Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
I really don't understand this. It seems like it just makes things more complicated for the announcers to try and explain.

"Versenna just bolted a set of Softs on, and they're only going to last 20 laps this week. Last week the softs would last 40 laps, but you know this is Compound 3 instead of Compound 2 from last week, so that's why they last a shorter period of time." For the casual fan that tunes in twice a year or whatever I guess this now makes sense, as it's red, yellow, or white, and nothing more. It wasn't difficult, IMO, to keep track of the different colors, but now the Soft 1 week might work on 1 car, but then the following week, the same car will struggle on the "same" tire because it's actually a different tire. Why Pirelli, why?
Agreed.
There should be 3 colors for 3 different tires: soft, medium, hard.
The various Compounds add more useless complexities to a sport that is already too complex.
Another example of allowing the inmates to run the asylum.

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-22-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Mattastick, I totally agree with you. True F1 fans can no longer find their way under this pretence of simplification that is not the case ! Pirelli will always be Pirelli. I don't use their road tyres....

Stroll Sr, would have signed a major agreement with an online betting platform, SportPesa, an African platform that would contribute no less than €15 million per year, the final name will be revealed on February 13 during a presentation of the car in Toronto. It is also thought that BWT, which has given Racing Point (Force India) its famous pink colour for two seasons would no longer be on the car because its sponsorship was accompanied by a loan for the Force India team. This loan would have been repaid by Stroll Sr when the team was refunded last year
Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Very cool new avatar, Richard.
The following users liked this post:
BKorsaire (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

New Renault livery:

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...y_suggestions/
Very funny imagining.

McLaren's vision of F1 in 2050:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...ula_1_in_2050/
Definitely some eye-popping illustrations!

ROC Highlights:

Old 01-23-2019, 11:16 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

I particularly like the Renault livery painted just like a Red Bull!
sunsalem (01-23-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:27 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Rosberg thinks F1 will have to go electric soon:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...o_allelectric/

Alonso impressed with Daytona:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...on_at_Daytona/

Old 01-24-2019, 01:36 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Rosberg thinks F1 will have to go electric soon:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...o_allelectric/
Isn't that called FE?
Old 01-24-2019, 07:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Old 01-25-2019, 01:30 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Will overtaking REALLY be improved?
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2019/...roved-in-2019/
Old 01-27-2019, 07:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

http://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/i...4-stopped-rain

Last edited by sunsalem; 01-27-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:21 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Too bad it was shortened by the rain, would have loved to see it raced to all the way to the end.
Looking forward to Indy!
Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Too bad it was shortened by the rain, would have loved to see it raced to all the way to the end.
Looking forward to Indy!
The other drivers better be prepared for FA to be at his most competitive.
He REALLY wants this Triple Crown thing.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:21 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Liberty looking for an out?
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...bargain_price/
For some reason, I can't dismiss this rumor.
Liberty has capitulated to the teams and is learning the hard way where the power in F1 truly lies.
They just don't have the ***** to say, "Our way or the highway."

Teams reject Liberty's planned media reveal:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...edia_proposal/
It's almost getting comical.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:27 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Formula One Promoters Association not happy with Liberty:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._lack_clarity/
When it rains, it pours.

Americans (Liberty) have a friend in Russia:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...Liberty_Media/
This is reassuring...

Driver's salaries for 2019:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...salaries_2019/
Not bad dough, if you can get it.

To hell with the Triple, Alonso going for the Quadruple Crown.
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/666338/Alonso_aims_to_do_8216something_unpreced ented_in_motorsport8217/
He is going to be a monster at Indy.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles

Very cool new avatar, Richard.
THX Sun ! A tribute to the GJ (gilets jaunes, yellow vests, a lot of men and women who lost an eye because of the flashball (14 people so far, last Sunday 27th) or a hand because of the GLI F4 grenade (4 hands torn off) and thousands more for other injuries.

Dear US friends of F1, we are all impatient for the season to start and for us to hear in French or English: "lights out, and away we go for one more time...

I offer you a translation of a paper and web journal dedicated to cars, AutoPlus, I made some corrections but the main thing is an automatic translator. Today, it was proposed to break down the steering wheel of Ham V after that of V4.

