Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross and track day tire advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Default Autocross and track day tire advice?

Hi all, since I'm currently without a real race car... It must be time to take the C6z out to the track, and do some autocrosses as well.
Need something that I can drive to and from, for 18x11 and 18x13 rims.
Won't be buying Hoosiers or takeoff slicks.... however tempting those choices are. And I have no issue putting a 335 tire on a 13" rim, even though 12.5 is max recommended
So unless I missed something, seems my choices in 315/335 sizes are
R888r
Nitto NT01
BFG Rival S
Not worried about which one is faster or that an R comp will put me in a funky autocross class... I just flat suck at that anyway.
My main concern is how they heat cycle! I assume that the Rival might stay fresh longer, but does an R comp actually gain cycles on a short auto X run? It would suck to trash $1200 worth of tires in a parking lot, but I have my doubts about the Rival's durability in a 30min track session.
Anyone with direct experience????
I used the NT01s for track days on my M3, and felt they worked pretty well. They endured ~20 heat cycles over 2 years with minimal drop off, but probably 2 sec/lap slower than a Hoosier. Anyone autocross on these and count heat cycles before oblivion?
Never tried the R888r, but they're the cheapest of the bunch. (and therefore my favorite!) Anyone autocross on those yet?
Anyone track the Rival S and have experience with R comp tires to compare?
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I think the Rival S lasts a long time for just autocrossing, but like you I would doubt its durability for continuous-lapping track sessions. They weren't really made with that in mind. The Toyo R888r is a very nice track tire and I drive them on the street, too. The tread pattern is noisy (growls) but otherwise it works fine. They are better in the rain than people would think, too. I've autocrossed on them and I doubt they give up very much in speed to the Rival S, if any. They aren't legal for the 200tw tire classes, of course. I can't speak to longevity with these, since they came with the car. But the previous owner definitely ran some autocrosses with them before I did, and they definitely have lots of tread left.

My experience is all on my modded C4 with 315/35/17 Toyos or 315/30/18 Rival S tires at all four corners.
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (09-08-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 01:17 PM
MidOhioZ06
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Anyone with direct experience????

With all the 'YMMV' disclaimers up front... I have a 2013 Z06 that I have run in national level autox events (in AStreet) on BFG Rivals, I run it in the same configuration (minus adjusting shock settings) for multiple track days every year, including Mid Ohio, PittRace, etc. I have been autocrossing at a national level for over a decade & track rat for 5-6years now too...

Assuming good alignment (I am running approx 3/16-1/4" toe in rear, zero toe up front, and -2.9* camber up front, -1 to -1.2* rear), I have had the rears last a minimum of 2 long track days, and considering I logged probably 3k+ street miles & 14 autox runs on aggressive concrete in-between those track days, the wear seems reasonable. Grip level I can't comment vs Hoosiers, but I would expect you feel similar turn-in, but where the Hoosiers can likely sustain 1.5g (depending on surface, temps, etc) the Rivals I'd expect closer to 1.1g sustained, 1.25g peak. In 20-25min sessions where I am pushing for multiple laps in a row slowing only for point-bys from slower traffic... the tires have not fallen off, or felt 'greasy' but I could see getting there in 30min sessions, on a warm day with an aggressive driving style. I continue to buy Rivals to serve my purposes...
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOhioZ06
With all the 'YMMV' disclaimers up front... I have a 2013 Z06 that I have run in national level autox events (in AStreet) on BFG Rivals, I run it in the same configuration (minus adjusting shock settings) for multiple track days every year, including Mid Ohio, PittRace, etc. I have been autocrossing at a national level for over a decade & track rat for 5-6years now too...

Assuming good alignment (I am running approx 3/16-1/4" toe in rear, zero toe up front, and -2.9* camber up front, -1 to -1.2* rear), I have had the rears last a minimum of 2 long track days, and considering I logged probably 3k+ street miles & 14 autox runs on aggressive concrete in-between those track days, the wear seems reasonable. Grip level I can't comment vs Hoosiers, but I would expect you feel similar turn-in, but where the Hoosiers can likely sustain 1.5g (depending on surface, temps, etc) the Rivals I'd expect closer to 1.1g sustained, 1.25g peak. In 20-25min sessions where I am pushing for multiple laps in a row slowing only for point-bys from slower traffic... the tires have not fallen off, or felt 'greasy' but I could see getting there in 30min sessions, on a warm day with an aggressive driving style. I continue to buy Rivals to serve my purposes...
Thank You!
Just the kind of info that I was looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross and track day tire advice?

Quick Reply: Autocross and track day tire advice?