Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,458 Posts

"This is a team he loves, and his heart has always been set on staying"
McLaren is delighted to announce that Fernando Alonso has extended his relationship with the team.

The news underlines Fernando’s commitment to McLaren, his long-term ties to the organisation, and his belief in the exciting potential and promise that exists within McLaren.

He will contest the 2018 FIA Formula 1 World Championship alongside Belgium’s Stoffel Vandoorne.

Fernando Alonso said:

“It’s fantastic to be able to continue my relationship with everybody at McLaren. It was always where my heart was telling me to stay, and I really feel at home here. This is a fantastic team, full of incredible people, with a warmth and friendliness that I’ve never experienced elsewhere in Formula 1. I’m incredibly happy to be racing here.

“Just as important, McLaren has the technical resource and financial strength to be able to very quickly win races and world championships in F1. Although the last few years have not been easy, we have never forgot-ten how to win, and I believe we can achieve that again soon.

“The last three years have given us the momentum to plan and build for the future, and I’m looking forward to that journey.

“I’m excited for our future together – and I’m already working hard to make it a success.”

Last edited by Thunder22; 10-19-2017 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:12 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
Breaking news F1 :

McLaren has just officially announced the renewal of Fernando Alonso's contract for the next Formula 1 season.
I sure hope the Renault powerplants and McLaren chassis play nice.

Headed to Austin today!

Have a good one,
Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by VetteDrmr:
BrianCunningham (10-19-2017), Thunder22 (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,303 Likes on 806 Posts

The Renault engine has never been the most powerful engine, even in its time of glory with the 4 RBR titles and the Renault factory team titles. Its characteristics have always been fuel-efficient, with less cooling and great flexibility. I learned the term of drivability from Jacques Villeneuve who is a consultant on channel Canal + broadcasts F1 in France. Drivability , This term characterizes the DNA qualities of a Renault engine. And I'm sure that the return of the Renault engine will hurt, just a matter of time. Combined with McLaren's chassis (frame ?), I think even RBR and the Renault RSF1 team will have problems. Carlos Goshn, Stroll and Abiteboule of Renault have a plan to win from 4 years old since 2016 ( hum...I'm understandable ?). The engines are designed and tested in the factory of Viry-Châtillon, 1 hour south of Paris.

2013 : last year of V8 .

The team is in the process of being recruited and brought back to Enstone's standards, the former owner of Lotus, Gérard Lopez being almost a crook, the cars no longer had any parts or bodywork and were tinkered with 3M scotch, the employees went to eat at Bernie's expense on the GPs or at the will, begging, of the other teams. This man just bought the team for his marketing. Now, he has a football team (soccer) in France. In this former Lotus team, which used to be the Renault RSF1 team, no investment has been made for years. Renault took over Lotus in December 2015 and is now back to zero. Budkowski's recruitment was the masterstroke, all the other teams shouted at the scandal but were jealous of not having done so. It's also the face of F1: ruthless, a smile between friends around a drink for the family photo and at the same time, as during the Renaissance, a short dagger between your ribs ! This is also the other side of the F1 scene, a series that is always renewed and ruthless among all. Excuse me, I'm passionate and therefore very talkative.

@VetteDrmr : pics please and have fun in Austin

Last edited by BKorsaire; 10-20-2017 at 03:55 AM.
BrianCunningham (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Posted about putting out electric car fires on the SCCA's FB page

response
Just was at intervention training for F1.
They covered the red, yellow, green lights they have that tell you if it's clear to touch the vehicle.
Also there's special gloves now to be used for that situation. Nice post.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
What to watch for in Sainz and Hartley in Austin:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...us-grand-prix/
What is the story behind Carlos Sainz?.....I always see him mentioned and he seems to get a lot of air time on the broadcasts but I'm not overly impressed with his on track decisions, etc. Is he super talented or does he bring sponsorship dollars to the team with a famous racing name?

Just trying to figure out why he always seems to be talked about.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
What is the story behind Carlos Sainz?.....I always see him mentioned and he seems to get a lot of air time on the broadcasts but I'm not overly impressed with his on track decisions, etc. Is he super talented or does he bring sponsorship dollars to the team with a famous racing name?
Both.

He is very quick...if he can stay out of trouble.
Although Sainz has done nothing but improve year-after-year in terms of points, he has had too many retirements.
IMO, many have been because of his sometimes overly aggressive driving style.

