Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Z06 sue GM With Class-Action Lawsuit Because The Car Is So Bad On Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:49 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Curb weight 3883 lbs.

when did weight have anything to do with your original statement? Look up the weight of a GTR....not that it has anything to do with your absurd standpoint.

Bottom line, when you advertise something as track ready or track capable....it better be. The Z06 isn't.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Please explain how this car was not purpose built to be driven on the race track? Hell, scroll down, the car comes with a video and data recorder and the video shown is of the car on a race track. Further, Chevrolet will warranty Corvette's when something does brake on the track.

And Chevy isn't alone. Mustang GT350 owners are going after Ford for transmissions overheating on track because unless you got the "Track Pack" the car didn't come with a transmission cooler. When you buy a GT350 (or any "ST" level car) you get a free two day HPDE course. Why? Because Ford designed the car to be driven on a racetrack.
We built track focused street cars for quite some time. To say that the Z06 is a track car with a warranty is absurd.

This lawsuit is carried by a firm that sues GM with regularity.

Sue manufacturers for building cars aimed at enthusiasts and you will end up with nothing but run of the mill sports cars with no warranty if you touch a track environment. Everyone is on board to crush GM for trying to build street cars with a track capability. Supporting a lawsuit where lawyers shop for people to add to the class is just feeding that firm.

Total bs suit.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:46 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
How does the new Viper handle a hot track day?
seems to work ok, I was in one last year
Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 PM
ShahulX
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

guess I made the right choice in the grand sport over z06... plus I couldn't afford a new z06 lol
Old 06-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 73 Posts

Curb weight 3883 lbs.
Irrelevant. But when you don't have any real argument...

For someone that kicked off this thread by calling people stupid you seem to keep proving the stupidity of only one person. Guess who??

I'll spot you your couple of hundred pounds and take the Camaro and lets see if you can keep up:
http://www.imsa.com/news/022017/chev...17-competition
Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Change the brake fluid in a new Grand Sport and go melt the tires off of it. You "might" have a heat issue with an auto in Tx heat, but the stick will go and go and go.

A C5 Z06 with a clean radiator does very well on track in stock form. A C6 Z06 in stock form does well, both cars need a brake fluid and pad change.

The C7 Z06 is a joke, GM's flagship and was the laughing stock of the world even in magazine testing. And you can bet your *** they knew about it, that's why there was never a 'Ring time on this car....it wouldn't make a full lap.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 06-20-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Reggie Dunlop (06-30-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

I haven't pushed one yet but my C6Z had lifting issues at 130mph and other stuff.

Until I went went wild on it

I sure w a little work the cooling issues could be diminished.

Bigger rad & intercooler, wrap intake, supercharger maybe new hood
Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I started tracking with a stock C5 Z06. Would hit 290 oil temps within 10 minutes of being on track in the Texas summer (as an intermediate). I put in a larger radiator and oil cooler, and the oil stayed at 260 even as an advanced driver. This isn't a big deal. If you want a car to stay cool on track you have to trade off longer warm up time on street. Just put in the cooling equipment for track. You probably paid more for the leather wrapped trim package. Complaining about increased track temps on stock cooling is like complaining about getting blisters from the grain on the leather wrapped steering wheel. On track I have to turn too much, it causes blisters, I'm suing!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Kenneth Dantley Jr.
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have one day so far, and it was 103 with track temp hitting 158. Didn't overheat but I was doing cool down laps when the oil temp hit 260 or so. I will push it harder next time, I was more focused on learning the car this time out. If I need to upgrade some cooling, I will. If GM decides to do it for me, all the better. Is there a consensus on what exactly needs to be done? Oil Cooler first, right? What about meth injection?

My Challenger SRT8 would go full sessions at 9+/10 and stay cool enough. But that wasn't near the car this is, either. The brakes on that heavy beast got hot before anything else...
Old 06-22-2017, 12:12 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis

For someone that kicked off this thread by calling people stupid you seem to keep proving the stupidity of only one person. Guess who??

I'll spot you your couple of hundred pounds and take the Camaro and lets see if you can keep up:
I have known some women that were sensitive about their weight but I did not realize folks could be so sensitive and emotional about the weight of their car.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 PM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I've never been in a production car that sells for less than $125K that I could track with stock cooling and not overheat (and for those over $125K that handle the heat - my wife is unwilling to get into them due to the complete lack of comfort).
There are a number of 4cyl cars that can run bone stock on track without overheating... But you're limited to about 200hp
Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

I have known some women that were sensitive about their weight but I did not realize folks could be so sensitive and emotional about the weight of their car.
One of these posts you should try using some relevant facts. Guess you have none.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:30 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis

It's all relative weight especially in the corners. GM don't sale the GT4.R to the public so that car is irrelevant when comparing to a stock C7 Z. Somewhere I read that GM's initial plan was to run a NA engine, but that was shot down due to emissions or corporate. And to SouthernSun's argument; anybody with any track or autox experience knows you can't take a bone stock car and expect to be able to push it near the limit.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Jay_Davis
Drifting

Originally Posted by l98tpi
It's all relative weight especially in the corners. GM don't sale the GT4.R to the public so that car is irrelevant when comparing to a stock C7 Z. Somewhere I read that GM's initial plan was to run a NA engine, but that was shot down due to emissions or corporate. And to SouthernSun's argument; anybody with any track or autox experience knows you can't take a bone stock car and expect to be able to push it near the limit.
Irrelevant. Anyone knows that a 400 HP car can't get 28 miles per gallon. Uh, until they did. They advertised and sold the car as a track ready car and blatantly lied. There are laws against that, PERIOD.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Advertising for the Aventador is sporty. You can shred a set of the stock tires on track in an Aventador pretty quickly. Should we sue Lambo as well?

