F1 Chat Thread - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


Autocrossing & Roadracing
Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default F1 Chat Thread

I've been thinking of starting an F1 Chat Thread for quite awhile, so here goes...

Anything and everything about or related to F1 is within bounds.
I'll be posting links to F1 sites about specific topics for further depth of information regarding our conversations or to start more chat (feel free to do so as well).

FWIW, I have been an F1 Fanatic for 20 years and love to discuss it.

At the end of each year, I will start a fresh thread.

BTW, I'm open to any and all suggestions on where YOU want this thread go.

OK, first up...this morning's F1 news.

Ocon will be at FI next season:
http://www.planetf1.com/news/ocon-wi...ndia-for-2018/

Aston Martin considering getting involved in F1:
http://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-m...o-key-factors/

Lewis thinks Max was in Vettel's blind spot:
http://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilto...els-blindspot/

Singapore strategy analysis:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...-reward-in-f1/

F1 experimenting with new broadcast technologies:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...etails-in-360/

Michael coming to the U.S. for treatment?:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...pe_in_America/

RB isn't happy with the regs:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...e_regulations/

Horner thinks F1 engine and aero tech doesn't crossover to the street:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...oad_relevance/

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
BaconWrappedSushi
CF Member
 
BaconWrappedSushi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 69
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Woo! First.

I love chatting F1. Subbing. Just got my 4 Haas Experience tickets for COTA this year. I had GA bought months ago and upgraded when they rolled out the Haas event.

Aston would be great for F1. A premier automaker that has a great racing history should be in F1, and Aston is it. Partnering with RB over FI was smart. Ocon's new deal is a no brainer. Dude is a legit F1 driver. If FI can just implement team orders and move on they would have way more points to their name...

Any new camera tech is awesome. I am dreaming of a day where I can pay for the F1 feed commercial free from NBCSN. BTW, where was Leigh Diffey? Loved hearing Bob Varsha again, but no mention of Leigh. I'm not his biggest fan, but if he has an illness I hope he recovers soon.

Last edited by BaconWrappedSushi; 09-20-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Cleaned up text to make for easier reading.
BaconWrappedSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BaconWrappedSushi For This Useful Post:
sunsalem (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

I went to COTA during the last year of the V8s.
Vettel won that one.
Fantastic experience.
The facilities are 1st class in every way.
EVERY F1 fan should must go at least once.

With the new engine formula coming in 3 years, I expect there will be quite a few new suppliers (such as Porsche, etc.).

Perez could be on the move...perhaps to Williams?

I don't mind the commercials...I just DVR the race and skip 'em.

I think Diffey had an Indy commitment last weekend.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
Nowanker
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: SF Bay Area Ca
Posts: 894
Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Nothing against Leigh Diffey, but I'd prefer Bob Varsha back.
I like Steve Matchett, but replace David Hobbs with someone current, and hope maybe they wouldn't trade banalities all race long.
But hey, the coverage and commentary are light years ahead of where they were on broadcast. Even with the asinine shots of some clown tapping his foot...
Look forward to the thread and info.
Thanks sunsalem for hosting!
Still miss Zoxxo....
Nowanker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nowanker For This Useful Post:
sunsalem (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowanker View Post
Nothing against Leigh Diffey, but I'd prefer Bob Varsha back.
I felt that the same way.
There was something about Varsha's smooth baritone delivery that made the broadcasts feel like a comfortable old bathrobe.

BUT Diffey has grown on me...
IMO, he does a pretty good job these days.

Quote:
I like Steve Matchett, but replace David Hobbs with someone current, and hope maybe they wouldn't trade banalities all race long.
Hobbs is the comic relief guy.

