Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:42 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Without Ferrarri, Formula 1 would be an anonymous formula between others. Fighting and beating Ferrari is the most unbelievable extreme jouissance there is! Ford in Le Mans with its GT40 knows it, as McLaren of the 90s in F1..."To win without danger, we triumph without glory"1637, Pierre Corneille in Le Cid

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-15-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:48 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

A new scandal is emerging: Ferrari, after the Budkowski affair (eX fia to Renault), did not respect the agreement between the teams to hire a FIA member after 1 year of inactivity. This time, it is Laurent le frenchy, Laurent Mekies, ex RBR and ex FIA assistant to Charlie Whiting to whom he was to succeed announced his departure for Ferrari !
Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Because without Ferrari F1 would have languished.
True, but I don't think Ferrari would have left F1 back then.
Even more then than now, they were a RACE TEAM more than a car manufacturer.
Where could they have gone?
There is no bigger stage than Grand Prix racing.

I've noticed no one seems willing to call their bluff.
As a poker man, I can't help thinking folding is the wrong strategy in dealing with Maranello.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

As someone who’s been an F1 fan for over 40 years, I am so tired of Ferrari’s bullshit. If they want to leave, then fine. It’s been great having you and we wish you well, but at this point the series will not collapse.

For sure the ‘special relationship’, meaning extra money and input into decisions for Ferrari, can be abolished and make the series more fair for the other teams.
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
BrianCunningham (03-19-2018), sunsalem (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

I can't resist giving you this hilarious news : McLaren's halo will be sponsored by Gandys a flip flop brand ! soon Nando and Stoffel in flip flop interviews?

Nevertheless, it's a nice marketing move and the sponsors are coming back to Mc, thanks to Brown.

Vive la tong en F1 ! lol (tong=flip flop in French)

Mc already, a big crash in Essen, Germany : a P1 against a VW Golf, frontal crash, the driver was in race mode I think, under the rain : not everyone's name is Hamilton ! he knows it now

https://www.bild.de/regional/ruhrgeb....html#fromWall

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-16-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: link bild
The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (03-19-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Renault's exhaust ruled legal:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._now__Whiting/

Charley Whiting confident no one will be burning oil this season:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ing_Will_Work/

Hypersoft tire might be a joke:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._only_one_lap/

Very interesting look at Liberty's Marketing going forward:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...ting-campaign/
Old 03-17-2018, 08:56 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Finally, it'll start again! I just bought the F1 2018 guide to prepare me for a very good F1 Champagne petits fours weekend. D-6...

The following 2 users liked this post by BKorsaire:
BrianCunningham (03-19-2018), sunsalem (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 10:22 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Charley Whiting confident no one will be burning oil this season:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ing_Will_Work/
The most interesting thing in the article was the comment about teams submitting fuel samples for approval. I thought F1 had gone to a spec fuel in the wake of all the chemical insanity back in the 90s (I think). So I can infer that the teams CAN put additives into the base fuel?

Hypersoft tire might be a joke:
I have never understood why Pirelli/F1 decided they needed two more tire compounds. Last season they made the entire spectrum harder and more durable, and as a result the Hard compound was never used AFAIK. Why not just go back to the previous set of compounds?

Very interesting look at Liberty's Marketing going forward[/QUOTE]

Marketing any kind of motorsport is a tough job these days; I hope Liberty's efforts are successful. Even if the racing is excellent the beagles will howl at the moon.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-17-2018, 11:38 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

F1 petrol is the basic commercial petrol but with special additives The rest is up to the petroleums and engine manufacturers or teams according to their engine specifications. Petronas and Mercedes have worked very closely together, enabling the latter to achieve higher power gains than other associations.in 2017, only 5 blends, compositions, authorized by season and in the same time 2 only in the same we
Old 03-17-2018, 01:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
****, wow.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:20 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr

I have never understood why Pirelli/F1 decided they needed two more tire compounds. Last season they made the entire spectrum harder and more durable, and as a result the Hard compound was never used AFAIK. Why not just go back to the previous set of compounds?
IIRC, the teams requested more compounds.

