Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tire advice from autoxers! **Please help!!** (time sensitive)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 07:53 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I really appreciate you guys taking your time to answer my particularly silly question. Money is definitely an issue so having a separate set for autox isn't an option and I'm not super competitive but with such an amazing car it is a shame to run on anything that isn't bringing the car's full potential out. Because of the money issue I know that isn't possible so I'm looking for the best 340-300 A tire that wouldn't be too bad autoxing. I know the answer is "there are none" and I get it, you gotta pay to play but what would be the best possible? I already ordered the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's which haven't come in yet but if someone has any bad experience or I find something in my research that says I shouldn't get them then I could still pay the restocking fee and get something else. It looks like everyone likes the new Indy 500's though so I think I made the right choice just haven't seen any autox experience with them. I might actually be the first or at least the first to talk about them.

I will definitely be updating you guys with my experience with whatever tire I end up installing and updates every other week after that so sub to the thread if anyone is curious on the results of my quest to find a medium softness autoxable tire. I might do a video on this for my YouTube channel, JDMricist.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 PM
sunny12
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 thoughts???

Originally Posted by JDMricist_03
Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I really appreciate you guys taking your time to answer my particularly silly question. Money is definitely an issue so having a separate set for autox isn't an option and I'm not super competitive but with such an amazing car it is a shame to run on anything that isn't bringing the car's full potential out. Because of the money issue I know that isn't possible so I'm looking for the best 340-300 A tire that wouldn't be too bad autoxing. I know the answer is "there are none" and I get it, you gotta pay to play but what would be the best possible? I already ordered the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's which haven't come in yet but if someone has any bad experience or I find something in my research that says I shouldn't get them then I could still pay the restocking fee and get something else. It looks like everyone likes the new Indy 500's though so I think I made the right choice just haven't seen any autox experience with them. I might actually be the first or at least the first to talk about them.

I will definitely be updating you guys with my experience with whatever tire I end up installing and updates every other week after that so sub to the thread if anyone is curious on the results of my quest to find a medium softness autoxable tire. I might do a video on this for my YouTube channel, JDMricist.
Hi, I'm new here and a new first time owner of a 2012 GS and have been looking at these Firestones really hard. Like you, I have done a lot of research and haven't really seen anything bad about them. How do you like them? Good all around tire? I'm not looking to be a daily driver or exclusive track hound, but a little mix of both. Would probably see track time a couple times in a year, mainly road use in the mountains where weather is always unpredictable. I know I'm really late to the conversation, but I would appreciate any feedback you might have. Thanks, Derek.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:36 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I also ordered the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for daily driving and 9 autocross events this year. I can't get them mounted before the event this weekend. April 1st is the next event. I will report back then.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Have a look at the Maxxis VR1. It's a great tire, but not sure if they make the right size.
For something more sticky, check out the RC1. A great tire if available in your size.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Don Lambert
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16
The easy answer from an Autocross perspective is RE71R or RivalS. I use RE71R's on my C5 with a square rear Z06 18x10.5 setup.

What class are you prepping for? Square wheels automatically move you from Street to Street Touring. Other existing mods might push you further in CAM territory.
Do you use a spacer for the front 18x10.5 wheels?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:39 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
I also ordered the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for daily driving and 9 autocross events this year. I can't get them mounted before the event this weekend. April 1st is the next event. I will report back then.
So how were they for Autocross?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:30 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

On April 1st I drove a MR2 instead. It rained at the last event, so results would be inaccurate. The next event is Sunday, however, 90% chance of rain, rain predicted for all week here in Florida. So it might be the end of July before I can compete in B Street and give my observations competing in the dry.

Sorry
Old 05-16-2018, 04:04 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheProsecutor
On April 1st I drove a MR2 instead. It rained at the last event, so results would be inaccurate. The next event is Sunday, however, 90% chance of rain, rain predicted for all week here in Florida. So it might be the end of July before I can compete in B Street and give my observations competing in the dry.

Sorry
It's all good, thanks for the update though!

Quick Reply: Need tire advice from autoxers! **Please help!!** (time sensitive)