He started the same year as Max did at Toro Rosso.
However, MV got the call up to RB.
Of course, he has whined about it ever since.
I honestly think part of Sainz going to Renault was to get him the hell away from Marko who, in spite of his potential, is no longer very fond of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Sainz_Jr.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:47 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

My personal opinion? We are here to present our different ideas in a friendly way and to make an average or not, but cordially.

For me, Sainz is talented, but he is not a Verstappen bis. He is like Perez, he is impetuous but has the defences of his qualities. Like Perez, he has strong sponsors in the Hispanic world and above all in Spain. In addition, his father is well known in Europe. 2 times World Rally Champion in 90 and 92, 26 victories in rally and after in rally raid with Peugeot and Volkswagen, as ''the Dakar''. His father has a lot of influence in the sport car in Europe. So a lot of media noise for marketing to satisfy the generous sponsors: during this loan to Renault, all of its sponsors are getting it as well. Let me be clear : when Renault is ready for the championship, Sainz will have to find another bucket.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 10-19-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:37 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Update on the use of motors and peripherals before Austin, published today by the FIA
ES : the batteries
EC : electronic control

It's remarkable for the teams powered by Mercedes-AMG and... HAAS. I wonder if the level of performance required by Ferrari is not higher relatively to the engines delivered to HAAS.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 10-19-2017 at 05:46 PM.
sunsalem (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Let me be clear : when Renault is ready for the championship, Sainz will have to find another bucket.
Certainly will be true if Sainz doesn't mature and become a team player.

Here is today's pre-race Driver's Press Conference:

Old 10-20-2017, 03:44 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

In all this joy around Alonso and McLaren, we would forget that Honda is still there. Vandoorne knows that : he begins already with a five-spot grid penalty following an ICE change, before the FP1. Perhaps a 9th on sunday...?

High mileage on the Belgian's Internal Combustion Engine has forced the change by Honda, which is Vandoorne's 8th this season.

Bad beginning for Hartley : excessive mileage has forced an engine change at Scuderia Toro Rosso. The team has yet to determine the exact grid penalty number, but a complete power unit swap would lead to a 30-spot drop for Hartley. Perhaps idem for verstappen, here or Mexico, RBR is thinking about. What will happen next year with 3 engines per season ? the pilots will race in flip flop? It's not serious Monsieur Jean Todt, it's F1 not WEC.

The choices of tyres for AUSTIN

Last edited by BKorsaire; 10-20-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

FP1, wet track : test of a prototype tyre, a new intermediate tyre, brought by Pirelli. A lot of grip but fast wear and tear
Old 10-20-2017, 01:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Max extends his contract 1 year with RB:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...iel-ricciardo/
Old 10-20-2017, 02:38 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

My personal opinion? We are here to present our different ideas in a friendly way and to make an average or not, but cordially.

For me, Sainz is talented, but he is not a Verstappen bis. He is like Perez, he is impetuous but has the defences of his qualities. Like Perez, he has strong sponsors in the Hispanic world and above all in Spain. In addition, his father is well known in Europe. 2 times World Rally Champion in 90 and 92, 26 victories in rally and after in rally raid with Peugeot and Volkswagen, as ''the Dakar''. His father has a lot of influence in the sport car in Europe. So a lot of media noise for marketing to satisfy the generous sponsors: during this loan to Renault, all of its sponsors are getting it as well. Let me be clear : when Renault is ready for the championship, Sainz will have to find another bucket.
I think Sainz could make a reasonable #2 driver in a team fighting for the Constructors championship. He'll need to grow up, and doesn't seem like the type that would be OK as #2 driver though, so that may not work.

It's remarkable for the teams powered by Mercedes-AMG and... HAAS. I wonder if the level of performance required by Ferrari is not higher relatively to the engines delivered to HAAS.
I read or heard (can't remember) that Merc has a much better handle on the damage done to the PU based on how long they run at different settings. This became especially important at Monza, when there were 2 non-factory Merc powered cars between the lead Silver Arrow and one of the red cars. Basically, the customer teams were instructed to run their engines in higher modes to help prevent the Ferrari clearing them quickly, with the assumption that they got something out of it (money was the most likely assumption). I don't remember if it worked or not, but I think it was Sky talking about it.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:33 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Hello kitty

https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/there...car-1819699850

Old 10-21-2017, 03:04 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by mattastick

. Basically, the customer teams were instructed to run their engines in higher modes to help prevent the Ferrari clearing them quickly, with the assumption that they got something out of it (money was the most likely assumption).
Wow, I wasn't aware of that.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:31 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 10-21-2017, 05:06 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mattastick
...Basically, the customer teams were instructed to run their engines in higher modes to help prevent the Ferrari clearing them quickly, with the assumption that they got something out of it (money was the most likely assumption). I don't remember if it worked or not, but I think it was Sky talking about it.
Very interesting. The wolves hunt in pack. But, I'm not surprised. No more than the following...