Pirelli says it will take awhile before the teams figure this year's compounds out:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...til_midseason/

Originally Posted by froggy47
****, wow.

Because it is a British car, I naturally ordered mine in British Racing Green.

2018's main Talking Points:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...s_for_F1_2018/
Old 03-17-2018, 06:34 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

McLaren fans I spoke to my friend Mansour today and he seemed cautiously optimistic about the MCL33. Their goal is to beat Red Bull so placing 3rd in the championship would be a success. He felt that Renault had a good engine but that once again Mercedes and Hamilton are the best and he predicts another world championship for Hamilton - merde!
We should know more about where the team stands at around the 4th race as most of the big adjustments will have been made by then with smaller ones made throughout the year. He did comment on some of the snafus but was happy they happened now and not later.
Another thing I learned last year was that while the car is racing the telemetry transmits 64,000 pieces of information every second and the night before the race the computing brain power in Woking simulates 1,200,000 different race scenarios. Et voila....it won't be long now!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:15 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Ok Bobby, I really hope to see Woking come back to the front and beat the Tyrolean lemonade makers. I hope they've prepared the cooling well.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:49 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by bcmarly
McLaren fans I spoke to my friend Mansour today and he seemed cautiously optimistic about the MCL33. Their goal is to beat Red Bull so placing 3rd in the championship would be a success.
Would be a real miracle (and a LOT of luck) if they beat RB this year.
IMO, if they finish 4th, a major celebration would be in order.

I like McLaren (particularly since Ron Dennis left).
Considering the last 3 years, just to get a few podiums in 2018 would make it a very successful season for them.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:50 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

DR giving RB heart failure:

Old 03-19-2018, 08:11 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Some news :

Lewis hasn't signed with Stuutgart's mustache Dieter Zetsche yet. "The Wolf" is afraid to see Lewis go to Maranello's sheepfold. Lewis confirmed that Ferrari has made him an offer for 2019 but that he is faithful and does not wish to go to Maranello. I think his salary will go up again, we're talking about 45 M€ for now...

Renault and its exhaust system

White thermal insulation layer (similar to the one used by Red Bull to insulate its brake drums).

The main plane produces support thanks to a speed difference between the air flowing on the upper side of the wing and the air sliding on the lower side: this is the principle - reversed - of an airplane wing. The faster the air flowing under the aileron, the higher the depression and the greater the support. It is also possible that Renault will also use the MGU-H as an engine to generate gases when the driver lifts his foot at the entrance to the bend, as with the 2014 blown exhausts. The MGU-H, which is no longer in energy recovery mode, then operates like a fan. It is the fruit of a close collaboration between engine and chassis department, therefore easier when you are a complete engine and chassis team.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Richard pourquoi tu dit "sheepfold?" There's not a racer in F1 who at some point doesn't want to race for Ferrari, including Lewis. I know for a fact he's a Ferrari fan when 2 summers ago he showed me pictures of his Ferrari LaFerrari. He was more excited than a 15 year old male virgin making his first trip to Pigalle with a follow up night cap at the Porte Dauphine. Et ne fait pas semblant de ne pas savoir de quoi je parle. Une petite taille pipe augment l'esprit n'est ce pas?

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:26 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Eh Bobby, je suis écroulé là ! I understand perfectly what you speak about : le petit train de l'Avenue Foch à la Porte Dauphine ! j'ai été voir, je t'avoue même que je suis monté dans une voiture une fois mdr

Lucky man to be in the middle of the F1 world : You really think he could go to "Féfé" ? he won't go as long as his W0x is dominating. But the fact that Ferrari has made an offer proves that the after Kimi is getting ready. A Vettel-Hamilton duo would be explosive for the others as well as for "Féfé": with 2 wolves in the same sheepfold...

Tu es confiant pour the comme back of McLaren this year ? with equal engine, we will see which of RBR and McLaren has the best châssis

Last edited by BKorsaire; 03-19-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

IF Ferrari has made an offer to LH for 2019 it means they haven't made one to Ricciardo, meaning he would probably go to MB.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

James Allen's preview of the 2018 season:
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018/...ng-point-year/

Jean Todt wants a race in Vietnam:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._of_new_races/