Quote:
Thanks sunsalem for hosting!
I'm not really "hosting," I'm just the thread starter.
Everyone has an equal voice and an equal share of where the thread goes.
Quote:
Still miss Zoxxo....
Don't know what happened to him.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
ShahulX
CF Senior Member
 
ShahulX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 451
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

We have been having an ongoing F1 chat for quite some time... but awesome to find more people!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hread-163.html
ShahulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahulX View Post
We have been having an ongoing F1 chat for quite some time... but awesome to find more people!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hread-163.html
WHOA!
I was completely unaware of this!
Thanx for bringing this to my attention ShahulX.

I guess this thread really isn't needed afterall.
There is no reason for two F1 threads.

Everyone please note the above link.

I'll move over there to join the conversation.
I encourage everyone else to do so too.

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-20-2017 at 08:45 PM.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member
 
VetteDrmr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Hot Springs AR
Posts: 7,085
Thanked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Sunsalem,

I gotta be honest: that thread reads like some kind of college intramural soccer game. The threads we've had over here get into a lot more, shall I venture "mature", subject matter?

We disagree, debate, acknowledge better arguments, etc. Didn't really see that over in OT.

If everyone goes over there I'll follow, but I like your original plan better.

Have a good one,
Mike
VetteDrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
ShahulX
CF Senior Member
 
ShahulX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 451
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

^ normally it isnt that bad.. just a couple people latley, normally we talk F1, but remember its been there forever...
ShahulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
BrianCunningham
CF Senior Member
 
BrianCunningham's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, Dallas, Detroit, SoCal, back to Boston MA
Posts: 28,274
Thanked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Default

threads here tend to stay more focused
BrianCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDrmr View Post

I gotta be honest: that thread reads like some kind of college intramural soccer game. The threads we've had over here get into a lot more, shall I venture "mature", subject matter?

We disagree, debate, acknowledge better arguments, etc. Didn't really see that over in OT.

If everyone goes over there I'll follow, but I like your original plan better.

Have a good one,
Mike
I went over to the thread and started reading pages from about a week ago and see the kind of thing you're talking about.
Seems to be just a few young guys talking teenage smack to each other.
I admit it isn't fun to wade thru that stuff.

Anyway, it's up to you guys...I'm game either way.
Although I would like to have others join our chat, I will stay here and try to keep this thread active as long as it is worth the effort.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member
 
VetteDrmr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Hot Springs AR
Posts: 7,085
Thanked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Default

I'm here! It'd be great if we could get the mods to make it a sticky, that way it doesn't get lost between races. Although I'll dig it out if that's what we need to do.

Also, isn't Hammy the BEST???? Bet he'd give Fangio a run for his money!

Have a good one,
Mike
VetteDrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #13
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

This is interesting...not sure if I have ever seen this done before: RB loaning Sainz to Renault, instead of cutting him loose.
I think it's pretty smart on RB's part.
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ll_in_2019_F1/
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #14
ShahulX
CF Senior Member
 
ShahulX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 451
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
I went over to the thread and started reading pages from about a week ago and see the kind of thing you're talking about.
Seems to be just a few young guys talking teenage smack to each other.
I admit it isn't fun to wade thru that stuff.

Anyway, it's up to you guys...I'm game either way.
Although I would like to have others join our chat, I will stay here and try to keep this thread active as long as it is worth the effort.
I can make the switch lol... I spend most of my time in this section and looking for parts anyways
ShahulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
VetteDrmr
CF Senior Member
 
VetteDrmr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Hot Springs AR
Posts: 7,085
Thanked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Interesting. Almost like last year in NASCAR. 2 years ago Clint Boyer signed on with Stewart Haas Racing to drive starting in '17. So for '16 he was in a 1 year contract with a different team.

Although if RB decides to keep Riccardio and Verstappen, I fear Sainz may have no home to come back to, the way the article reads.

Have a good one,
Mike
VetteDrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDrmr View Post

Although if RB decides to keep Riccardio and Verstappen, I fear Sainz may have no home to come back to, the way the article reads.

Have a good one,
Mike
I think RB wants to have Sainz available in case they have no say in the matter where DR or Max goes...sort of like an insurance policy.

