Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 to Z06 What to expect on the Track

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:06 PM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Z51 to Z06 What to expect on the Track

I recently traded my 2014 Z51 for a 2016 Z06/Z07. It was an unplanned purchase, and my spouse has forbid me to ever go inside a Chevy showroom again, lol. As the title states, I'm interested in what's in store for me when I take it out next month, so I can be as prepared as possible. For some background, I am an intermediate level HPDE driver with most of my experience at TWS: 1:55-1:58 lap times in my Z51 with scrubs. I will be doing a modest track alignment with the track prep, but everything will remain stock at this time, including the Cup 2 tires and CCBs.

I am most interested in the handling characteristics between the two cars, especially with the different PTM modes. I have a good understanding of the different PTM modes and what each mode is doing. I really wanted to love this feature that I paid extra to get on my Z51, but after months of frustration with the car's handling, I finally gave up and turned everything off. I begin to enjoy driving the car after that. My times also begin to improve drastically.

So, should I expect the same frustration with the PTM in the Z06, or is the extra horsepower enough to compensate for the under-steer the PTM produced in the Z51? The new car is a Z07, so the tune and suspension might offset some of that as well? I'll admit I have great reservation about turning everything off in the Z06, especially after reading some of the threads about snap over-steer, although most of them seem to be related to the rear caster issues.

Last edited by NT4HIM; 09-09-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:26 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Cup 2 tires and CCBs gonna make u feel like a mario andretti

ohh ye and limp mode
Old 09-11-2016, 11:40 AM
NT4HIM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAK
Cup 2 tires and CCBs gonna make u feel like a mario andretti

ohh ye and limp mode
Lol, I'm afraid you may be right, especially in our TX summers. Already researching the overheating threads. I'm hoping since my first track outing will be in the fall and since I'll be driving very conservatively, maybe that issue can be dealt with next year.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 598 Likes on 453 Posts

Is there a reason why they chose 7:18😁
Old 07-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by NT4HIM
I recently traded my 2014 Z51 for a 2016 Z06/Z07. It was an unplanned purchase, and my spouse has forbid me to ever go inside a Chevy showroom again, lol. As the title states, I'm interested in what's in store for me when I take it out next month, so I can be as prepared as possible. For some background, I am an intermediate level HPDE driver with most of my experience at TWS: 1:55-1:58 lap times in my Z51 with scrubs. I will be doing a modest track alignment with the track prep, but everything will remain stock at this time, including the Cup 2 tires and CCBs.

I am most interested in the handling characteristics between the two cars, especially with the different PTM modes. I have a good understanding of the different PTM modes and what each mode is doing. I really wanted to love this feature that I paid extra to get on my Z51, but after months of frustration with the car's handling, I finally gave up and turned everything off. I begin to enjoy driving the car after that. My times also begin to improve drastically.

So, should I expect the same frustration with the PTM in the Z06, or is the extra horsepower enough to compensate for the under-steer the PTM produced in the Z51? The new car is a Z07, so the tune and suspension might offset some of that as well? I'll admit I have great reservation about turning everything off in the Z06, especially after reading some of the threads about snap over-steer, although most of them seem to be related to the rear caster issues.
I suspect you will find PTM on the Z06 disappointing as well since from your description it seems like you weren't using it properly. PTM lets you get on the throttle sooner without losing the rear end when coming out of a corner. Your description of PTM causing understeer indicates you believe hanging the back end out will get you around the track faster. The way you use PTM is exactly like the OM states, coming off the corner go to wide open throttle and the system will meter power to the rear wheels depending on the grip available. With the Z06 I have been able to achieve this to some degree but have found I still am not able to go wide open coming off some corners without having the back end step out. In addition to PTM, Sport 1 has throttle dampening and provides some active handling capability in case the driver makes a serious mistake but if the car is driven smoothly it rarely interferes. Sport 2 and Race only have PTM and have no active handling. Although Sport 2 still has throttle dampening which reduces the chance of the driver using the throttle as an on/off switch. Race doesn't give you that protection. Pound the pedal down fast and the throttle will snap open and snap you into the tullies. I did exactly that at VIR last year going around T10. In RACE mode, speed around 90 mph, in 4th gear and went wide open to power down the hill/straight to the next corner, Instead the power delivery was sufficient to break the Pirelli slicks loose in the rear and spin the car backwards into the tire wall. I had been around that corner at least 100 times and still screwed it up by making a rookie mistake.

The big difference between the Z06 and your Z51 is the huge torque difference. When you mat the throttle in the mid rpm ranges you are dumping almost 200 lb ft more torque into the rear tires as the LT1 can produce. Going from a cornering maintenance throttle level to wide open with that kind of torque difference will get a lot different response from the car. On the top end you will find a Z51 will run pretty close to the Z06/Z07 due to all of the Stage 3 Aero which really slows the car once you get into the 130 range and above. It may have 185 less HP but that HP isn't being used to over come the wide end caps in front and the rear spoiler.

Bill
Old 07-21-2019, 11:04 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

What size scrubs did you use on the Z51? Understeer shouldn't happen with properly sized tires.

And... Uh.. you're going to overheat. Don't even get on track before cooling mods.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Be prepared to crap your pants!! Seriously - you're gonna be flying! Forget first gear...worthless....just tire spin....be prepared to shift FAST...the more throttle you give the more you'll love it!! CONGRATS!!!
Old 07-22-2019, 06:31 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Be prepared to crap your pants!! Seriously - you're gonna be flying! Forget first gear...worthless....just tire spin....be prepared to shift FAST...the more throttle you give the more you'll love it!! CONGRATS!!!
There is no first gear in hpde...
Old 07-22-2019, 06:33 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
There is no first gear in hpde...
I guess it would depend on the driver, the track, etc....either way, it's pretty useless on the street when accelerating with vigor....
Old 07-31-2019, 03:46 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Nvm

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 07-31-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:47 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

wrong thread.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 07-31-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 to Z06 What to expect on the Track

Quick Reply: Z51 to Z06 What to expect on the Track