Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STANG KILLA goes "racin" Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

that Z28 is badass looking, i dont blame him. and its cooling is so much better than our vettes.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Looking good, STANG KILLA!

Some advice - put your visor down (you can put it down almost all the way typically and have just a little bit of breathing room) and wear some sunglasses. You will eventually take a track turd right to the face...it will seriously hurt and you could lose an eye. Just saying - learn from my experience, it does NOT feel good. I always wear glasses on track but I learned my lesson about the visor - got stung in the cheek with a track turd, left a nice whelp...

You've probably noticed all the black marks on your car - when you are behind someone you're getting hit will what they run over (gravel, rocks, miscellaneous ford parts, etc) as well as turds from their tires and other marbles.

Worst one I have had got up under the hood and jammed between the throttle return stop - it held the throttle at a few thousand RPM for the last few laps of a race - made braking a bit more challenging....
Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

thanks!
great advice, ive got hit by bugs/rocks on motorcycle so i sorta know what your talking about, but that was at street speeds.

i always wondered why people fool with sunglasses in there helmets.

and lol about the black marks on car. worst part of a racing weekend is the clean up. Mothers R3 is a miracle product but still 2-3 hours of work.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

This will make you put your visor down....every time!

https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/waywa...t-c-1704951092

Worst part of a racing weekend? Loading up the trailer with everything and putting the car back in...20 pounds of stuff in a 10 pound box...
Old 08-02-2017, 12:19 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

true the trailer reload in the 100* heat, is pretty bad. but weve got it down pretty good. certainly faster than scrubbing rubber.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:19 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
i always wondered why people fool with sunglasses in there helmets.
Some of us need corrective lenses, which can be made as tinted+uv protective lenses in sunglass frames. Ideal for jamming into a helmet because they are far sturdier and more form-fitting than your typical eyeglass frame.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by carefulnow
Some of us need corrective lenses, which can be made as tinted+uv protective lenses in sunglass frames. Ideal for jamming into a helmet because they are far sturdier and more form-fitting than your typical eyeglass frame.
What he said - I have two pairs of glasses - my every day transition/auto-tint glasses and then my racing glasses, they have a darker base tint plus transition/auto-tint, UV protection, etc....I'd wear sunglasses anyway, even if I had perfect vision.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:34 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

i dont have a torque wrench so i just make my lugs as tight as i can get them with my 18" 1/2" drive. obviously waaaaay too much. i started snaping studs.
sadly on the back of the vette you cant get the studs out because the parking brake and spindle upright are in the way. you have to remove the wheel hub.
Name:  5tO9m9e.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  155.8 KB

new ARP studs #100-7708
Name:  22wccOl.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  188.4 KB

also the car came with vinyl tinted taillights. they were pretty dangerous, way to dark and couldnt see any light. instead of paying $250 for LED eagle eye taillights, i decided to make my own for $10.
peeled off the tinted vinyl, then ordered some high gloss black vinyl on ebay. measured the tail lights and offset the circle 1/2" and cut out the black to let the outer ring be the stock transperant red plastic.

Name:  8IGsQ8A.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  MgC0ayv.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  122.6 KB

Viola! crappy cell phone pic
Name:  Re8wAke.jpg
Size:  64.5 KB

Headed of to the NCCC autocross in waco and Baylor Stadium
Name:  tWgLcjz.jpg
Size:  233.6 KB

Name:  CRjYBuh.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  252.4 KB

there were alot more serious racers at this one.
had my pressures too low at 32 at first. car was sliding and squelling pretty bad. got them back up to 34 range and was much better.
was insanely hot. heat advisory 102* with no wind.
I was running out of gear at the end of the 3rd parking lot, had to lift a bit early there.
my exhaust poped off again. put it back on twice. then gave up. once i got home i slotted the end of the pipes so the clamps could compress the tube and bite into the other tube on the slip joints.

also got code P0050. 02 sensor heater circuit. luckily i bought this little OBD2 reader i keep in my console for $25 bucks. best tool ever to instantly know whats wrong with the car when away from home. lots of people had good luck with it. i use the free "torque" app to access it and get live data from the car.