The last line in the article says this: “Red Bull can only exercise this option by the end of 2018. Otherwise, Sainz will lose his link with the energy drink company for the future."
I take it to mean RB has to sign him to run in the RB team for 2019 or he is free to go anywhere.

I'm not sure but isn't the contracts for DR and Max scheduled to run out at the end of next season?
We know Kimi and Bottas only have a 1 year contract next year.
Potentially, there would be 2 empty seats for 2019 at the top 2 teams.
I'm sure both MB and Ferrari would love to have either of the RB drivers....
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #17
mattastick
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Posts: 133
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
I think RB wants to have Sainz available in case they have no say in the matter where DR or Max goes...sort of like an insurance policy.

The last line in the article says this: “Red Bull can only exercise this option by the end of 2018. Otherwise, Sainz will lose his link with the energy drink company for the future."
I take it to mean RB has to sign him to run in the RB team for 2019 or he is free to go anywhere.

I'm not sure but isn't the contracts for DR and Max scheduled to run out at the end of next season?
We know Kimi and Bottas only have a 1 year contract next year.
Potentially, there would be 2 empty seats for 2019 at the top 2 teams.
I'm sure both MB and Ferrari would love to have either of the RB drivers....
I think Merc is finding out this year that the driver pairs need to be more of a personality match than anything else. Rosberg + Hami was a nightmare to manage. Bottas + Hami seems much easier to manage, but it could also be that Bottas isn't as fast as Rosberg was (this seems to be the case, but even still Hami is playing nicer with him).

The way I read that article, is if RB doesn't pull Sainz from Renault by the end of '18, he's free to do whatever he wants. Which also means they don't have to save a car for him if they find a better option. As you said, this seems to insure that if needed, they have a fast #2 driver (or mid-pack team's #1).

As a Hulk fan, I'm really excited to see where Renault can get to with those 2 guys in the cars. Palmer has been terrible. I saw a rumor that Sainz was going to replace Palmer as early as Singapore, but it makes sense why STR wouldn't give him up to go get points for a team that could then steal their price money.
mattastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattastick View Post
Bottas + Hami seems much easier to manage, but it could also be that Bottas isn't as fast as Rosberg was (this seems to be the case, but even still Hami is playing nicer with him).
I believe, while very good, Bottas doesn't quite have Nico's pace.
Because of that, LH doesn't feel as threatened from his teammate (unlike last year), and that makes for a more pleasant Ham.
We know how nasty he can be...

Quote:
The way I read that article, is if RB doesn't pull Sainz from Renault by the end of '18, he's free to do whatever he wants. Which also means they don't have to save a car for him if they find a better option. As you said, this seems to insure that if needed, they have a fast #2 driver (or mid-pack team's #1).
How I read it too.

Quote:
As a Hulk fan, I'm really excited to see where Renault can get to with those 2 guys in the cars.
Same here.
There is plenty of reasons to believe Renault will have a faster car next year.
They are my pick for #4 (behind MB, Ferrari, RB), or possibly McLaren will sneak in?

Last edited by sunsalem; 09-21-2017 at 02:16 PM.
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
BrianCunningham
CF Senior Member
 
BrianCunningham's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, Dallas, Detroit, SoCal, back to Boston MA
Posts: 28,274
Thanked 68 Times in 47 Posts
Default

FIA tightens rules on F1 jump starts for 2018

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...r-2018-956352/
BrianCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,548
Thanked 858 Times in 660 Posts
Default

Exhaust "megaphone" for the fans?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...st_microphone/
sunsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • F1 Chat Thread
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    1st rule of racing: beat you teammate BrianCunningham Autocrossing & Roadracing 14 09-07-2017 12:46 PM
    No performance escape clause in Verstappen’s F1 contract ZO ZICK Off Topic 1 07-15-2017 10:21 PM
    Top EPA Official Admitted His Yahoo Email Was A ‘Channel’ For ‘Offline Chats’ With En Tinkerbell_in_Texas Politics, Religion & Controversy 1 09-20-2016 07:03 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: