Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen Track Notes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default Watkins Glen Track Notes

Does anyone have a set they'd be willing to share? I'll be back there next weekend and it'll be the first time since before the repave. I'm also instructing so I'm looking for reference markers for a student. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:40 AM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Does anyone have a set they'd be willing to share? I'll be back there next weekend and it'll be the first time since before the repave. I'm also instructing so I'm looking for reference markers for a student. Thanks.
You may be aware, here are set of track walks by some well known coaches. I haven't used them yet, have read nothing but positive feedback from those that have.

https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/
The following 2 users liked this post by gpuglisi:
blueray16 (10-13-2017), Iank (10-11-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Heya Sean. I have some track notes from Watkins I can send to you. I'm there almost every week. Send me a pm with your email and I will get them right over.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
You may be aware, here are set of track walks by some well known coaches. I haven't used them yet, have read nothing but positive feedback from those that have.

https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/
Thanks. I forgot about those. I actually used the similar online seminar that Mike Skeen did on VIR and actually picked up a fair bit of time.

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Heya Sean. I have some track notes from Watkins I can send to you. I'm there almost every week. Send me a pm with your email and I will get them right over.
Thanks. Sending you a PM now.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 10-08-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:57 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

I believe Ross is going to be there this weekend and last year he did a track walk. Heading out Friday AM!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I doubt you have time to get it but there is a very well done DVD that is narrated by Brock Yates and includes input from one of the classroom instructors that I know at the Glen. It is called Speed Secrets at the Glen.
https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets-At-Glen-Watkins/dp/images/B000JL14X2 https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Secrets-At-Glen-Watkins/dp/images/B000JL14X2

If you send an email to me at bdearborng@gmail.com I can send you a pdf file that I put together for a couple of Charlotte guys who went to the Glen earlier this year. Also look up info from Walt Leising. He used to be a class room instructor in the 90s and put together some great diagrams on how to drive the track. He passed in 1994 but most of the diagrams haven't changed from then and since the repave and removal of the concrete they are even more appropriate. A lot of class room instructors have been using those diagrams since Walt put them together in the early 90s.

Bill
Old 10-11-2017, 12:58 AM
Twiggs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aim for the storm drain going down the hill into the boot. That's about the only thing I remember 100% from my HPDE there.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:13 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The track is HUGE fun with the repave....Ran a 2:02.1 on several cycled R7's. last year oil pressure issues this year kept me from running hard... went 2:05.4 in 4th gear only.
BUT Watch turn 6 do not turn in too early. there is no grip and the car will push over the good camber. My GF found the armco and got a $3400 dollar bill for pavement and armco damage.....never mind the 5k in parts to fix the car
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with Bill on the Secrets of the Glen video. Yates does a great corner-by-corner break down of the track. The concrete patches are gone so some of the references are outdated but he has some suggestions for T2 and T7 I have never heard repeated and they work great.

I have a set of notes comprised of suggestions from Bill, Yates and several pros augmented with my own experiences. Be glad to share. PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 10-13-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree with the Brock Yates Video, that's what I purchased before going there for last years NASA National Championships.

Here's my two fast laps from TT if they can also help, since repaving etc...

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Dennisscars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We went cross country from Kalifornia to WG and didn't want to go that far to n00b the track. I seem to be a visual learner, I found it helpful finding a similar car's video (similar to Dave's above) then I downloaded it and cut it so that it would loop at the same spot on track so I had a clean looping lap. Fortunately for me the car in the video had the same shift points and even the camera mounted in a similar spot. I bet I spend hours sitting in my car with the laptop in the front simulating shift, brake reference and turn-in points. Hooked up the speakers in the garage for full effect. The last week I strapped in, helmet and all.

I was strikingly similar to the same time as my training video and thoroughly enjoyed time there.

I didn't spend near the same time/effort for Mid Ohio and wasn't near as fluent. I suggest a similar speed car, time to reference points not same for miata's vs F1 cars.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everybody. The event was a bust for me. 3-day event and I came in after the second session on day 1 to find a puddle of coolant under the car. Some debris hit the intercooler and it was leaking. I managed a 2:08 on that second session but I was just starting to figure things out.

I'm not sure if I'd call this fortunate but my student for the 3 days also had a mechanical and had to call it early. His C5 would spontaneously cut out mid-corner and after it did it in T9 and we nearly got rear ended we were done for the day.

I guess this is still an improvement on my last trip there when my C6Z wouldn't run a single lap without going in to limp mode and the only car I got to drive at speed was a friend's BMW loaner car.

I do love that track though. So many high speed corners it's like the whole track is as much of a gut check as the climbing esses at VIR. Maybe next year.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Ahh sorry to hear that Sean. A 2:08 is a screaming lap for anyone, and for just figuring things out it is super impressive. Hope you get the issue sorted. Sorry I missed you.

Anthony
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Sean. Fun place. Not a lot of room for mistakes though. I was in a crash there this season as a passenger and the C7Z51 car I was in was totaled exiting turn 9.

Put down my personal best there this season with a 1:59.66. I would expect you to be quicker after a couple days getting comfortable with the layout.

I know it's after the fact but for reference here's a couple recent DE laps you could save for next time.

Gary Wimble has a nice video of a 58 at the Glen as well as one at VIR in the 55's. I used his video/data at the Glen to find a couple seconds as I was in the 2:01's last season.

Here's another and this from a C7Z done during the same event as Gary was at with Chin.

We are trying to be at Summit to end the season November 3-5 with Potomac PCA if you're interested? That is if the pavement is finished. Otherwise the backup is another event at NJMP Thunderbolt that same weekend.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Steve. I'm headed to VIR Nov 2-5 with TrackDaze and Audi. I had an opportunity to get on the new SP Main on Nov 2 but won't be able to make it due to VIR.

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glen Track Notes

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen Track Notes