Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth watching/owning: The 24 Hour War & Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Worth watching/owning: The 24 Hour War & Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman

My wife was looking for a good racing movie the other day - she hit "racing gold" so-to-speak....

"The 24 Hour War"
https://chassymedia.com/product/24-hour-war/

Synopsis
The Ford versus Ferrari rivalry at Le Mans is one of the most famous battles in racing history. It started in 1963 when Henry Ford II tried to buy Ferrari to save the ailing Ford Motor Company, which was being crushed by GM and the Corvette on the track and at the dealerships. Ferrari was the most successful racing team in the world at that time. After months of intense negotiation, Enzo Ferrari said no — refusing to allow Ford to interfere with what he loved the most: racing. Henry Ford II was furious, and vowed to build a racecar that would dethrone Ferrari. Ford engineered a revolutionary racecar called the GT40. The battle would be at the most famous race in the world, The 24 Hours of Le Mans, where Ferrari had reigned supreme for decades. In the 1960s only two teams ever won Le Mans, Ford and Ferrari — Cementing dynasties that would last for generations.

Produced and Directed by Adam Carolla and Nate Adams

Cast: Henry Ford III, Edsel Ford II, Piero Ferrari, Mario Andretti, Dan Gurney, David Hobbs, Bob Bondurant, Peter Brock, John Surtees, Mauro Forghieri

---

And another one that I watched on a plane the other day….

"Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman”
https://chassymedia.com/product/winn...f-paul-newman/

Synopsis:
The world knows Paul Newman as an Academy Award winning actor with a fifty-plus year career as one of the most prolific and revered actors in American Cinema. He was also well known for his philanthropy; ‘Newman’s Own’ has given more than 350 million dollars to charities around the world. Yet few know the gasoline-fueled passion that became so important in this complex, multifaceted man’s makeup. He loved racing so much it nearly sidelined his acting career. Newman’s racing career spanned thirty-five years with him winning four national championships as a driver and eight championships as an owner — Not bad for guy who didn’t even start racing until he was forty-seven years old.

Produced and Directed by Adam Carolla and Nate Adams

Cast: Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Patrick Dempsey, Jay Leno, Arthur Newman, Mario Andretti, Sébastian Bourdais, Bob Sharp, Sam Posey, Graham Rahal
Old 12-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Haven't seen the first one but my wife got me the Paul Newman one last year for Xmas and it was an awesome documentary. One of my new all time favorites.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:21 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the tip. The Paul Newman title is free on Amazon Prime.
The following 2 users liked this post by naschmitz:
63Corvette (04-10-2017), Captain Buddha (12-23-2016)
Old 04-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I had no idea he could drive. Probably gonna have to give him a chance now.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Both of these are excellent.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default # 81

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I had no idea he could drive. Probably gonna have to give him a chance now.
Paul was good! Here is a little blurb copied from Wikipedia :
Having said he would quit "when I embarrass myself", Newman competed into his 80s, winning at Lime Rock in what former co-driver Sam Posey called a "brutish Corvette" displaying his age as its number: 81.[54] He took the pole in his last professional race, in 2007 at Watkins Glen International, and in a 2008 run at Lime Rock, arranged by friends, he reportedly still did 9/10ths of his best time
Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Paul was good! Here is a little blurb copied from Wikipedia :
Having said he would quit "when I embarrass myself", Newman competed into his 80s, winning at Lime Rock in what former co-driver Sam Posey called a "brutish Corvette" displaying his age as its number: 81.[54] He took the pole in his last professional race, in 2007 at Watkins Glen International, and in a 2008 run at Lime Rock, arranged by friends, he reportedly still did 9/10ths of his best time
I was talking about Adam, I had no idea he had any skills behind the wheel.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:55 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

GREAT VIDEO!!!! Thanks for the tip:-)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

both are excellent. also check out SENNA

Get notified of new replies

To Worth watching/owning: The 24 Hour War & Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman

Quick Reply: Worth watching/owning: The 24 Hour War & Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman