Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Svra

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:12 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default Svra

I went to see the SVRA Heacock Classic and SCCA Trans Am at VIR this weekend. I was pretty disappointed in the turnout, both in the number and quality, of the vintage cars this year. Is anything going on with SVRA? Are guys defecting to HSR?

I know that Tony Parella, the owner of SVRA has acquired a majority stake in Trans Am Race Company (TARC). Are some SVRA racers staying home from events shared with Trans Am? It seemed to me like TA's presence on the program has displaced time from the vintage guys. If I had a vintage car I'm not sure I'd want to trailer a car all up and down the east coast for two 8-lap races in a weekend.

And WTF was there a Mazda "Mazda Heritage" race on the schedule? If I wanted to see a Miata spec race I'd go to a SCCA or NASA event.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:21 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Some pics from the race:

Heacock Classic slideshow
Old 09-25-2017, 04:31 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

having never been there I heard a rumor VIR was difficult to get to, also remember the SVRA had a big event at WG a couple of weeks and another at COTA coming up
Old 09-25-2017, 04:34 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice shots
Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I am old, and so have not yet raced with SVRA this season, BUT in my previous SVRA experiences at Sebring, CoTA, and Indy, there was an AMAZINGLY HUGE turnout of both competitors and spectators. I can't comment on VIR, having never raced there, but my understanding of the 2015 Indy race is that there were more spectators at that SVRA race than a the Indycar roadcourse race that year. Tony has only his members/competitors interests at stake here, and he really knows his stuff on organizing and promoting, so I would await more information before coming to any conclusions about success of failure as so far he has had astounding success in all of his endeavors.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Some SVRA events draw more cars than others. I've never been to the SVRA VIR vintage, and I don't think it's one of the better attended SVRA races, but I know it only had about 115-120 entrants this year.

In comparison, there were somewhere close to 600 cars at Watkins Glen, a few weeks before. Over 400 vintage racers, plus 4 classes of Trans-Am cars and a Formula Junior race. It really was too many cars. There wasn't enough room in the paddock for everyone, so a lot of us were paddocked on the grass in the camping area. Additionally, with that many cars and race groups (9 vintage groups, 1 Formula Junior and 2 TA), track time was very limited. We've been going to the US Vintage Grand Prix at The Glen, for as long as I can remember, but this year may have been our last. There are other vintage organizations we can run with, where we get a lot more track time.

I like Tony Parella, and I think he's done a good job with the SVRA, but I'm beginning to think that he's grown it to big. There were a lot of unhappy racers at The Glen, and Tony heard enough noise from people about their displeasure, that he commented on it at the driver's meeting (actually he chastised us for complaining about the situation). I will say that the crowd was the biggest by far, that I've ever seen for the US Vintage GP. I'm sure the Trans-Am had a lot to do with the large crowd.

I agree with you about not being interested in seeing a Miata race as part of a vintage weekend, but I think this is part of Tony's effort to get more entrants, at some of the lower turnout events.

Here are some pictures of the Corvettes, that were at the SVRA Glen weekend, that I previously posted in the C1-C2 and C3 General Forums. I was there to crew for Jim Glass, who was racing the yellow 71 in the first picture (yes it is a 71, but it has 68-69 side louvers that a previous owner installed).

For those of you not familiar with this "Corvette", it's a Corvette Daytona Prototype, which raced in the Grand Am Series from 2012-2016. Forum member "Mjolitor 68" also has a Corvette DP, and was at The Glen, but I never saw him on track.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gbvette62
This car was also at VIR. I saw the 696 at and HSR event at VIR a while back.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

vintage racing is the only circus in town where the animals pay to perform, after 36 races in 11 years I got tired of paying and parked my stuff after I won my last race at Elkhart Lake in 2006 on the other hand I can just imagine what it costs Mr Parella to rent Indy, Cota, Watkins Glen or even Road America for a vintage weekend.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:37 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by redvetracr
on the other hand I can just imagine what it costs Mr Parella to rent Indy, Cota, Watkins Glen or even Road America for a vintage weekend.
Tony told us that at The Glen, if the races go past 6:00pm, he has to pay extra to International Speedway Corporation (the France family, and the owners of Watkins Glen). Unlike most vintage and SCCA races, where the track workers are volunteers, he said everyone at The Glen (except the SVRA employes), are paid employees of ISC, including the corner workers. This is why track time is so limited, and group's run times get cut short, when there is an accident or something else that effects a race. He has to stay on schedule, to avoid having to pay extra for using the track.

I'm guessing that Indy and COTA have similar policies and costs.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:36 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Unlike most vintage and SCCA races, where the track workers are volunteers, he said everyone at The Glen (except the SVRA employes), are paid employees of ISC, including the corner workers. This is why track time is so limited, and group's run times get cut short, when there is an accident or something else that effects a race. He has to stay on schedule, to avoid having to pay extra for using the track.
How much shorter can they be? The SVRA races at VIR were just 8 laps.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by jcsperson
We had 20 minute sessions at The Glen, which at slightly over two minutes per lap, worked out to 8 lap races also. At the Indy SVRA, we've had a couple sessions limited to two hot laps, after there was a wreck, or an on track breakdown.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:59 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Great pics everyone...thanks
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

8 laps for a vintage race at Road America always pretty standard, of course R/A is a 4 mile track
Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by redvetracr
R/A is a 4 mile track
A very fast 4-mile track.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:03 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

A very fast 4-mile track.

best lap ever in group-6 for me was a 2:25.0
Old 08-03-2018, 05:06 PM
wxk122
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Gorries Chevrolet Toronto Ontario 1956-61 race cars

Gorries Chevrolet Toronto Ontario sponsored race Corvettes in years 1956 to 1960

Who in your club knows where the following cars are now and/or the Vin #'s of any of these cars

(a) 1958 F.I. 290hp all white with hardtop race driven by Ed Leavans

(b) 1959 F.I. 290hp silver with red cove that was driven by richard Greenblatt now deceased

( c) 1960 F.I. 290hp all white with hardtop that was driven by richard Greenblatt now deceased

(d) 1960 F.I. 290hp all white with hardtop that was owned and raced by DAVE BILLES (i.e. Canadian Tire family ) (note: I have contacted him but he does not have the Vin# of the car which he traded in for a 1963 Corvette at Gorries )

(e) 1956 white with blue cove area vin # E56S001701

(f) 1956 all red race car driven by Ed Leavans E56S003202

Thank you for any information

Bill Keogh
NCRS member 1610
E mail: wllmkeogh@yahoo.com
Tel: 905-8712341
Fort Erie Ontario

Old 08-03-2018, 07:59 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

That would be lame to me but I'm used to a longer sprint race. If the drivers are as old as the cars 8 laps is plenty! SVRA seems to have something for everyone. They even have a modern class with C5 corvettes classed in it. Seems strange for vintage but with the additions of heritage SM and TA well its just racing.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:25 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
That would be lame to me but I'm used to a longer sprint race. If the drivers are as old as the cars 8 laps is plenty! SVRA seems to have something for everyone. They even have a modern class with C5 corvettes classed in it. Seems strange for vintage but with the additions of heritage SM and TA well its just racing.
Um.......we "OLD" guys run 90 minute enduros too:-)
I'm not very fast, but our enduros run ALL classes. Travis Engin usually wins with his Audi R8 (which won LeMans in 2005) and a Porsche RS Spyder is ususally 2nd. We run open wheelers too, so there are usually F1 cars and Indy cars running with us...........in the rain...........on slicks..lotsa fun.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 08-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Svra

Quick Reply: Svra