my best run
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

How have you made it this far in life without a torque wrench!!??!! I'm trying to be really polite here - but if you mess around with a car you NEED a torque wrench!! Get thee self to a hardware store ASAP!!
The following users liked this post:
Bigblue77 (12-30-2019)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:04 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Isnt that pretty dangerous to not have the lugs torqued all to the same ~ value. Seems like you could lose a wheel if they are way over torqued. One could pop and then the over load cause the others to pop. All that heat in the hub causes some serious stresses....not a good place to cut corners. Some cars the heat expansion combined with uneven torque will warp brake discs.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:15 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Holy hell i thought our 5 cone 60ft slalom was tighter than normal. That slalom was painful!!!
Old 08-24-2017, 02:18 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

yeah it was miserable. car would actually try to stall you came so close to a stand still.
you couldnt hand over hand fast enough.

there was rumor they were gonna spread it out for day 2.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I can understand why they did it coming 90° into a curb and having to make a right hand turn but damn, change the routing of the course...
Old 08-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Primaris
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the great write up and the videos Have you tried the line the Radical driver showed you yet and if so how much faster was it?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

thanks! yes i did, more on that coming soon!
Old 08-30-2017, 04:30 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

great news, results from the autocross were just posted!
i won 2nd in class!
unfortunatly my cam bumped me WAY up in the classes (internal motor work)

but im super stoked with my results, i was keeping pace with the cars on slicks
Old 09-04-2017, 05:50 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Well the day has come. They have closed TWS
they had one last open track day on August 20th. i didnt want to go with the 101 temps, but knew i had to go the final time.

showed up at 7am for the drivers meeting. they warned us grip was way down and no one would be setting there new personal bests. and they were right. plus my tires were on the last weekend so i was really down on grip. i could DEFINITELY tell. i did flip the tires for this event to at least have fresh shoulders, but it didnt help.

Name:  fCKypWC.jpg
Size:  193.4 KB

i was watching some lap record videos on YT and have also noticed i lost a bit of time taking my old camaro line into T1. so i tried the low/faster line on the this last event. didnt go so well. with so little grip, practice time, and ***** to pull it off right, it didnt save me any time. but i stuck to it for most of the 6 sessions.

this beautiful NSX was there. sadly just a poser, never moved, but looked amazing. perfect condition car.
Name:  n4iNm4o.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  269.6 KB

temps were 99-101 all day. i was having to do alot of cool down laps. especially in the afternoon.

a ZL1 1LE also showed up! i didnt think these things were even on the street yet. and for sure didnt think id ever see one in person. he was still working on his 500 break in miles.

Name:  qkvwRLR.jpg
Size:  270.6 KB

Name:  O3DwZGa.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  239.4 KB

Name:  ObBBlBP.jpg
Size:  189.3 KB

Name:  DRVULVT.jpg
Size:  259.9 KB

Name:  skqzJzx.jpg
Size:  228.3 KB

cooling off between rounds
Name:  jF6B4ml.jpg
Size:  197.5 KB

some clips from my laps. not the best with the lack of grip, but i was glad to be out there one last time

and the end of the day, they said the corner marshals were melting. so they did two back to back 45 minute sessions, i did them both. well near the end of the second one coming into 3 the car just didnt slow, luckily there is run off there and i was able to dive into there safely. smoke started pouring out of the right front. i decided to back up and stay there as not to ruin everyone elses run with a red flag on the final session ever. you can see this at the end of the vid.

got home and i guess my hawks didnt like all that heat on the last two back to back sessions in the 101* heat. they were toast down to the backing plates. rotors were completely heat cracked from every hole too.

Name:  7ejZ3J8.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  158.5 KB

Name:  H1KDeF0.jpg
Size:  178.6 KB

not the way i wanted to end it, but fitting.
im gonna really miss that place, its been my entire life for the last 2 and a half years.....
Name:  e6vCHkL.jpg
Size:  297.4 KB

Get notified of new replies

To STANG KILLA goes "racin" Part 2

Old 09-04-2017, 06:05 PM
michel944
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I'd like that ZL1 Camaro !!! Either that or a '69 COPO 427 or Yenko SC.... My father did have a brand new Rally Green COPO 427 back then but sold it....

Wait a minute....are you saying they are definitely shutting off Texas Speedway ????
Old 09-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by michel944
Man I'd like that ZL1 Camaro !!! Either that or a '69 COPO 427 or Yenko SC.... My father did have a brand new Rally Green COPO 427 back then but sold it....

Wait a minute....are you saying they are definitely shutting off Texas Speedway ????
Already done. No interest in the 1.8 configuration so instead they're gonna park flood cars there until it's all bulldozed. OP I heard about a landslide, did you see a dirt mess cleaned up when you were there?
Old 09-04-2017, 10:41 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

no, just the back stretch tree line had been removed/land cleared.

Quick Reply: STANG KILLA goes "racin" Part 2