Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone with a Tech 2 tell me if the C6 Steering Position sensor shows an angle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 11:58 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Can anyone with a Tech 2 tell me if the C6 Steering Position sensor shows an angle?

Is this normal?

Regardless of steering wheel angle, the tech II is always showing 0 degrees. The voltages do change as turned, however.

One turn to the left:
SWPS Signal A: 2.49v
SWPS Signal B: 0.00v
Steering Position Senso: 0°

180 degrees to the left:
SWPS Signal B: 5.00v

Center:
SWPS Signal A: 2.61v
SWPS Signal B: 0.10v

180 degrees to the right:

One turn to the right:
SWPS Signal A: 2.51v
SWPS Signal B: 0.02v

I would have thought the steering position sensor angle would show something changing.. The voltages do sweep when turning, e.g., Signal B sweeps from 0v to 5v over every 180 degrees of turn. I have no idea how the thing knows its straight vs 360 degrees one way or the other because the voltages are the same in both cases!

Reason I'm asking is that the sensor itself looks a little flimsy/loosely attached and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

My Envoy has analog for the angle and digital to show wheel movement. Is your ah malfunctioning? When I put a heater core in the Envoy I got the sensor clocked in there wrong and the voltage was acting weird until I got it right.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by carefulnow
Is this normal?

Regardless of steering wheel angle, the tech II is always showing 0 degrees. The voltages do change as turned, however.

One turn to the left:
SWPS Signal B: 0.00v

180 degrees to the left:

Center:
SWPS Signal A: 2.61v
SWPS Signal B: 0.10v

180 degrees to the right:

One turn to the right:
SWPS Signal A: 2.51v
SWPS Signal B: 0.02v

I would have thought the steering position sensor angle would show something changing.. The voltages do sweep when turning, e.g., Signal B sweeps from 0v to 5v over every 180 degrees of turn. I have no idea how the thing knows its straight vs 360 degrees one way or the other because the voltages are the same in both cases!

Reason I'm asking is that the sensor itself looks a little flimsy/loosely attached and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
I don't have a Tech 2 but I did take a look through the C6 ABS info to see how the Steering Sensor fails. If you are getting analog voltages that implies you have an 05 through 08 car. The system changed for the 09 through 13 models.

In the 05-08 models you have two analog voltages that change out of phase with each other and that is how the EBCM knows how much the steering wheel is being turned and in which direction.

In the 09-13 models the steering angle data is sent to the EBCM on the CAN Bus which means it is being sent as a digital signal.

I am attaching the pertinent sections of the factory diagnostic procedures from the Service Manuals.

Bill
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 04-09-2017 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carefulnow (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:11 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't have a Tech 2 but I did take a look through the C6 ABS info to see how the Steering Sensor fails. If you are getting analog voltages that implies you have an 05 through 08 car. The system changed for the 09 through 13 models.

In the 05-08 models you have two analog voltages that change out of phase with each other and that is how the EBCM knows how much the steering wheel is being turned and in which direction.

In the 09-13 models the steering angle data is sent to the EBCM on the CAN Bus which means it is being sent as a digital signal.

I am attaching the pertinent sections of the factory diagnostic procedures from the Service Manuals.

Bill
As always Bill, thanks so much for clarifying! The car is an '07. I'll plop it up on the lift and steer back and forth for a bit while ignition is on and see if any of those DTCs set.

EDIT: No codes.

Last edited by carefulnow; 04-09-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone with a Tech 2 tell me if the C6 Steering Position sensor shows an angle?

Quick Reply: Can anyone with a Tech 2 tell me if the C6 Steering Position sensor shows an angle?