Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Used a parts store cheapy and it lasted half a day. Went with a turn one and never looked back. It's been flawless
Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Good info here. Thanks gents. I am not looking forward to the rack replacement even though some say its 'easy'. I guess i'll knock out the pump, rack and harmonic balancer at once. Anything else I should replace while I'm down there?
I would pin the balancer and while it is out put a solid bushing on the rack DRM sells them cheap and it helps with feel.

Pull the radiator, fans, p/s pump, bracket assembly with lines, then measure and record the location of the tie rod ends (to aid in reassembly) then remove the tie rod ends this gives you much needed clearance it can be done with ends on but it can be a PITA to get the rack out. The rack has to slide to the pass side and turn the pinion up then, move the inner tie rod end past the frame and it will come out the bottom drivers side. This is the easiest way I have found to do it.

Last edited by 555ss; 03-16-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I reached out to Turn One to find out how long they anticipate their out of stock lasting. They responded that they hope to be shipping corvette pumps in two weeks.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered a pump last night since I'd rather not be stuck without one for weeks on end. Also bought the DRM rack bushing while I was at it. Looks like Turn One doesn't send you the rack and you send yours back for a core refund. I'm not sure that turnaround is the best scenario for me so I may just go with Zip unless people here think differently.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I ordered a pump last night since I'd rather not be stuck without one for weeks on end. Also bought the DRM rack bushing while I was at it. Looks like Turn One doesn't send you the rack and you send yours back for a core refund. I'm not sure that turnaround is the best scenario for me so I may just go with Zip unless people here think differently.
I think the problem with the racks is that there just aren't that many out there in the world since they stopped making them a few years ago. If you can find a used/leaking one and send that in to be rebuilt, then you can have a good one ready to go for whenever you need it. It's not the cheapest scenario but how much is your time/preventing downtime later worth to you?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I thought that ZIP rack would be better than the one from the local parts store for my DD C4. Wrong! Even though ZIP costs $150 more than local, it comes in the same Cardone box.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 03-16-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I thought that ZIP rack would be better than the one from the local parts store for my DD C4. Wrong! Even though ZIP costs $150 more than local, it comes in the same Cardone box.
just send the cardone to turn one

Last edited by ErnieN85; 03-16-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:26 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
just send the cardone to turn one
That's an idea, Ernie, but I kept the original since it is from my LT4 and is a faster turn ratio. I only got the rebuilt in order to get my car off of a friend's rack. One of these days I'll get the original put back into the car. It will, of course, be rebuilt by turn one. Their pumps are great, too. And, as the other guy said, get their pulley. The oem 'bakelite' or whatever that stuff is will disintegrate as soon as the pulley puller touches it.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:46 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Just a follow up: Finally got around to sending my pump in for a rebuild. Evidently there is a standard rebuild, and one specifically that is an upgrade for track use to support the higher RPMs etc.

You need to specify the kind of rebuild when you send it in!

Hope this helps someone

I ordered the billet pulley too, looking forward to getting car back together.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the typical C5 power steering fluid overheating syndrome during track use complete with loud whining and fluid leaking from the cap. Already had a P/S cooler and was running high performance fluid. Had Turn One do the rebuild for track use and the next event had zero issues. Clearly T/O knows the situation and the remedy.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:31 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The stock stuff will last a lot longer if you have a big efficient PS cooler hooked up to the system. The main problem the T1 mods are solving is heat. Doing T1 and lots of cooling is even better.

Bill
This is good to know. If heat is the enemy, I am hoping all of my venting and cooling modifications that I've done should keep my PS from crapping out and keep me from having to upgrade / replace anything.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Another follow up: Turn One rebuilt my pump to their race specs, got me a billet pulley.

Rack ended up being bad too, Lone Star Steering in Ft. Worth rebuilt it for me so I didn't have to ship it off. They turned around the work in a single day too, great shop!

I had an oil cooler installed for power steering. Been driving the car for a bit over a month, no issues have come up. Very happy with Turn One and Lone Star Steering work.

Andy @ Driven Service and Performance in Dallas did the labor for me. If you're in the area, look him up...he's now familiar with it all
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Agree

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The stock stuff will last a lot longer if you have a big efficient PS cooler hooked up to the system. The main problem the T1 mods are solving is heat. Doing T1 and lots of cooling is even better.

Bill
The car that stays the coolest on the track, stays out there the longest.
This applies to each individual component on the car, such as the power steering system. An upgraded Setrap stopped my puking oil issues, plus in my mind that was easy for a home garage install as compared to changing out to a Turn One unit.

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 09-19-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I was in this thread some time ago like the some of the others here. I'll post up my experience to help those searchers out there. I purchased the turn one pump. I got the stock GM fittings with the billet pulley. My car drove fine before, however it sounded like it had an old blower on it when coming off the track hot. This made me think the pump or the rack or both were on borrowed time. Weird to say when my car only has 25k miles. Anywho, I installed the turn one pump after speaking with Junior on the phone. No more blower sound when coming off the track and everything works as it should. Future problem solved.

The install kinda sucked. It was pretty frustrating and a bit more than a 2 beer job. My advice would be to keep track of the order in which things came apart. It will save some frustration and f words during the re assembly.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

After 2nd pump failure this year, spoke to Junior yesterday. Part TY40 on the way. Vented hood next.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Failure