Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harry's LapTimer - Cool New Feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Harry's LapTimer - Cool New Feature

Version 21 now includes video links when exporting .vbo files. So you can load your data and video into Circuit Tools and enjoy synced data and video, even better you can compare two laps side-by-side. Look at your data, pick a spot and see where you car was on the track at the point in time on two different laps. This is something you can not do in AIM, unfortunately.

Anyway, for Harry's users, check it out. Circuit Tools is a free download.
The following 2 users liked this post by gpuglisi:
C6C3Vettes (04-18-2017), Miguel S (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give it a try when I go to the track the end of May. I have Circuit tools downloaded and have played around with it a couple times.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 AM
gpuglisi
Racer

Originally Posted by YYZ06
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give it a try when I go to the track the end of May. I have Circuit tools downloaded and have played around with it a couple times.
Be sure you convert the video to mp4 format and rename it as directed in the .vbox file generated by the app. Then put the video and the data in the same folder and you should be good.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
Be sure you convert the video to mp4 format and rename it as directed in the .vbox file generated by the app. Then put the video and the data in the same folder and you should be good.
More great info! I've bookmarked the thread and look forward to trying it out the end of next month.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Are all features available on Android now? I looked a while back and recall it still being new to the platform at the time. I recall the Apple version being more capable than Trackmaster at that time as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Are all features available on Android now? I looked a while back and recall it still being new to the platform at the time. I recall the Apple version being more capable than Trackmaster at that time as well.
Yes, the two are essentially the same now. I don't know of any features that Android does not have at this point.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Yeah, Harry's is full up on android now and has been for at least some time. Apple version still tends to get some features first, but the delta is small. I still consistently have issues with Harry's and keeping a good solid OBD Bluetooth link though. On newer cars it's flawless though, so it's probably a compatibility issue between the app and the C5. All other features and GPS Bluetooth is great. For reference I have the OBDlink MX and XGPS160 and a 03 C5. If I continued to tweak some of the OBD settings (theres a ton of them), a solid connection might be possible.

Last edited by aaronc7; 04-20-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Good to hear!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you using Android or iPhone? The expected video file name for the VBO export wasn't obvious when I tried (on Android). I figured it out when Circuit Tools opened the VBO file and a pop-up window display the missing video file. Just curious where Harry's indicates the mp4 file. Great tip, thanks!!!

Tim
Old 04-21-2017, 03:48 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
Are you using Android or iPhone? The expected video file name for the VBO export wasn't obvious when I tried (on Android). I figured it out when Circuit Tools opened the VBO file and a pop-up window display the missing video file. Just curious where Harry's indicates the mp4 file. Great tip, thanks!!!

Tim
I used an iPhone for my test. The required name of the mp4 file is in the VBO file. It's a simple text file so you can open it with notepad, the name needed is noted toward the top of the file.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

For Android, I think you guys should also check out Racechrono. It never puked on me on connections, and provides beautiful interface to analyze or overlay it over phone or external video (like GoPo).
Old 04-22-2017, 07:43 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I used an iPhone for my test. The required name of the mp4 file is in the VBO file. It's a simple text file so you can open it with notepad, the name needed is noted toward the top of the file.
Got it, thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:47 AM
Miguel S
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Yeah, Harry's is full up on android now and has been for at least some time. Apple version still tends to get some features first, but the delta is small. I still consistently have issues with Harry's and keeping a good solid OBD Bluetooth link though. On newer cars it's flawless though, so it's probably a compatibility issue between the app and the C5. All other features and GPS Bluetooth is great. For reference I have the OBDlink MX and XGPS160 and a 03 C5. If I continued to tweak some of the OBD settings (theres a ton of them), a solid connection might be possible.
I have the same issue with OBD Bluetooth dropping out (goes to a lower sample rate). My data goes out of sync very quickly so I rarely use it now. I though it might be the adapter and considered buying a wifi connector and manually controlling the GoPro, but maybe it is a C5 OBD problem and not a device problem. I'm using the PXL KIWI Bluetooth device.

Miguel
Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Miguel S
I have the same issue with OBD Bluetooth dropping out (goes to a lower sample rate). My data goes out of sync very quickly so I rarely use it now. I though it might be the adapter and considered buying a wifi connector and manually controlling the GoPro, but maybe it is a C5 OBD problem and not a device problem. I'm using the PXL KIWI Bluetooth device.

Miguel
Miguel,

iPhone I presume since you have a Wifi OBD option? I use the OBDlink MX on android, but yours is a common supported device so it should be fine.

From everything I've read, Bluetooth is now the preferred method for both platforms.

This is a little in the weeds but this is some specific feedback I've gotten from Harry and my own testing to help improve the connection/update rate. Most all of these settings are in expert settings under OBD tweaks, deep in the menus:

Default protocol: SAE J1850 VPW 10.4 kbps (initially connects faster I find)
Reply timeout: 0.3
Exclude PIDs: 01010105010B010F0110 (this one disables IAT, CLT, MAF, and MAP PIDs, to maximize rate on RPM, VSS and TPS)
OBD Extrapolation: Conservative (when I run the app with 10 hz external GPS, my OBD data has spikes in it, this helps)

Hope this helps. I also use TrackAddict made by HPtuners, and it's easy to use and works flawlessly-- around 5-6hz update rate logging 3 PIDs. But I'm kind of torn because Harry's has more features.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Miguel S
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Miguel,

iPhone I presume since you have a Wifi OBD option? I use the OBDlink MX on android, but yours is a common supported device so it should be fine.

From everything I've read, Bluetooth is now the preferred method for both platforms.

This is a little in the weeds but this is some specific feedback I've gotten from Harry and my own testing to help improve the connection/update rate. Most all of these settings are in expert settings under OBD tweaks, deep in the menus:

Default protocol: SAE J1850 VPW 10.4 kbps (initially connects faster I find)
Reply timeout: 0.3
Exclude PIDs: 01010105010B010F0110 (this one disables IAT, CLT, MAF, and MAP PIDs, to maximize rate on RPM, VSS and TPS)
OBD Extrapolation: Conservative (when I run the app with 10 hz external GPS, my OBD data has spikes in it, this helps)

Hope this helps. I also use TrackAddict made by HPtuners, and it's easy to use and works flawlessly-- around 5-6hz update rate logging 3 PIDs. But I'm kind of torn because Harry's has more features.
Aaron,

Thank you so much for the information! I'll will play with the setting before VIR in a few weeks. Cheers!

Miguel
Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to give Harry's lap timer a try.

Does anyone know if it works with a GoPro 2?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default C7 Corvette Braking and Harry's Lap Timer

Has anyone figured out how to get the C7 Corvette braking data to record in Harry's Lap Timer with a OBDLinkMX?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:21 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Originally Posted by VettesRule
I need to give Harry's lap timer a try.

Does anyone know if it works with a GoPro 2?
Remote control is supported with WiFi Pack. Check out Harrys Laptimer Forum for details.

Get notified of new replies

To Harry's LapTimer - Cool New Feature

Quick Reply: Harry's LapTimer - Cool New Feature