Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now Available - Vulcan 2-piece Motor Mounts from AMT Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I just got mine today.

I am looking forward to getting them installed. Last month at PIR I lost two steering racks before we figured out the mounts were trashed and my engine was shifting forward far enough to wear a hole into my steering rack. We lost two steering racks that weekend for lack of a race grade engine mount.

BTW - the stock ones that were in the car were relatively new, too. They just can't withstand the abuses of racing.
I had a similar problem a few years ago with the Hinson mounts. After a certain time the poly degrades from heat and the motor has more play but not enough to cause you to question anything. In addition to steering rack to balancer issues- I ended up destroying a dual disk clutch because the engine was "leaning" back and causing slight misalignment due to excessive force on the input shaft.

I'm 100% certain that will be a thing of the past with these new mounts.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
I'm 100% certain that will be a thing of the past with these new mounts.
Yes, only way your engine is going to be moving back and forth is if you manage to shear 2 Grade 10 M12 bolts.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Yes, only way your engine is going to be moving back and forth is if you manage to shear 2 Grade 10 M12 bolts.
Let's not dare me to try... I think I've broken everything that can be broken in a race car. Just think... if these work.... you can market them as "Doug-Proof".
The following 2 users liked this post by Hi Volts Z06:
Miguel S (09-02-2017), Olitho (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Last weekend to get free shipping on these babies! Get em' while they're hot!
Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Miguel S
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Purchased! Thanks for this great product. Looking forward to the trans mount also.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:55 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Just ordered, looks like a great design.

I do have a tech question......on some of my other cars when you add a stiffer or more solid motor mount the knock sensors sometimes get triggered falsely due to the higher or sharper frequencies that some stiffer motor mounts can create.

Does anybody know if the C5 Z06 susceptible to this? (car is a 2003 model year)

Thanks
Old 09-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Just ordered, looks like a great design.

I do have a tech question......on some of my other cars when you add a stiffer or more solid motor mount the knock sensors sometimes get triggered falsely due to the higher or sharper frequencies that some stiffer motor mounts can create.

Does anybody know if the C5 Z06 susceptible to this? (car is a 2003 model year)

Thanks
Thanks for the order! It's generally solid (like solid chunk of aluminum) where people have had issues with knock sensors. The rubber insert in these mounts alleviates that issue.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:38 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Thanks for the order! It's generally solid (like solid chunk of aluminum) where people have had issues with knock sensors. The rubber insert in these mounts alleviates that issue.
Thanks for the response.....we had big issues with the Gen 4 Viper when people came out with very stiff polyurethane motor mounts. The knock sensors thought the engine was running on Mexican low octane Pemex, lol.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:29 PM
no0one718
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone have a set installed yet?

I replaced the broken OEM engine mount with a set of Hinson's motor and transmission mounts in my c6z. Two years later one motor mount is blistering, and I suspect the rubber is starting to brake down. The transmission mounts failed, which I assume is a result of my transmission input seal failing, covering everything with ATF. The rubber delaminated from the metal. I ended up going back to OEM transmission mounts, which are working OK...

Really looking forward to hearing how these work in street cars that see a few track days & drag strip passes a year.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:09 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Mark,

Are the new mounts ready yet? Are the new mounts narrow enough so that drysump or oil cooler lines will pass? Gotta have at least stock space for lines to pass. More is better. Also, what happens if I remove the rubber puck and I make my own delrin puck?
Old 09-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Mark,

Are the new mounts ready yet? Are the new mounts narrow enough so that drysump or oil cooler lines will pass? Gotta have at least stock space for lines to pass. More is better. Also, what happens if I remove the rubber puck and I make my own delrin puck?
Do you mean the lower, narrower race version? No they are not ready yet. These standard mounts do allow much more space for oil lines than stock however, so if you fit lines with stock mounts they'll certainly fit with these.

You can make yourself a delrin puck if you like but I don't know how your knock sensors will feel about it and I'm not sure how much of an advantage you'll gain from it. Delrin is essentially solid, and delrin can crack overtime. The hockey puck is quite stiff but has just enough give to dampen vibrations that might otherwise transfer to the driver and/or bell housing and drive tube.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Specific time frame on the shorter mounts for fitment of FAST manifold?
Old 09-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by sabastian458
Specific time frame on the shorter mounts for fitment of FAST manifold?
​​​​​​
Three weeks-ish, which is not very specific but that's my best guess with our current workload.
The following users liked this post:
ferrmaro (09-07-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 AM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll be buying a set soon!
Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I was installing headers Monday and found burnt oil on my pan. The OEM DR side mount had failed...Ordered these yesterday!

-Matt
Old 09-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Dropspeed
I was installing headers Monday and found burnt oil on my pan. The OEM DR side mount had failed...Ordered these yesterday!

-Matt
Thanks Matt!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

subbed - would like to order these before i deal with a failure, but waiting on a little more street-focused feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To Now Available - Vulcan 2-piece Motor Mounts from AMT Motorsport

Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by cseaman
subbed - would like to order these before i deal with a failure, but waiting on a little more street-focused feedback.
We shipped about 25 sets in the first week and quite a few people put them on. I've received only positive feedback from street car people. hopefully one of them will chime in hear soon.

We will have the shortened race versions ready to ship tomorrow. I have another set of regular mounts going to anodize today.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Do you have to remove the engine cradle and redo your alignment and all that to get these in, or can you kind of cheating wiggle them in there?
If you buy the lower the ones is there any downside for Street use, does it mess up the alignment of your exhaust system or anything else? It would seem to me it would provide some handling benefits to lower that weight down.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I got them in by just jacking up on the bottom of the oil pan so I did not have to touch the cradle nuts.

If you have AMT's camber kit, you won't have to worry about alignment changing.

Quick Reply: Now Available - Vulcan 2-piece Motor Mounts from AMT Motorsport