Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z Vs. ACR @ Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:14 AM
Logan Palmer
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default C6Z Vs. ACR @ Sonoma

Took the cars out this weekend and had a blast. We both hadn't run Sonoma in over a year and a half. We had different cars last time, so we spent the first two sessions getting used to the cars on the track. My buddy who is an accomplished Nascar driver brought his ACR Extreme. He has modified the exhaust, and ignition. He's well over 700hp now. I was super worried about not being able to keep up with him being that I'm still on stock power. My car is running LG's monoballs, gt2 coils, and sways. Rich at Abel set up the car, and it's amazing. Both cars are running the Kumho ACR tires. I ended up running a little faster with a 1.46.5, and him 1.46.8. It says my virtual best is a 1.44 flat. Maybe without traffic haha.

Here are some of our laps from the late afternoon sessions.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuj2

Last edited by Logan Palmer; 11-29-2016 at 11:05 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Logan Palmer:
63Corvette (08-30-2016), C5 Hardtop (08-29-2016), Delta Jim (08-29-2016), learjet55 (09-01-2016), Suns_PSD (08-30-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 06:29 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice driving. You guys had problems getting in clean laps but that Viper has more in it. Darrius turned a 1:40.49 there a few months ago in a 100% stock ACR-E on OEM tires. Out of the box those cars are just stupid fast.

Last edited by Werks; 08-29-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

After the initial traffic, I liked how you laid on the throttle and had nice up-shfting coming out of T12. Good rhythm where it counts. I think these cars (Vette & Viper) do well late apexing on some of those corners and that ACR was nailing the late apex line at times. You could see how he was on the throttle and pulling away like he was on his A game.

I haven't seen a video of that track before that I watched end-to-end. A pretty good view up, down and side to side. That track looks so fun! Many corners to pick favorites from. The track maybe a little slower but damn I want to drive on those elevation changes and nail those apexes. Your car sounded good. Nice, healthy, strong and mean!! I love the new Vipers! Pa-POW!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Logan Palmer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Werks
Nice driving. You guys had problems getting in clean laps but that Viper has more in it. Darrius turned a 1:40.49 there a few months ago in a 100% stock ACR-E on OEM tires. Out of the box those cars are just stupid fast.

There's definitely more in that Viper! Darrius is wicked fast! I'd love to get on track and try to hang with him.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Logan Palmer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
After the initial traffic, I liked how you laid on the throttle and had nice up-shfting coming out of T12. Good rhythm where it counts. I think these cars (Vette & Viper) do well late apexing on some of those corners and that ACR was nailing the late apex line at times. You could see how he was on the throttle and pulling away like he was on his A game.

I haven't seen a video of that track before that I watched end-to-end. A pretty good view up, down and side to side. That track looks so fun! Many corners to pick favorites from. The track maybe a little slower but damn I want to drive on those elevation changes and nail those apexes. Your car sounded good. Nice, healthy, strong and mean!! I love the new Vipers! Pa-POW!

Oh gosh, Yeah! That Viper is no joke! That extra 200hp definitely helped him pull away in the straights. Maybe the new Zr1 will give it a run for it's money!

Regardless, we're just having fun! Sonoma is a great track, however you need to understand that if you go off on track there's a high percentage you're going into the wall...
Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

It looked like you guys were having fun Passing on the left, right and corners w/out coming too close.

Everyone was paying attention and there were a lot of cars bunched up for a bit w/out any visible problems. Good run group Post up when you get vids in your ZR1!
Old 08-29-2016, 11:05 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Great driving!

That certainly is great driving plus a super car!

Shouldn't it be mentioned that a local driver of ours officially registered a good time too back in 2014. If I'm correct, Bill Brinkhoff in his 385 RHP C5 pulled off a 1:39.3. Now in my book, that is driving!!

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 08-29-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
That certainly is great driving plus a super car!

Shouldn't it be mentioned that a local driver of ours officially registered a good time too back in 2014. If I'm correct, Bill Brinkhoff in his 385 RHP C5 pulled off a 1:39.3. Now in my book, that is driving!!

That is because Bill is one of the best drivers around. He can hang with and lead the pros at the SCCA Runoffs.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:01 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Great video. Thanks for posting.
It looks like both of you guys are fast, and consistent. That said, I favor more your line and position than that of the Viper. (of course I have no aero) If the guy who Werks posted runs 1:40s then as he said, there is a LOT more left in the Viper. Your times are fantastic for street cars. (Um, that was also a pretty quick NSX? that came outa nowhere)

Last edited by 63Corvette; 08-30-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
It looks like both of you guys are fast, and consistent. That said, I favor more your line and position than that of the Viper. (of course I have no aero) If the guy who Werks posted runs 1:40s then as he said, there is a LOT more left in the Viper. Your times are fantastic for street cars. (Um, that was also a pretty quick NSX? that came outa nowhere)
You guys all have much more experience than I, but that is what I saw too.

