Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet purchase time again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Default Helmet purchase time again.

In the market for a new helmet again. Anyone have any recommendations on suppliers to check with? I usually bought Simpson helmets, the last one was an Impact brand, but I'm open to look at other brands too.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Bell GP2 that has been great, outside of the fact that it's a touch heavy.

I believe the SA2015 is called the GP3
Old 05-12-2017, 11:35 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Simpson just went through a recall, an issue with the chin strap failing. Just make sure you are getting one of the new ones and you'll be ok.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:19 AM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Really like my Stilo. Great accessory kit for headphones (cuts down on noise, and provides simple plug in for radio or com device). And accessory kit for air (plumed into the cool suit for cool air to the helmet - huge help in Texas).
Old 05-13-2017, 12:29 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Earlier this year I purchased a Carbon Bell GP3 and I really liked it.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:01 AM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Take a look at Roux. Built in coolshirt connections... very nice setup.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by carefulnow
Take a look at Roux. Built in coolshirt connections... very nice setup.
Thanks. Didn't know that. Nice feature. Just looked them up. The R1CF is an extremely nice helmet. Definitely worth a look.

Bought an Arai after waiting 8 months for a Bell and still didn't have an eta.

The Arai fits nice and the model I bought has a wide eye port for decent peripheral vision angles which I like.

Last edited by Racingswh; 05-13-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:56 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Thanks. Didn't know that. Nice feature. Just looked them up. The R1CF is an extremely nice helmet. Definitely worth a look.

Bought an Arai after waiting 8 months for a Bell and still didn't have an eta.

The Arai fits nice and the model I bought has a wide eye port for decent peripheral vision angles which I like.
I believe they are relatively new to the US market. The Roux helmets look so nice on paper I may have to accidentally drop my current down a flight of concrete stairs.

Last edited by carefulnow; 05-13-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The Roux look like a nice option if you want communication and a drink tube. But I understand they are heavy for a carbon helmet. Also I have heard that there cooling system is unique and doesn't connect to standard cooling systems without an adapter
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

What I can't stand about buying helmets is not being able to go somewhere and try them all on to see which fits best. Like shoes. When I am at the track they have relatively limited selection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue or know of anywhere in the Northeast US that has a good selection in stock that I can go and try them?

I have always bought mine online and have been just ok lucky. I think when the OP or anyone asks the question it's really valid but just gets me thinking that what I love might not be the right choice for them.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:41 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What I can't stand about buying helmets is not being able to go somewhere and try them all on to see which fits best. Like shoes. When I am at the track they have relatively limited selection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this issue or know of anywhere in the Northeast US that has a good selection in stock that I can go and try them?

I have always bought mine online and have been just ok lucky. I think when the OP or anyone asks the question it's really valid but just gets me thinking that what I love might not be the right choice for them.
I've never run across a store in the US with a broad selection. Always go with the hats that the shops around me carry so that I could try them out.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:44 PM
making007
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
In the market for a new helmet again. Anyone have any recommendations on suppliers to check with? I usually bought Simpson helmets, the last one was an Impact brand, but I'm open to look at other brands too.

Thanks for any suggestions.
i went with an SA2015 Black Armor open face and really like it. It's lightweight for the money, has good options for comms and other connections, and they worked with me a lot on the cheek liner sizing, they sent new ones to try until I got the right size and I just sent the ones that did not fit back to them.

I have used it for track days and autocross and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Last edited by making007; 05-14-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Thanks for the input and info, guys. I appreciate it. I'll take a look at some of these.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:28 AM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Zamp carbon
Old 05-18-2017, 09:10 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how feasible it is for you, but go to the PRI show in Indy. The show is every December and pretty much every vendor is there. You can not only try the helmets on, any many cases you can talk with the actual design engineers all the way to the owner. It's also a good place to try out seats.

Ken
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 AM
heavyzee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Black Armor Carbon amazingly light and fit

call the guys at and tell em zach sent you
http://www.apex-racing.com/
Old 05-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bb69
I don't know how feasible it is for you, but go to the PRI show in Indy. The show is every December and pretty much every vendor is there. You can not only try the helmets on, any many cases you can talk with the actual design engineers all the way to the owner. It's also a good place to try out seats.

Ken
Ken,

Feasible, have wanted to go and a really good idea I didn't think of. Thank you for that suggestion!

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet purchase time again.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I see you're in PA. If you're willing to drive a little Track First here in Richfield, OH has a good selection you can try on. I tried on many before I settled on my Bell Carbon GP3.

OP, if you have had Simpson and Impact and they fit well I would continue to look in those brands. Each manufacturer has a little different shape, and fit peoples heads differently. When I bought my last helmet I ordered online and didn't try it on. It was a Simpson and gave me headaches because it was tight in the temple area. My Bell is super comfortable. I have been told Simpsons are more long and narrow, and Bells are more round. Apparently I have a round head.

Edit: I picked up my GP3 Carbon this weekend. It is a really nice helmet! It is $100 more than the Simpson it is replacing but so much more comfortable, and a little lighter despite being a little larger.

Also, I went with a mirror/chrome shield instead of tinted/smoked. It does not make the view much darker, but does a great job blocking glare and sun.

Last edited by Kubs; 05-23-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Really like my Stilo. Great accessory kit for headphones (cuts down on noise, and provides simple plug in for radio or com device). And accessory kit for air (plumed into the cool suit for cool air to the helmet - huge help in Texas).
Ditto on the Stilo. The two air cooling hookup options are great. Top cooling option didn't fit under roof so the side vent was invaluable.

Feff
Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 AM
CECoupe
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Bought a Stilo, fits great, light and had comms installed. Went to Winding Road in Austin and tried on all the brands i.e. Simpson, Arai, Black Armor, Oreca and GForce. Beats fitting yourself and buying a helmet online that doesn't fit right.

Quick Reply: Helmet purchase time again.