Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Orientation

Preparing for the warmer months here in GA, I'm looking to improve the cooling systems on my C5Z. First up are the oil cooler and radiator. I've spent a fair bit of time researching options, and am settling on a standalone cooler and a Dewitt's radiator (not looking to go integrated EOC).

I currently run the stock radiator, AC system, and a small Earl's 13 row oil cooler in front. Still seeing oil temps around 275* on a mid-80* day. Under the car installing DRM ducts, it occurred to me that perhaps the traditional route of installing the oil cooler as a top-feed adds blockage to the air flow to the radiator (see below).

My question is, can I mount a typical stacked plate cooler such that the hoses feed from the side? I figure that may reduce blockage to the air path, but not sure if a plate-type cooler will be as effective. Done plenty of searching on this topic, but can't seem to get a clear answer.

Name:  IMG_0002.JPG
Views: 3189
Size:  770.5 KB

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I also run a Vararam currently. I plan to replace that with a Honker or other that doesn't depress the shroud.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

A stacked plate cooler is more efficient. If you ever saw the GMPP C5 T1 Transmission Cooler you would see a Stacked Plate Cooler Placed pretty much where your picture shows a cooler. The only difference is they mounted their Fluidyne cooler with the inlet and outlet connectors facing down. That probably reduces air flow restrictions to the radiator.

Myself I preferred the DRM Ron Davis Racing Radiator with the EOC in the passenger side tank. A very effective radiator that cooled the engine very well.

Since I did have that GMPP T1 Transmission Cooler mounted in front of the AC Condenser I didn't have to worry about adding too many restrictions in front of the main coolers.

Bill
Old 04-25-2017, 10:14 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I think the cooler is just too small. Mine is mounted just like yours but is the Setrab 625 cooler. At VIR, in the 95* heat, my oil temps barely got over 250*.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:25 PM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the way PFADT use to install there kits behind the license plate, unrestricted air path for the radiator. Maybe give that a try.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:11 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

The part that concerns me about running something like a 625 is the amount of hose you have to cram in front of the condenser. Would running a long cooler (like a Setrab 150) and turning it sideways so the inlet and outlet are on the drivers side be feasible? Can stacked plate coolers operate in this orientation (vertical plates rather than horizontal)?

Bill's comment about the t1 cooler in front is interesting, and is making me reconsider the Ron David integrated solution. I have had trans temp issues in the past at Barber, so keeping a space up front for a trans cooler makes sense.

Thanks for the help, all.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's some info on cooler mounting. It's about PS coolers, but the same would apply for oil coolers.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pdf/te...r_mounting.pdf

How wide is your current cooler? The tank on the 625 is 11.25". Just based on your picture it doesn't seem that much wider than your current cooler.
The following users liked this post:
hanseng1 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah, I agree that cooler is too small. I have 19 row in front of condenser feeding from the bottom and see 265deg in 95ish ambient. Water temps maybe 225 with Chinese big radiator.

EDIT: I also run e30 and short shift stock ls1... I can see more aggressive drivers with ls6 getting much hotter than me.

Last edited by Joshboody; 04-25-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:59 PM
hanseng1
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
Here's some info on cooler mounting. It's about PS coolers, but the same would apply for oil coolers.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pdf/te...r_mounting.pdf

How wide is your current cooler? The tank on the 625 is 11.25". Just based on your picture it doesn't seem that much wider than your current cooler.

Thanks for posting that link. Exactly the info I was looking for.

Current cooler is same width as your 625, just half the height. Certainly not effective enough.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by deepcj7
I like the way PFADT use to install there kits behind the license plate, unrestricted air path for the radiator. Maybe give that a try.
I had one as well, worked great here in the Texas summer heat.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 AM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

As already mentioned that cooler is a bit small. We recommend at least a 25-row stacked plate cooler. And yes, you can mount the cooler sideways, no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Cooler Orientation

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Orientation