Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson tvs2300 Heartbeat on road course

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Magnuson tvs2300 Heartbeat on road course

I've actually been dreading starting a thread like this and mentioning a supercharger in this particular section of the forum, but here it goes.

I just want to start by stating this question is primarily for the guys tracking their vehicle with a Magnuson PD blower. Few and far between I'm sure, but I know you're out there and I need your opinion.

I'm not concerned with reliability of the system as it comes from Magnuson at 6 or 8 psi. My concerns are if the oil and coolant temps stay in check in a 20 minute session? Also, if the IAT levels remain decent. I'm discussing a few options as it pertains to the type of racing I'm doing (time attack) and adding this blower has been mentioned. THE CAR PRIMARILY TURNS ABOUT 4 OR 5 LAPS THEN HEADS IN.

Now that I've made that perfectly clear, I'm not running 20 minute sessions. But quite curious if anyone has had success actually going that long in their C5 or C6 Vette with this supercharger. The C6 ZR-1 and C7 Z06 seem to be doing pretty well, but they are engineered from the factory with this blower.

The competition in my class usually consist of 700 or 800hp vehicles. The rules are rather loose regarding power. Basically you can have unlimited so it turns into a money game. No amount of driver talent can overcome such a large horsepower disadvantage. A nice, stock and consistent LS6 isn't cutting it anymore. Heads and cam most likely wont even get it done either. An LS7 or H/C LS3 is being discussed as an option but I believe will cost more. Still figuring things out for 2018 and what falls into the budget.

I know Ruiz in the Stoptech C5 Z06 quite a few years back has had success in the ultimate car shoot outs using the Magnuson. But I have not heard much since. Guys that track this setup please chime in. Would be a great help in my decision process.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:33 PM
RocketRod
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Subscribed...
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Was I too close for your comfort!
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:10 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Originally Posted by Dropspeed
Was I too close for your comfort!
haha...yup!!! The question really is, how do we catch Jason?? I know he's lurking in the shadows here somewhere lol
Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by REVHARD
haha...yup!!! The question really is, how do we catch Jason??
Good luck. I think you have your work cut out for you if that's your goal.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

meth injection on intercooler?

meth is the way to go
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

haha...yup!!! The question really is, how do we catch Jason?? I know he's lurking in the shadows here somewhere lol
I like realistic targets. 800 E85hp, full aero and its a Katech supported car will be hard to catch.

I am going to focus on getting my suspension straightened out and I know there is 2 seconds there alone at M1 and probably more at Gingerman and Grattan I could count M I S S I S S I P P I (s) off as the car was understeering mid corner :0

Matt
Old 10-11-2017, 02:27 PM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like realistic targets. 800 E85hp, full aero and its a Katech supported car will be hard to catch.

I am going to focus on getting my suspension straightened out and I know there is 2 seconds there alone at M1 and probably more at Gingerman and Grattan I could count M I S S I S S I P P I (s) off as the car was understeering mid corner :0

Matt
Try talking to Scott at HPE in Fort Wayne for suspension.
260-693-2692
Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

They heat soak pretty bad. After your supercharged, tracked engine fails then people build a forged engine.
I would build a drysump ls7. It ends up being cheaper doing things right the first time.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 PM
triple_s1x
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like punishment and enjoy wrenching none stop,you can buy my old turbo setup.

`

Switching to a bigger cube motor, and dropping a bit of weight for next year.

Last edited by triple_s1x; 10-11-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:49 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Good luck. I think you have your work cut out for you if that's your goal.

Matt
Originally Posted by John B
They heat soak pretty bad. After your supercharged, tracked engine fails then people build a forged engine.
I would build a drysump ls7. It ends up being cheaper doing things right the first time.
yes, lofty goals indeed. All great advise as my heart is leaning towards just a CNC head and cam package. Start there until the motor finally goes, then go more cubes. Being really competitive, it's just absolutely heart breaking entering a turn bumper to bumper and watching these other monsters put 5 bus lengths on you before the next turn. I really want to fight fire with fire. But I also do not want to wrench on and repair the car relentlessly.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:50 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Originally Posted by triple_s1x
If you like punishment and enjoy wrenching none stop,you can buy my old turbo setup.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:02 PM
triple_s1x
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, lofty goals indeed. All great advise as my heart is leaning towards just a CNC head and cam package. Start there until the motor finally goes, then go more cubes. Being really competitive, it's just absolutely heart breaking entering a turn bumper to bumper and watching these other monsters put 5 bus lengths on you before the next turn. I really want to fight fire with fire. But I also do not want to wrench on and repair the car relentlessly.
Switch classes is my suggestion.. If your doing gridlife, switch to a square 285 tire setup, and run in street mod. Just wait for next year and a few more unlimited cars show up with a ton of power and sequentials.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Originally Posted by triple_s1x
Switch classes is my suggestion.. If your doing gridlife, switch to a square 285 tire setup, and run in street mod. Just wait for next year and a few more unlimited cars show up with a ton of power and sequentials.
I thought about that but the car is pretty much spot on with the suspension and tires I'm using currently. I'm also in Track Mod class with 100 treadwear tires. One class down in Street Mod is just as competitive. Watching Yonkers in his supercharged M3 with Aero just flat out crushing it, puts me right at square one again.

Ideally, in the perfect world where the wife doesn't care what you do or how much you spend...LS7 and Aero would be in the works immediately.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:38 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 AM
micjester
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about that but the car is pretty much spot on with the suspension and tires I'm using currently. I'm also in Track Mod class with 100 treadwear tires. One class down in Street Mod is just as competitive. Watching Yonkers in his supercharged M3 with Aero just flat out crushing it, puts me right at square one again.

Ideally, in the perfect world where the wife doesn't care what you do or how much you spend...LS7 and Aero would be in the works immediately.
Were you at GL last weekend? If so, I was the silver z06. Play in track mod with me!

Last edited by micjester; 10-12-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnuson tvs2300 Heartbeat on road course

Old 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Originally Posted by micjester
Were you at GL last weekend? If so, I was the silver z06. Play in track mod with me!
No, I went off track at The Speed Ring event and damaged my tires a few weeks prior. I just called it quits for the season.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:51 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

for what it's worth (if you still care), the only times mine really got too hot during full sessions was in the CO summer heat - low humidity, 6000+ DA, 100+° OAT.
that was at Pueblo & High Plains. oil & water temps started getting up there about halfway through the session. running at Road Atlanta & some spots in AL/FL, even in the summer, it was fine.
granted - i don't run TT or anything competitive; just semi-aggressive HPDE

Last edited by _zebra; 07-26-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:08 AM
REVHARD
Racer

Originally Posted by _zebra
for what it's worth (if you still care), the only times mine really got too hot during full sessions was in the CO summer heat - low humidity, 6000+ DA, 100+° OAT.
that was at Pueblo & High Plains. oil & water temps started getting up there about halfway through the session. running at Road Atlanta & some spots in AL/FL, even in the summer, it was fine.
granted - i don't run TT or anything competitive; just semi-aggressive HPDE
I do and I think others are still curious as well as I think it's a valid option. Thanks for posting your results.

I just did a head and cam upgrade on the LS6 and ended up at 440whp for now. Nothing spectacular but the car definitely feels better. For the long haul and to keep things simple for me. I think more cubes is the only way to go on a road course. So I picked up an LS3 which had some minor PTV contact. I'm curious how a "mule" setup would run too? LS3 6.2L short block with LS6 243 heads. I have a lot of strange ideas brewing in my head lol .

Quick Reply: Magnuson tvs2300 Heartbeat on road course