Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Gear Ratio's - Autox Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 PM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
What tires are you running on that you can't spin them in 2nd with a C6Z06? I'd suggest leaving the car stock, and focusing on getting on power sooner and harder. Unless the car is lugging (only happens at like 20-25mph, IIRC), then drive it in 2nd.
345 Hoosier A6's. They will hook up when hot...

Last edited by polyol; 05-22-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:04 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by polyol
345 Hoosier A6's. They will hook up when hot...
You're not on power soon enough. I've watched Strano leave 2 black tracks out of low speed corners in 2nd gear in his bone stock (plus shocks and a bar) C6Z06 on similar sized A7s. Your money would have been better spent on an Evo school or similar.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:10 PM
polyol
Racer

You're not on power soon enough. I've watched Strano leave 2 black tracks out of low speed corners in 2nd gear in his bone stock (plus shocks and a bar) C6Z06 on similar sized A7s. Your money would have been better spent on an Evo school or similar.
Im the three time Autox Oregon Champion...but I agree...you can always learn more.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

When I drove a C6Z06 on Hoosiers, it felt like on slow corners, it had more power then I could put down. Even with the motor bogging a little.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by polyol
Im the three time Autox Oregon Champion...but I agree...you can always learn more.
Congratulations. Is there anyone nationally competitive that runs in your area? How do you rate against them PAX wise? Just because your the champion, it doesn't mean your fast. For instance, there are plenty of champions down here in the SFR region but they run in a class with one other person or alone and their cars are no where near prepped to the class limitations.

Good luck with your diff. What class do you run in by chance?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:21 AM
polyol
Racer

I honestly will be running my stripped 440whp STi for most AutoX events. It for most intents and purposes is faster than my Z at 2500lbs.

The EESCC of Oregon had 200 members, some nationally relevant some champs. I took TTOD at least 3-4 times which I was proud of considering the competition. I was in SM which had like 20 guys in it. Im not going to pretend to be a pro...just a guy who has done a few thousand runs and likes to have fun on a regional level.

Im not sure exactly why this got put into the Autocrossing place...my Z is mostly a street rig that I want to AutoX every now and then to learn it better and when I took it to the last event I had to leave it in 1st which sucked. Switching to 2nd it was a dog on these tight courses. I also just dont like how long the gears are on the street. So...here we go.

Hope that helps. Paul
Old 05-23-2017, 09:18 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

You should ask Rich Willhoff what he is using in his C6 ZO6 or Danny Popp on what would be the best gearing.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:14 AM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
You should ask Rich Willhoff what he is using in his C6 ZO6 or Danny Popp on what would be the best gearing.
This is terrible advice, if they run different courses than the OP. I don't know how much Rich runs in Oregon, but I highly doubt Danny is going from Cincinnati to Oregon for local autocross...
Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

This is terrible advice, if they run different courses than the OP. I don't know how much Rich runs in Oregon, but I highly doubt Danny is going from Cincinnati to Oregon for local autocross...
"Terrible Advice" - No advice is terrible unless a person uses that "not the way to go/do" information more than once and doesn't learn from it. All advice is useful and it is up each individual to decide what is best for him/her, not you. This sport was always learned from trial and errors in order to decide what is the best setup, and seat time and good and bad advice will gain you that experience.

The original poster asked for information regarding what gear set to run in his C6 for both track and autocrossing. I am not a C6 expert, although I do own one but, I do not compete with my C6, so I referred the original poster to a couple of experts that I know who has setup successful C6s in the past several years for both track and autocrosses.

As a Corvette Forum participant, I thought that this would help out the original poster. I thought that I was being useful to the forum and the original poster, I guess I was wrong based on your previous post on this matter. Damn, one of my many second mistakes in life.

Also, what difference does it make what type of courses both Rich and Danny run. All autocross and tracks are different and usually one setup for a particular course/venue etc. may not be the hot setup for another course/venue especially going between a track and an autocross course. This is where experience comes into play for the next event or track in order to have a setup to start with and adjust from there. Believe me, both Rich and Danny have tons of both track and autocross experience and C6 setup experience.

The original poster was asking for information and all information is good. There is no such thing as bad information some information is better than no information.

You obviously do not know Rich and Danny and what courses and/or where Rich and Danny do run. You obviously don't know the expertise that Rich and Danny have in regards to setting up a C6 for both track and autocross. Essentially, you really don't know what Rich and Danny knows or probably never have ran with them at an event or even swap lies with them in the past face to face.

The reason why I know that you don't know Rich and/or Danny, is because I really do believe you what you posted, please refer to your previous post because you said "I don't know how much Rich runs in Oregon, but I highly doubt Danny is going from Cincinnati to Oregon for local autocross..."

A matter of fact that Danny has shown up at local autocrosses on the West Coast and Rich also makes his rounds as time permits.

So, my question to you (mattastick) why do you think that asking Rich and/or Danny is Terrible advice? Please enlighten me because I may be kinda stupid too. The only terrible advice I see hear is that you are passing on terrible advice about someone else advice and that is "Less Than Helpful".

Last edited by Nokones; 05-24-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

To me it sounds like you are trying to drive the Z06 like an STi. The all wheel drive subie can take more throttle input without penalizing you. The rear drive Z06 requires more finesse. If you stab the throttle in first like you would the subie, the Z06 will be very "snappy" as you put it. Once you learn to control that, I think you will be faster using 1st instead of 2nd. Once you put the 3.90 diff in the car I have a hunch 2nd is going to get that same snappy feeling 1st did with the 3.42.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I think the gearing sucks on Corvettes.

I love my 4.10s but the first 2 gears are a bit too low. Car needs 4.10s and a transmission ratios that tops out at like 185 mph but has not usable spreads in the first 3 holes.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:12 AM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Let us know how you like the 3.90s.

I currently have a GS and would like move to a Z06, but feel that the gearing is sub optimal for AX use on the Z06. I run in CAM or with non SCCA organizations to I could care less about classing impacts.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:55 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1

I currently have a GS and would like move to a Z06, but feel that the gearing is sub optimal for AX use on the Z06. I run in CAM or with non SCCA organizations to I could care less about classing impacts.

There is nothing wrong with the stock Z06 gearing. Most people are not driving these cars close to what they are capable of. Setup is another issue that has a huge factor on corner speed.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:43 PM
polyol
Racer

Look guys, I will take any advice I can take. No worries there.

Here is the problem with Autox in my area, max speed is 70ish or so, sometimes 60mph. That means I am either at the tip top of 1st gear which make it really hard to deal with (obviously). I go into second gear and it is just too dog legged and I have to shift back into 1st gear in tight corners. I just want to put the puppy into 2nd gear and never shift. Shifting typically means lower times. Mind you this is how my club is...just the way they set it up.

I also like shorter gears for the street. I mean 2nd gear to 100mph...come on, to me and this is my opinion, that is just crazy. This way I will shift out of 2nd at 80mph and 1st at 49.

And you are probably right, im an STi guy...I like short gears. Now if I was getting 4.10's then I would say you are all right, that would be crazy for what I am doing, but this is the way I am going and I will let you all know how it turns out.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:05 PM
polyol
Racer

Originally Posted by jw1

It is not optimal, trust me. I drove a GS and I think it is probaly faster (in fact easily faster) than the Z because it is geared better...

Quick Reply: New Gear Ratio's - Autox Setup