The Viper was taking what I call 'perfect motorcycle lines' but I don't think these front engine cars are at their best doing that. I raced motorcycles for a short while and if you initiate your motorcycle turn early it really puts you in the wrong spot at the exit and you have to break your corner exit drive. But the cars I've tracked (first my 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe and now my 2008 Z51) don't respond best to that ultra late turn in but instead like you were doing, to start an early turn in to shave off yards off the track length and then use the throttle a bit to complete the turn on line. There were spots where the Viper swung out to straighten the turn out and you just hugged the inside, turned in early and crammed through it. And you would gain time in the turn. Of course that was part of the reason he would pull out a bit on the straights.

My car experience is all on a tight slow track and so when I get to a big speedway, I will certainly initiate the 'perfect motorcycle turn' on the final turn leading on to the big straightaway to try and carry 1-3 more mph all of the way down the straightaway, but in the infield I'll continue my early turn in style unless it puts me on bumps or off-camber or something.

But I have much to learn and not enough $ or time to do so!

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 08-30-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Logan Palmer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 63Corvette

That NSX is literally the fastest car that I've ever been in. He runs 1.38's all day. 675 whp, and it weighs about 2300 lbs with 225 lbs of metal weights on the pass side. He has won pretty much every race he's entered. Thank you for your comments! It means a lot. I'm pretty young and I'm just trying to learn and get better! There's a lot left in the corvette too! Just wait till we start running Hoosiers!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan Palmer
That NSX is literally the fastest car that I've ever been in. He runs 1.38's all day. 675 whp, and it weighs about 2300 lbs with 225 lbs of metal weights on the pass side. He has won pretty much every race he's entered. Thank you for your comments! It means a lot. I'm pretty young and I'm just trying to learn and get better! There's a lot left in the corvette too! Just wait till we start running Hoosiers!
I think that you are going to find that the Kumho's you are running are just as fast if not a tad faster than R7's, they just don't last as long.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:20 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Darius is a beast behind the wheel or on a bike. I really want to have us both a a track day one time. I am sure it would be the best chance an ACR has to chase me around at Thunderhill.

Originally Posted by Olitho
That is because Bill is one of the best drivers around. He can hang with and lead the pros at the SCCA Runoffs.
Yes he is.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Logan Palmer
Burning Brakes

I think that you are going to find that the Kumho's you are running are just as fast if not a tad faster than R7's, they just don't last as long.

We shall see! Rich is running both set ups this week! I'm hoping the hoosiers are faster the kumhos are killing my wallet!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:11 PM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice driving and nice toys!
The following users liked this post:
Logan Palmer (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 05:31 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Oh gosh, Yeah! That Viper is no joke! That extra 200hp definitely helped him pull away in the straights. Maybe the new Zr1 will give it a run for it's money!

Regardless, we're just having fun! Sonoma is a great track, however you need to understand that if you go off on track there's a high percentage you're going into the wall...
I was out there on Sunday.....perfect tracking weather but a very clean BMW got munched and I heard a Z28 wrecked on Saturday, major bummer.

Did you have the ACR Kumhos on your Vette too....and if so, how long did the fronts last? I know the fronts have been a challenge for the ACR guys.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z Vs. ACR @ Sonoma

Old 08-30-2016, 05:38 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

We shall see! Rich is running both set ups this week! I'm hoping the hoosiers are faster the kumhos are killing my wallet!
We will have an answer to that comparison later this week. I am taking the 19" Finspeeds with the ACR tires and the 18" Finspeeds with Hoosier R7s to Thunderhill. I plan to run a session on each with only coil over and/or tire pressure adjustments if needed. Same car, same track, same fuel load and me driving so we should have a very good back to back comparison.
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Logan Palmer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I was out there on Sunday.....perfect tracking weather but a very clean BMW got munched and I heard a Z28 wrecked on Saturday, major bummer.

Did you have the ACR Kumhos on your Vette too....and if so, how long did the fronts last? I know the fronts have been a challenge for the ACR guys.
Hmmm, I didn't see any z28's out there, but it's definitely possible. Glad to hear you had a good day though! I'm running the kumhos as well. I ran four sessions, and they're looking pretty toast. However, the wear is even. I'm running them this Thursday and Friday to see how long they will last.. I'll bring spares just in case..
Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

We are all ears on the results of this test

Quick Reply: C6Z Vs. ACR @ Sonoma