Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autox in Rain: Nitto Invo vs RE-71R vs PSS vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:28 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Autox in Rain: Nitto Invo vs RE-71R vs PSS vs ?

Yes, sometimes we have to autocross in the rain.
C6 Z06.
I have my A7s for dry, but for autocross in the rain, AND
street driving, I want to stay at treadwear 200 or higher.
So don't worry about classes.

Opinions please...
Nitto Invo

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Anything else better ????
Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I had no issues driving the RE-71R's in heavy rain on the street, but really don't think they'd be a great autocross tire in the rain at all.

Pilot Super Sport is your best bet if you're actually looking for a good all around tire and not just pure dry grip (go RE-71R in that case).

I wouldn't recommend those silly Nitto Invos for anything but a showcar and getting your Starbucks coffee on Sundays.
The following users liked this post:
NTMD8R (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The new RS4 hankoook is coming out. Might be something to watch. The 200 treadwear tire class has blown up!
NTMD8R (01-25-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:31 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Pilot Super Sport or Conti DW (or the new versions of each). End story. If you want the best wet tire that's 200 TW and no concern about dry speed, it's the DW. If you want a touch more dry speed but less wet, then PSS. RE71's are not what I'd call a "rain tire". Maybe could be considered so if you were in a very dry area and rain is super rare. Pacific NW doesn't seem to fit that description to me.
NTMD8R (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:08 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks Sam.
As always, your advice is sage.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:45 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Pilot Super Sport or Conti DW (or the new versions of each). End story. If you want the best wet tire that's 200 TW and no concern about dry speed, it's the DW. If you want a touch more dry speed but less wet, then PSS. RE71's are not what I'd call a "rain tire". Maybe could be considered so if you were in a very dry area and rain is super rare. Pacific NW doesn't seem to fit that description to me.
How do you explain Chris winning STP on the RE71R's then? Granted they were narrow and full tread depth...
Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
How do you explain Chris winning STP on the RE71R's then? Granted they were narrow and full tread depth...
The bridgestones are fine on wet pavement. But when it's actually inches of standing water something like the Conti evacuates water much better. Lincoln drains off reasonably quickly after it's been raining and considering the length of the heats you usually at least get one run in just "damp" conditions.

EDIT: Did STP get rained on at Nats? I didn't stay for all the runs on Friday but I didn't remember them getting rain Thursday.

Last edited by v10climber; 01-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:00 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Yes, they got rain on the 2nd day. Chris was something like a couple of seconds faster than 2nd because he was on stock size s550 wheels with full tread 255 RE71R's.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It depends on how hard it is raining. R compound tires will do pretty well in a light drizzle and will still perform better than a treaded tire. Yes, the tires will slide around a little more but not as much as a treaded tire which has a much smaller contact area touching the ground. Once the water on the pavement gets deep enough the empty portions of the treaded tire become useful by providing a channel for water to evacuate from under the parts of the tire touching the ground the treaded tire will work better. One way to improve slick performance in the wet is to raise the tire pressure a few pounds which lessens the contact area a small amount and increases pressure on the parts of the tire that are still touching the pavement. The soft rubber compound of the R compound or slick tire is still better than the harder compounds found in treaded tires. You just have to adapt to keep it in touch with the pavement which means adjusting pressures higher, adjusting driving technique to avoid shocking the tire contact point with sudden changes in direction, braking or acceleration.

Bill
Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by chetly
Uh, well. Let's see.

1. He can drive
2. What was everyone else on?
3. STP wasn't exactly teaming with entries,and I don't recall any being the level driver Chris is
4. I be with as wet as it was, if he had another tire option, and it woudl not have cost him contingency (always a large factor in what we do) he might have run something else.

Are those 4 good enough reasons?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:52 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Look. It's a trade off. ALL Tires have some tradeoff.

How wet are we talking here?

If there is no standing water to pump away, it's damp then the stickiest tire will be the best one. If you have water to pump, how much? A little? Ok then shallow depth, big tread block tires are ok for that too. But as it rains harder and harder the need moves from as much tire down on the ground as you can get to getting water out from under there to let the tire stay on the ground.

Then narrower tires are better. Tires with more grooving are better. Both being the best to move a lot of water.

Gary lives in the Pacific Northwest. It can get wet there. BTW, this debate is what is so frustrating about internet opinions. Without defining "wet" it's hard to pick the right tire. Hell it is anyway that's why folks will try different tires.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:37 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

I will be on a7's waiting for you in the dry!!!
Old 01-29-2017, 01:10 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Uh, well. Let's see.

1. He can drive
2. What was everyone else on?
3. STP wasn't exactly teaming with entries,and I don't recall any being the level driver Chris is
4. I be with as wet as it was, if he had another tire option, and it woudl not have cost him contingency (always a large factor in what we do) he might have run something else.

Are those 4 good enough reasons?
I agree with everything you said, just busting your *****. I had the Conti's on my s2000 for rain tires. They were AWESOME!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Autox in Rain: Nitto Invo vs RE-71R vs PSS vs ?

Quick Reply: Autox in Rain: Nitto Invo vs RE-71R vs PSS vs ?