La ''Comédie à l' italienne'' begins at the Scuderia. ''The godfather'' Marchionne has decided to transfer Arrivabene (Le bienvenu in French, the welcome... lol) at the end of the season by Binotto, news from Sky Germany yesterday and revived in Italy. Binotto was the engineer who had replaced Luca marmorini (currently consulting with Aston for the regulation 2021) in 2015 at the direction of the engines. Marchionne did not at all digest the counter-performance of Scuderia since the Asia tour, he had warned that there would be other changes apart from the appointment of Maria Mendoza to the quality control management, here we are ! no doubt internally, other heads will fall off. I don't think it's a favour to do at the Scuderia but it's the usual internal crisis in Ferrari when things go wrong. However, to take a closer look at this Asian tour which was a disaster for Ferrari, there is 1 race that Ferrari could have won if V4 (Vettel 4x WCHAMP) hadn't done the foolish thing, not to mention Baku's wheelstroke...

Very good surprise in those FP by Carlito (Sainz), ahead Hulk, very good adaptation to RSF1 team and the beginning of Hartley. New châssis for V4, he said yesterday the front of the car was 'jelly''.

A lot of ICE changes for Renault motorized teams. Renault is already testing new internal engine parts for 2018.

And last but not the least : Gasly, STR, Superformula : Gasly: all this, for that, a bucketball game, humiliation of Kvyatt, for nothing.

Fate is sometimes cruel: Super Formula race cancelled because of a typhoon

Hiroaki Ishiura, who led the championship for half a point ahead of Gasly, who won without contesting the race! So why organize a race at that time when you know the recurrent risks?

Last edited by BKorsaire; 10-21-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 08:24 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,406 Likes on 753 Posts

This is one of the interesting things about attending a race: you don't really learn what's going on during the weekend until after the race is over!

One more thing: that stretch between T11 and T12 is LONG. Camera's don't give it any kind of justice.

Also, I've got a thread started with some photos:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-at-usgp.html

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

La ''Comédie à l' italienne'' begins at the Scuderia. ''The godfather'' Marchionne has decided to transfer Arrivabene (Le bienvenu in French, the welcome... lol) at the end of the season by Binotto, news from Sky Germany yesterday and revived in Italy. Binotto was the engineer who had replaced Luca marmorini (currently consulting with Aston for the regulation 2021) in 2015 at the direction of the engines. Marchionne did not at all digest the counter-performance of Scuderia since the Asia tour, he had warned that there would be other changes apart from the appointment of Maria Mendoza to the quality control management, here we are ! no doubt internally, other heads will fall off. I don't think it's a favour to do at the Scuderia but it's the usual internal crisis in Ferrari when things go wrong. However, to take a closer look at this Asian tour which was a disaster for Ferrari, there is 1 race that Ferrari could have won if V4 (Vettel 4x WCHAMP) hadn't done the foolish thing, not to mention Baku's wheelstroke...
Baku was where Seb really lost the game with LH.
He lost his cool, his concentration, and showed how he was cracking under Ferrari pressure.
I like SV, but he isn't invulnerable (as he was during RB title years).
IMO, he is one of the best drivers today.

Very good surprise in those FP by Carlito (Sainz), ahead Hulk, very good adaptation to RSF1 team and the beginning of Hartley.
Sainz did look good and adapted quickly.
IIRC, the Hulk was having some problems with his car.
New châssis for V4, he said yesterday the front of the car was 'jelly''.
Exactly what he DIDN'T need.
Apparently, they are replacing his entire chassis.
Renault is already testing new internal engine parts for 2018.
Very wise.
This season is over...the only thing to do is get a jump start on 2018.
So why organize a race at that time when you know the recurrent risks?
I think about that every year with the Japan GP.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
This is one of the interesting things about attending a race: you don't really learn what's going on during the weekend until after the race is over!

One more thing: that stretch between T11 and T12 is LONG. Camera's don't give it any kind of justice.
I noticed these things too when I went in 2013.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:54 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Very wise.
This season is over...the only thing to do is get a jump start on 2018
This is only true for RBR. The other Renault powered teams are in a scrap for what could result in millions of dollars of constructors championship money. 5th to 8th was $14 million in 2016 finishing places. That buys quite a lot of resources when you're trying to build up a factory team.