Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finspeed VS CCW

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:16 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Default Finspeed VS CCW

I am in the market for some track only 18" rims for my Grandsport. I am debating between Finspeed and CCW. I'm leaning CCW as they are a bit cheaper. Can anyone give me a reason to choose one over the other? Or, are they basically a wash? I plan on staring with R888 then moving to slicks.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 PM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not forgestar? Waaaaay cheaper than CCW. Call Sam at Stranoparts. He'll know the offsets you need.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Don't know about the others but I have one problem with my CCWs. The R compound tires slip on them under braking and acceleration. CCW advises me the only way to resolve that is to knurl the beads. The guy I talked to said that since they are now part of Weld he is trying to get them offer knurling as an option on CCW wheels. Weld has that option on dome of their other wheels. I don't know how much it costs to get them knurled at a machine shop but you should consider having that done no matter which wheels you buy.

I like CCW and I think their purchase by Weld hasn't hurt their quality or Customer service but there are differences between wheels and it helps to know which differences mean something and which ones don't.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
rb185afm (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 04:26 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by v10climber
Why not forgestar? Waaaaay cheaper than CCW. Call Sam at Stranoparts. He'll know the offsets you need.
While I love my beautiful Forgestar C10 wheels, they are "not forged", not hubcentric, and would not trust them as high speed track wheels with slicks.

I think my Finspeeds are works of art plus they are the nicest people in the world, CCW are very nice and strong but prefer the design and aesthetics of Finspeed. FYI the bead knurl works well and the ceramic finish cleans up very easily. Both hold their value very well selling used for almost new prices, although track wheels do have a lifespan.

The 18" Finspeed fit over carbon ZR1-C7Z or 380mm steel discs. Where the 18" Forgestar do not.
I am running a 19" front to clear a 380mm Stoptech/Brembo disc for my Forgestar street wheels.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 02-28-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:45 PM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

We are a Finspeed dealer. Contact me if you decide to go that way. I have a set of OE C5Z rears for sale. they have only been used three times. The rears have been widened to 12" by Weldkraft. PM me if your interested.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I've had both CCW (2 diff sets) and Finspeed.

Both are HIGH quality options. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:04 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Thanks all! The beaded knurl was the exact type of info I was fishing for. I'm going to call CCW and if they don't offer the service, I'm going to get a set of Finspeed's.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:05 PM
cemaykan
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody know which one of these are lighter?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Don't know about the others but I have one problem with my CCWs. The R compound tires slip on them under braking and acceleration. CCW advises me the only way to resolve that is to knurl the beads. The guy I talked to said that since they are now part of Weld he is trying to get them offer knurling as an option on CCW wheels. Weld has that option on dome of their other wheels. I don't know how much it costs to get them knurled at a machine shop but you should consider having that done no matter which wheels you buy.

I like CCW and I think their purchase by Weld hasn't hurt their quality or Customer service but there are differences between wheels and it helps to know which differences mean something and which ones don't.

Bill
Bill,
I've heard about the slipping with CCWs before -- but mine don't slip. Have marked and checked several times, every time this comes up.
No slip with Hoosier R6, A6, Michelin and avon full slicks.
Maybe something different with yours?
Mine are C10s, C14s, all black anodiized.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM
v10climber
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Bill,
I've heard about the slipping with CCWs before -- but mine don't slip. Have marked and checked several times, every time this comes up.
The tire mounting lube can affect tire slip on the rim. Some of the lubes are better about drying but staying tacky and helping hold the tire in place.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the cash, I wouldn't consider anything other than Finspeeds.

I will vouch for Forgestars though. Anything since 2014 is good, they had an issue before then. Used them with slicks, aero and at 2+g's.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by db2xpert
Bill,
Here is what mine looked like after a couple of sessions at the Glen in July last year. I put the shoe polish on after they had already gone out of balance and this was how much further they slipped.

