Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant issue/Evans coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Coolant issue/Evans coolant

Let’s start from the beginning. I bought a c6 with a built motor stock radiator/fans and no oil cooler and the previous owner used to do track days with it. I had a feeling being in Az an oil cooler Dewitt’s radiator and pro speed fan setup were in my future.

I didn’t know the tune in the car either but I wanted to be safe than sorry so I went to have it tuned and to my surprise the computer is locked so I left it and never tuned the car and haven’t messed with it at all. I also decided to change all the fluids in the car fix the various leaks and replace brakes etc. the car needed a lot of TLC. Then go to the track and see how it does.

First track outing the coolant temp stayed at 215-220 tips the entire time but the oil temp saw 310 at one point and I backed off immediately.

I went home and ordered a fan radiator and oil cooler. Well the next track day everything didn’t arrive in time but I wasn’t going to miss the track so I just told myself to watch temps. Once again coolant temp was fine and oil temp got hot.

The next track day I had the improved racing oil cooler with no tstat, Dewitt’s radiator, and Pro speed dual fans. I put everything in and went to the track the following weekend. I ran the track for the first session and the oil temp never went over 160 so I was happy there but now my coolant temp was 235-240. Back to the drawing board. When I went to the new radiator I also went to water and water wetter so I would be legal for the track.

Since I never had the car tuned I am thinking well maybe the fans aren’t running their full potential and that’s reason the car is getting hot. Before I went into getting a new ecm I was doing research and pulled the plug and bought Evans coolant (man they are proud of that stuff) I figured it can’t hurt even if it doesn’t lower the temp it’s not corrosive, higher boiling temp, lifetime coolant and race track approved. I couldn’t go wrong.

Now for tonight:

The car with water and water wetter in it idling would go to 225 the fans would kick in and it would cool back down to about 210ish then slowly heat back up.

I put the Evans in the car and let it idle for 40 mins and the car never got over 205 degrees. Overall I am surprised how well it has worked so far. I will be going to the track and will update my findings. Has anyone else used Evans coolant and what is your experience?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:17 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2gtoowner
Since I never had the car tuned I am thinking well maybe the fans aren’t running their full potential and that’s reason the car is getting hot. Before I went into getting a new ecm I was doing research and pulled the plug and bought Evans coolant (man they are proud of that stuff) I figured it can’t hurt even if it doesn’t lower the temp it’s not corrosive, higher boiling temp, lifetime coolant and race track approved. I couldn’t go wrong.

Now for tonight:

The car with water and water wetter in it idling would go to 225 the fans would kick in and it would cool back down to about 210ish then slowly heat back up.

I put the Evans in the car and let it idle for 40 mins and the car never got over 205 degrees. Overall I am surprised how well it has worked so far. I will be going to the track and will update my findings. Has anyone else used Evans coolant and what is your experience?
Have no experience with Evans, so won't comment on that, other than I can't see how heat is dissipating (fans don't come on until 225).

Since your fans appear to come on at stock temps, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they didn't alter the fan programming. Assuming that, the fans don't run at all above, I think, 35 mph.

Gut feel? You vastly improved the oil cooling, but those btus have to go somewhere, and that somewhere may have been the radiator. That's assuming you didn't alter the airflow through the nose of the car.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-04-2017, 02:30 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

My first guess is your oil temp sensor is wrong at 160 temps showing if your water is that hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant issue/Evans coolant

Quick Reply: Coolant issue/Evans coolant