Translation :
"The 2018 season's complete analysis with an analysis of Lewis Hamilton's steering wheel on the W09. Each order is listed, and this analysis - exclusive to you, blogger friends - concretely demonstrates all the operations that the reigning world champion could perform in trials and races. Finally, it is an operating manual that you must archive because most of these instruments, controls, switches and push buttons will still be in service this year. Below, the second of three chapters on this incomparable steering tool.

Rotary "STRAT": Global energy use strategy. The available modes and their numbering can change from one season to another (changes are even made during the season). In summary, for the 2018 season:

STRAT 1: "Recharging" - A mode that facilitates rapid battery charging but is not performance-oriented (used for example behind SAFETY CAR or VSC).

STRAT 2: "Quali" - The famous "party mode" reserved for qualifying rounds (or sometimes for qualifying simulations in EL2 or EL3). Depending on the competitiveness of competitors and circumstances, this mode is sometimes only used in Q3. Its use is limited for reliability reasons. The maximum mileage allowed for using this mode is defined in the "document phase".
Mercedes then has 3 ranges of STRATs to juggle absolute performance, energy management and reliability. Ranked from the most efficient to the most economical:
- The "Race Plus" (STRAT 3 to STRAT 5)
- The "Race" (6 to 8)
- The "Race Save" (9 to 11*)
Each of these ranges has 3 submodes:
- A balanced standard mode (the most used in each range) "High SOC" (State Of Charge), with a sufficiently charged battery. These are modes 3, 6 and 9. On the Hamilton wheel, these modes are associated with the word "ATACK" (spelled in this way). In racing, mode 3 is the most used. Mode 6 is also used when the driver is in race management phases.
An example: during the Spanish GP, Hamilton switched to STRAT6 on his own initiative on lap 49 when he was 16 seconds ahead of Bottas, 2nd. On lap 54, when Bono told him that the gap was now 18 seconds, Hamilton switched to STRAT9 which was the most conservative of the 3. During free practice, during long relays, modes 6 and 9 are the most commonly used.

- A "Low SOC" mode (n° 4, 7, and 10*) which allows the use of electrical energy sparingly. This prevents de-rating, for example, when the battery is lightly charged. On the Hamilton wheel, these modes are associated with the word "DFENSE". Indeed, it may be wise to use only a small amount of energy in winding sections where it is difficult to exceed in order to reserve electrical energy exclusively for sections that encourage overtaking. Even if this strategy is not optimal for the lap time, it can facilitate the defense of a position, or conversely an overtaking.
During the Spanish GP, Tony Ross ( ingénieur of Bottas) suggested to Bottas, stuck behind Vettel during the first relay, to select the STRAT4 in order to save electrical energy on one lap, and to try to deploy it fully on the straight line of the stands. As this strategy did not work, Bottas switched to STRAT3 the following round.
*STRAT10 has been modified in the 2nd part of the season.

- A "Deploy" mode (modes 5, 8, 11): these modes promote an aggressive deployment of electrical energy and are used when the pilot has to sign a performance on a lap or two, even if it means that the battery is substantially discharged. As these modes are not viable over time, they are used in particular for qualifying simulations during free practice (the choice is made according to the circumstances), for the start of the race (mode 5, the most efficient mode) after a Safety Car period (5), or during decisive moments during the race (undercut, etc.). During Q1 and Q2, Mercedes can use STRAT8 or STRAT5 depending on the circumstances, and keep STRAT2 only for Q3.
An example: this mode was used to allow Lewis Hamilton to overtake Sebastian Vettel after the pit stop at the Russian GP. After the overtaking, Bono asked Hamilton to remain in STRAT 5 until it was more than a second behind Vettel (outside the DRS area) : "Lewis, if you need the maximum of the engine, you can use STRAT 14... but be careful: STRAT 14 is not a durable mode... STRAT14 will only be usable in the straight line of the pits, so before turn 1. "

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Very impressive to integrate all this during a battle where you get the impression that victory is a matter of life or death, of honor. these guys all, even the last one, are heroes ! ...for me, my opinion just for me.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 01-29-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:58 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Formula One Promoters Association not happy with Liberty:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6..._lack_clarity/
When it rains, it pours.
Whiners gonna whine. FOPA wants Liberty to do everything they want without lifting a finger, and when Liberty can't, "well, it's not OUR fault, we didn't do anything wrong."