Last edited by SunnydayDILYSI; 06-24-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Advertising for the Aventador is sporty. You can shred a set of the stock tires on track in an Aventador pretty quickly. Should we sue Lambo as well?
I suppose GM will be sued for such a well designed A/H that shreds rear brake pads when pushed too hard on the track by those without enough experience to have the confidence to turn the darn thing off!
Old 06-24-2017, 04:17 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Some of my feelings on the subject, please do not take personally. I'm somewhat on the fence about this. Is the C7Z a capable high performance street car? Yes. As an on track road race car- not really and to GM, don't advertise it as being so. Make an option for a track package. Or better yet, build a no warranty COPO version, similar to the COPO Camaro. I'm sure there enough people with the where with all to afford one. There is so much electronic intrusions with a C7 that there isn't much that can be done about eliminating all the nannies. Wanna race a Mustang? Go to the Ford catalog and order a bare bones engine harness, correctly programmed ebcm, an electric steering rack that doesn't lose assist (like a C7), correctly programmed ecm. Ford sells these. If Ford can do it, why not GM? Have a Z51 Stingray and want to buy the GMPP Z06 brake kit? The Z51 ebcm isn't- and can not- be programmed to make full use of the Z06 brakes. Same for going to the carbon brakes or a real set of race quality Brembos.
The other side of my argument is, sue GM. What would you like GM to do or give you? A discount on another Corvette? Doesn't fix the problem of tracking a C7Z. Buy it back? You no longer have a C7Z. Only people benefiting is the lawyers. I don’t think a C8 is going to have less built in roadblocks for a truly track capable car driven by someone that knows how to drive. And yes, GM does have drivers at that skill level.
It gets better. What happens in the next few years when all cars get lane change warnings and auto braking, and whatever other things the feds mandate? We all see the commercials on tv saying how "great" these "safety features" are. How can anybody track a car with these installed? Do you really think GM, or any manufacturer, is going to offer a defeat for these? TPMS comes to mind. Without a thorough knowledge of automotive electronics and how the lan and can networks communicate with every module and a knowledge and capability to rewrite the coding in the modules, I think we are going be at the mercy of how the manufacturer builds them.
Good luck to all involved in this lawsuit. I think you will end up with either a- nothing, b- a small check for your overheating issue, c- selling/trading in the Z, or d- or a half baked band aid repair.
goshendad (06-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Z06 sue GM With Class-Action Lawsuit Because The Car Is So Bad On Track

Old 06-26-2017, 01:54 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

One of the problems with the Z06 was trying to keep the CAFE numbers reasonable, both for the brand and the company. When they went to DOD, you start to have heating issues and with the C7 they tried to do a track setting with DOD turned off. However the DOD will still kick in, according to a former engineer, to keep the engine block temps from going to high. Prolong running will continually increase the temps until it hits limp home threshold. A few know how to completely turn off the DOD, but the PCM/TCM will keep that change in its memory and may void future warranty work.

As far as Class Action Lawsuits, it take 4 users to sign up to make that status. The lawyers make their money and then the expenses/travel reimbursements/expert witnesses/etc, are paid and the little bit left over is divided among the signer's. The longer the suit lingers the more the lawyers make, that is why they try to get any type of class action suit started and hope it is settled out of court after a lengthy period of time.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
The other side of my argument is, sue GM. What would you like GM to do or give you? A discount on another Corvette? Doesn't fix the problem of tracking a C7Z. Buy it back? You no longer have a C7Z. Only people benefiting is the lawyers. I don’t think a C8 is going to have less built in roadblocks for a truly track capable car driven by someone that knows how to drive. And yes, GM does have drivers at that skill level.
Among the many things they asked for was "injunctive relief in the form of a recall or free replacement program" - they want GM to fix the problem
Old 06-29-2017, 10:20 AM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by alanautosports
we built track focused street cars for quite some time. To say that the z06 is a track car with a warranty is absurd.

This lawsuit is carried by a firm that sues gm with regularity.

Sue manufacturers for building cars aimed at enthusiasts and you will end up with nothing but run of the mill sports cars with no warranty if you touch a track environment. Everyone is on board to crush gm for trying to build street cars with a track capability. Supporting a lawsuit where lawyers shop for people to add to the class is just feeding that firm.

Total bs suit.
agreed!!

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 sue GM With Class-Action Lawsuit Because The Car Is So Bad On Track