars when in too deep you have to hang with it and hope to sneak it through. Not my idea of fun as just enough can turn into too much with a couple mph. And yes over steer can run you out of steering lock as well. I find some compliance useful rather than a handicap
Old 07-09-2016, 08:40 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Default light and nimble

Test drive a Boxster. Not the cheapest car on your list but it will require the least modification for your purposes.
A C5 is also a reasonable choice, but it will feel big and heavy next to the Porsche.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you want nimble,buy a Lotus ! The earlier Esprits are pretty reasonable now. The Elise is a good choice too.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I have a 91 C4 that other than a few mods is stock coupe. Suspension pretty much stock other than heim joints and new bushings on front and rear anti roll bars as they were worn out the rest looks and acts just fine. Upgraded the rear bar to I think a 26 mm one it was several years ago and a positive improvement the 32 in front just seemed to bind the car up and turned in worse even at legal street speeds. Made it feel like a lumbering beast maybe at higher speeds in comes into it's own. The car just seems to lack nimble and eager to go have some fun. Sure it is fast enough to get me in over my head at 64 years old and slowing down a bit but still up for some fun.

What I am shooting for is a car that sort of eggs you on to crank it up and wants to go with a light feel to it that generates some confidence it will go exactly where you point it and if don't ask for over the top silly will be with you on corner exit. All the other sporty cars I have had have been smaller and lighter some with similar power to weight ratios and some with much better ones. The lighter they get the more eager they feel to me. I did a rather simple and silly experiment. I have an entrance ramp to the interstate near me that is about 10% down grade. Accel much better and lightness a bit but noticeably better so leads me to believe I am just hauling to much car around.

Saying all that is there anyway to lose 10 to 15% of the weight and still have what looks like a street car with a C4 platform to start with? I can add power but that does not add nimble. In the C4 section there is an extensive weights of things section and deleting 300 to 350 lbs. does not seem possible to me. Fully stripped track only cars seem to scale out at 2850 to 2900 lbs. vs. 3240 bone stock. Is a C4 just the wrong platform for what I want?
Probably a silly question, BUT: Have you ever thought of buying a C5 Z06? It sounds like just what yoou are looking for..............
Old 07-11-2016, 01:31 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Probably a silly question, BUT: Have you ever thought of buying a C5 Z06? It sounds like just what yoou are looking for..............
Any Corvette is going to handle like a tank compared to the other cars listed

Of course the lack of power on the other car may drive him crazy
Old 07-11-2016, 02:17 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I owned a 99 Miata before I bought my C5. It was a blast on back roads, and awesome for just cruising around. The C5 is almost more obnoxious on public roads, as I'm breaking way more laws if I drive it the same way. That said, I made the jump because of autocross reasons, so street manners are not the most important to me. I didn't like that I ran the Miata at ~80% throttle everywhere, especially trying to keep up with traffic.

I've driven all 4 generations of Miata, and both S2000's, and I wouldn't suggest an AP1 S2000 for street use. They have to be reved way too much for my liking. I'd say an NC Miata with a 6 speed (90+% of the time, this gets you the factory limited slip diff). Personally, I'd want the power hard top, as they are way quieter on the street, and could be used 4 seasons with a wheel/tire change. Dump the factory suspension for some aftermarket coilovers (spend some extra money here, as the difference between crap shocks and good ones is night and day), an exhaust if you want one, and enjoy...

Last edited by mattastick; 07-12-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:38 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

How are the coil over kits well sorted for spring rates and valveing for performance street use? Come with needed hardware to bolt on and go? Somewhat adjustable beyond just ride height? Cost? Brakes good or no? The one grievance I have had with the '91 is the brakes. They have never been right '91 or not. I suspect the booster that has been rebuilt and the '1 is a one year only part and all the parts stores sells a one size fits all and it does not due to the ECU bracket. A new dealer one is 635.00 no thanks..

What is an NC Miata? Pricing around here for a late 90's Miata would make it an approximate trade in dollars with a realistic price for both.

Last edited by ddahlgren; 07-12-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

If a coilover kit looks like every other coilover kit, but in a different color, avoid it. There are good brands out there that have figured these cars out by now. What other adjustments do you need for coilovers beyond ride height? If it's just a fun street car, fixed valving dampers are just fine. No need to spend the extra money on *****.

The NC started production in 2006, and were replaced by the ND in 2016. In 2009, they got a stronger engine, different front end geometry, and a facelift.

Early Miatas are really cheap feeling compared to later cars. Even a 99 is a huge improvement over an NA (you can feel the extra chassis rigidity, even just driving on the street). NC is a further step up.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

I have double adjustable Penskes on mine (as well as a bunch of other stuff)

I wouldn't say you need to go to that level, but I do use the adjustability

VanSteel sells a nice kit using the QA1 double adjustables.

You can also call up Doug Rippie, they supplied my latest springs.

You can tune it with the spring rates

The larger coils on those kits mean you need to move the front swaybar, I didn't with the Penskes.

The reason I got on about the base suspension is that it is tuned to understeer. You could just replace the springs with the Z07 springs and some adjustable shocks, but at that stage the coilovers will give you a lot more.

Brakes? The early cars just had 12in rotors, the later cars got the 13in.

How much do you want to spend? Willwood makes a nice 6pot kit.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:50 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

How about one of these?
https://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/

Get notified of new replies

To Nimble and light handling

Old 07-13-2016, 04:32 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Raff sure looks nose heavy and a nightmare to work on to me. Think crank up windows ragtop heater and radio end of option list. Cloth seats fine. Small wheels and tires fine if they match the weight and HP on tap. I have driven low hp cars that were light and handled well and quite aware it is not a 0 to 60 game once spooled up you just think twice about lifting all about conservation of momentum at the end of the day. Pick a good line and get rewarded and a bad one an instant teaching moment.

Brian was talking about Miata coil over kits if I go that way. I am thinking cutting weight to 2200 lbs. will go a long way from 3300 in the nimble department. I know a Corvette board but all like race cars and road racing in this section so hope all options are fair game.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5inWV
Test drive a Boxster. Not the cheapest car on your list but it will require the least modification for your purposes.
A C5 is also a reasonable choice, but it will feel big and heavy next to the Porsche.
Looked at an over budget Boxster nice car nightmare to work on LOL..
Old 07-14-2016, 05:41 AM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go with a bmw e36 m3 or a 24v swapped e30.

Quick Reply: Nimble and light handling