Driver's salaries for 2019:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/6...salaries_2019/
Not bad dough, if you can get it.
Amazing that Hamilton makes more in one month as Raikonnen will make in one YEAR.

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
I offer you a translation of a paper and web journal dedicated to cars, AutoPlus, I made some corrections but the main thing is an automatic translator. Today, it was proposed to break down the steering wheel of Ham V after that of V4.
BK, thanks for this; makes understanding "go to Strat x, please" possible! I wonder how many times the drivers change modes during a lap?

As far as racing in general goes, the Rolex 24 was quite a race. Attrition was pretty low, and apparently there are new reinforced bumpers in Porsches, as evidenced by how many cars they hit! Rain was epic, bringing out TWO red flags for the first time in history. And when people say "hey, ya wimps. Get out there and RACE", all you have to see is video of the puddles they were dealing with:

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-30-2019, 06:59 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Hello Mike,

The possible number of mode changes and depends on the type of circuit you are on and the circumstances, i.e. if you are in attack or normal race. I already publish some information before each GP, look for example at post# 2887 for the gear change at Interlagos there are 44 per lap ; in a race the pilot can change speed between 3 and 4000 times.

Of course, he must also change mode while being in contact with his engineer in the box, drink. On a circuit like Silverstone for example, on a "normal" lap at Silverstone, the driver makes about 40 gearbox selections (the fastest sequence in about 1.2 seconds for five downshifts in turn 3), two brake balance adjustments (rotary yellow BBAL on the RHand, you have on the LH a BMIG, brake magic, this gives the ability to fine-tune the settings in relation to the amount of energy being harvested so as not to disturb the car's balance), two LED display page changes and three differential adjustments - all in addition to the liaison with his track engineer.

The grey vertical thumb rotary MID, LH, is used to fine tune the mid corner effects of the differential.
The HPP multi functions deals exclusively with engine modes and can be used to change a whole host of details, such as fuel mixture and ignition timing.

Each pilot has his own way of training to use the buttons without leaving the track with his eyes : Nicoco (Rosberg) was jogging with the steering wheel in hand, Ham V trains by filming himself blindfolded, RoGro (Grosjean), I don't know ...

Get notified of new replies

To F1 Chat Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Salut Richard!
Absolutely amazing level of talent present. I'm lucky when I remember to check my gauges on the front straight.
We all love to make fun of the slow guys on the grid (and Gosjean...). Reality is that they all have an extraordinary level of skill.
Doesn't matter how much money you can provide, without at least that 99th percentile capability, you wouldn't even sit in the car...
BKorsaire (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 AM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Salut Steve, mon frère !

That's right, I'm like you, lost when I decide to change modes by driving with this SEL button. It paralyzes me when I want to change.

The changes indicated above are when everything is going well ! Ham V had to juggle a lot of parameters during a whole race in 2018 in conjunction with "Bono" Peter Bonington to save his engine.

February's Pirelli tests: compared to last year, the tests have been advanced and Pirelli fears a cold snap like last year. For reasons of cost and proximity to the English bases, Abu Dahbi, Bahrain had been excluded.

At this moment a little cold snap, a little snow and we complain at 0° C so when I see -50° C in the midwest, I have a furious desire to go back to my hammam and never leave it again before Barcelona testings.

Last night and this morning my garden... tomorrow there will be nothing, temps are going up.

Last edited by BKorsaire; 01-30-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:52 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BKorsaire
BMIG, brake magic, this gives the ability to fine-tune the settings in relation to the amount of energy being harvested so as not to disturb the car's balance)
I assume BMIG is Brake Migration, or how does the hydraulic and hybrid change balance/rear energy removal from the car to balance the front as downforce changes. But either way, awesome writeup with the steering wheels. Hopefully there are more tech articles like this while we wait for testing.
BKorsaire (01-30-2019)