Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine problem on track

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 11:11 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Engine problem on track

Just got home from VIR. This event did not go well for me. 6 laps into the very first session, I see smoke behind me on the back straight. Bring it into the pits, and there's oil and coolant all over the passenger side of the engine bay.

Coolant appeared to have come out of the reservoir. Oil dip stick was pushed out so I assume that's where the oil came from. Nothing appeared busted.

Oil temps were around 225, coolant was under 200. (Cool weather, and only 6 laps in).

2 problems. Within 2 mins of idling, the coolant would go from the full mark to the top of the reservoir. And there is "smoke" puffing out of the oil filler. You can put your hand over it and feel puff puff puff to the rhythm of the engine.

My first thought was head gasket. But after dropping both the oil and the coolant, there was no cross contamination.

I drove it around the paddock this afternoon after changing the oil and the coolant, and noticed the coolant level fluxuates. Even once fully warmed up, it will go from a half inch below the full mark to a half inch above. And the oil filler still smokes like a chimney.

Saturday afternoon while trying to diagnose things, I got a low oil light. Now obviously some sprayed around the engine bay, but it didn't seem like multiple quarts. (They didn't have to clean the track after me). So I'm not sure where all the oil went.

Car was running great, no indication of being down on power or any problems until I saw the smoke. Motor seems to run fine even now.

I run a catch can. Only a small amount of oil in the can. I disconnected the pcv line before the can, and there's smoke puffing out. I disconnected the line after the can at the TB and smoke puffs out there too. So the pcv lines aren't clogged.

I did a coolant change while prepping the car for the track. Drove it several times after and saw no indication of an air pocket or over heating. But I suppose there could be an air pocket??

Any thoughts? I'm totally bummed. Missed a great event. Perfect weather, and I missed running grand course.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2016, 11:55 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

So the mustang wanted to spend time back at the barn?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:38 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The pulse coming from oil filler points to broken piston or ate a ring possibly. Do compression test. Coolant still could be head gasket.

Grand course is fun. They should run that more often. Did you see the c6z burn?
Old 11-05-2016, 08:26 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

I did see the c6z burn. Or at least the aftermath. I keep telling myself he had a worse day than I did haha.

I'm going to do a compression test (hopefully today) and see how that comes back. I thought about the broken ring idea, which would explain pulsing crankcase pressure.

One other data point I'll add, there's no smoke from the exhaust. (At idle at least).
Old 11-05-2016, 09:15 AM
zrtman1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If compression is ok do a leak down test. Look at the plugs as you take them out. A very clean plug could mean head gasket. Obviously a dirty or oil soaked is other problem.

​​​​​​​The smoke from it was pretty bad. Heard it was a new engine that blew on back stretch. Hopefully he had insurance but at least he didn't get hurt. But yeah your day could have been worse.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:28 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bigmackloud, you made out better than me! I blew my engine Friday morning in the second black session. I think I spun a rod bearing. Part of a connecting rod was laying on the floor of the trailer by the time I got it to the shop. I also had a burst of flames come out the hood vents but I quickly got the fire out with the AFFF extinguisher system. I got a grand total of 1-1/2 days on that LS3.
Good Luck with yours,
Jim
Old 11-05-2016, 12:05 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

It takes more time and energy to do a leak compression and you want to know as much data as you can right now. So put a pressure tester on the cooling system and that can tell you alot right there.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:56 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Bigmackloud, you made out better than me! I blew my engine Friday morning in the second black session. I think I spun a rod bearing. Part of a connecting rod was laying on the floor of the trailer by the time I got it to the shop. I also had a burst of flames come out the hood vents but I quickly got the fire out with the AFFF extinguisher system. I got a grand total of 1-1/2 days on that LS3.
Good Luck with yours,
Jim
Well it sounds like this was a tough event for corvettes. You have my condolences.

Thanks for the suggestions. I post back as I get more data.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:59 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

This poor c6z definitely got the worst of it. As they were making sure the fire was out, I watched them fold over his wing like it was melted cheese. Glad to see the driver got out ok tho.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:00 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
It takes more time and energy to do a leak compression and you want to know as much data as you can right now. So put a pressure tester on the cooling system and that can tell you alot right there.
Quick, simple, easy.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Good Luck with yours,
Jim
Wait what!? Brand new LS3 blew to bits? Any more info you can share?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:14 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Ugh, I finished the compression test. All cylinders at 200-210... Except cylinder 7 at 90.

I'm beyond disappointed. The motor only has 65k miles. And I've only done 6 days on track with it. I can't believe it already has motor problems.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:31 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Sorry to hear....welcome to the club. Mine was #7 as well. Block was cracked too along the coolant passage.

Last edited by aaronc7; 11-05-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
Ugh, I finished the compression test. All cylinders at 200-210... Except cylinder 7 at 90.

I'm beyond disappointed. The motor only has 65k miles. And I've only done 6 days on track with it. I can't believe it already has motor problems.
Just for clarification, this is a C7 Z06, right? 65K seems like a lot of miles even if it's a 2015 but it still shouldn't have blown. What color car and run group were you in? I was really surprised to see so many C7Zs at the track. Lots of Vipers too.

I'm likely going to pack it up mid-day tomorrow myself. I think my wheel bearings are shot and I have a service air bag system light on.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:40 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

No mine is a 2001 ls1 c5.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Wait what!? Brand new LS3 blew to bits? Any more info you can share?
Nothing yet. I just loaded it up and took it back to the shop for the forensics work. I'll let the shop figure it out with the engine builder.

Jim
Old 11-05-2016, 10:40 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

So I've been doing some reading tonight, and apparently the 7 cylinder failure is a major issue. But what's the long term solution? I certainly don't want to go down this path twice.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine problem on track

Old 11-05-2016, 10:42 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

If it popped a ring land it will pass a leakdown test.

Possibly a bad thermostat also.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:45 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Good Luck with yours,
Jim
Jim,
It seems like the only luck you have with that car is bad luck.

Bill
Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Nothing yet. I just loaded it up and took it back to the shop for the forensics work. I'll let the shop figure it out with the engine builder.

Jim
I'm just curious if it was a crazy race motor making 700hp strung out to within an inch of its life or a stockish LS3? One of my competitors went through three brand new motors this year all put together by the same household-name shop. Some people just don't get it right.

Quick Reply: Engine problem on track