Fronts had braking slippage while the rears had acceleration slippage. By the time they had slipped this much the car rode like one of those vibrating chairs used for health care. At over 100 mph there was quite a buzz in the butt with 4 wheels feeling like they suddenly went square. When I got home from the Glen I went back to Discount Tire where the tires had been mounted and had them take the tires off clean the rims, reinstall the tires and rebalance. A few weeks later they did the same thing at VIR. There was a Hoosier Truck supporting an SCCA Trans Am group that was sharing the track with us so I stopped by their truck to get their opinion on the slippage. They said they were very familiar with the issue on CCW wheels and told me I had to get the wheels knurled. Now CCW has said the same thing.

Bill
Old 03-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Kaged
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Finspeed?

Is Finspeed still in business? I have left several messages on their machine and have not gotten a response.
The following users liked this post:
GSpeed (04-11-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:33 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I was told no when I was shopping a few months ago. I went with ccw instead. Customer service was meh but the wheels were produced fairly quickly ~4 weeks. My concerns with forgestars have already been mentioned. Forgelines were too expensive.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Here is what mine looked like after a couple of sessions at the Glen in July last year. I put the shoe polish on after they had already gone out of balance and this was how much further they slipped.

Fronts had braking slippage while the rears had acceleration slippage. By the time they had slipped this much the car rode like one of those vibrating chairs used for health care. At over 100 mph there was quite a buzz in the butt with 4 wheels feeling like they suddenly went square. When I got home from the Glen I went back to Discount Tire where the tires had been mounted and had them take the tires off clean the rims, reinstall the tires and rebalance. A few weeks later they did the same thing at VIR. There was a Hoosier Truck supporting an SCCA Trans Am group that was sharing the track with us so I stopped by their truck to get their opinion on the slippage. They said they were very familiar with the issue on CCW wheels and told me I had to get the wheels knurled. Now CCW has said the same thing.

Bill
I have the same issue. I just swap the tires left to right and rotate the rubber back where it belongs.

Last edited by naschmitz; 03-06-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: removed photos
Old 03-06-2017, 11:28 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

I ended going up with CCW TS12's. Getting them in blue. Finspeed did not respond to any emails or phone calls over a week. So, as I wanted to stay around 4K, I really ran light on options. I have to say, I'm very excited to get them and throw some sticky rubber on. Rims should be similar to the attached pic. But in a race version. The pic is the design, but for a truck.
Attached Images  

Last edited by rb185afm; 03-06-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We've had balance issues with wheels in the past so what we do is balance the wheel by itself. Then mount the tire, since the tires move around on the wheels anyway the initial balance isn't going to stay long.
This is especially true if you are running used slicks - some of those tires are coated with track turds - after you run a lap of two the balance is going to be way different.

Also it seems like the tires only move around for the first session or two after that they don't seem to move as much.

We've had good luck with the balance rim then mount tire on several different wheel tire combinations YMMV.
The following 4 users liked this post by 96CollectorSport:
Kamran (03-07-2017), NT4HIM (03-07-2017), rb185afm (03-07-2017), SBC_and_a_stick (03-09-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Finspeed VS CCW

Old 03-07-2017, 02:33 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
We've had balance issues with wheels in the past so what we do is balance the wheel by itself. Then mount the tire, since the tires move around on the wheels anyway the initial balance isn't going to stay long.
This is especially true if you are running used slicks - some of those tires are coated with track turds - after you run a lap of two the balance is going to be way different.

Also it seems like the tires only move around for the first session or two after that they don't seem to move as much.

We've had good luck with the balance rim then mount tire on several different wheel tire combinations YMMV.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Can knurling be done on used wheels or only during construction?

I have CCWs but I haven't checked whether the slicks move on them. If there is vibration it's slight. I also use scrubs so there is junk on the slicks and it piles up randomly all the time.

I have worse problems with the OEM wheels on the street since they all bend easily with run-flat Cup 2s and vibrate violently.

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 03-09-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:26 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaged
Is Finspeed still in business? I have left several messages on their machine and have not gotten a response.
i dont think they are sounds like dedicated motorsports and them shared a shop and not sure what else went on. Some of the workers who worked at finspeed started up their own wheel brand from what I could tell from facebook postings.
The new company was at PRI i guess

Quick Reply: Finspeed VS CCW