Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vintage racing tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:10 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default vintage racing tires

I know I asked this question a couple of years ago, but I have been told the Hoosier vintage tires have gotten better, and the Goodyears keep going up in price. Wondering what everyone thoughts are about the tires. The other thing I would like to know is how many heat cycles you guys are getting from your Goodyears. We ran three races this past year and finished in the top 8 in every race, with a full Monterey legal car. I had to point this out because we seem to be giving up some significant horsepower, especially to the GT350's who are running 330+ cu. in. engines. At the CSRG Charity Challenge a friend of mine asked if I was putting on new tires for the race, since mine had 9 heat cycles on them. He told me that he not heard of anyone getting over 6 on their tires, although Roger Krause told me that if you did not abuse them they would be good for 8-10 cycles. I know some people put on a new set every weekend, but I don't have the budget to do that.

thanks,
Larry Savio
Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
I know I asked this question a couple of years ago, but I have been told the Hoosier vintage tires have gotten better, and the Goodyears keep going up in price. Wondering what everyone thoughts are about the tires. The other thing I would like to know is how many heat cycles you guys are getting from your Goodyears. We ran three races this past year and finished in the top 8 in every race, with a full Monterey legal car. I had to point this out because we seem to be giving up some significant horsepower, especially to the GT350's who are running 330+ cu. in. engines. At the CSRG Charity Challenge a friend of mine asked if I was putting on new tires for the race, since mine had 9 heat cycles on them. He told me that he not heard of anyone getting over 6 on their tires, although Roger Krause told me that if you did not abuse them they would be good for 8-10 cycles. I know some people put on a new set every weekend, but I don't have the budget to do that.

thanks,
Larry Savio

I ran Hoosiers, tried a set of Goodyear rears once and didn`t like them, at that time the Goodyear front was too tall but in my opinion the guys at the front of the grid are not putting 9 heat cycles in their tires, when I ran the #1 below it was a new set for qualifying and I just went a few laps, came in and off the car they came and into the trailer overnight, ran them in the race the next day and then again in practice the next event, if your happy running 8th ok, I was not.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:49 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I ran Hoosiers, tried a set of Goodyear rears once and didn`t like them, at that time the Goodyear front was too tall but in my opinion the guys at the front of the grid are not putting 9 heat cycles in their tires, when I ran the #1 below it was a new set for qualifying and I just went a few laps, came in and off the car they came and into the trailer overnight, ran them in the race the next day and then again in practice the next event, if your happy running 8th ok, I was not.
We feel that we have a car that should be in the top five. I raced for a long time and know that only racing 3 times a year is not enough track time to think that I am driving to my full potential. I would be kidding myself to think that I was. I might try the Hoosiers this year to see how they are. In older posts people say they are faster than the Goodyears for the first few laps but go away once they get hot. I have read in other forums that the Hoosiers last longer, and I'll read on another forum that they don't. I trust the vintage drivers on this forum, so that's why I asked the question.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:47 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I think this answer, like many others is "It Depends."
I have run both. The Goodyears of a couple of years ago were clearly better (more stick, and lasted longer) than the Hoosiers. Then Hoosier made a "better" tire, so now, I think try both. At the sharp end of the grid, I know that both Mike Donohue and Edward Sevadjian run "sticker tires" for each session, so I would think that to be truly competitive (in any sport) is going to be expensive.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:34 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I think this answer, like many others is "It Depends."
I have run both. The Goodyears of a couple of years ago were clearly better (more stick, and lasted longer) than the Hoosiers. Then Hoosier made a "better" tire, so now, I think try both. At the sharp end of the grid, I know that both Mike Donohue and Edward Sevadjian run "sticker tires" for each session, so I would think that to be truly competitive (in any sport) is going to be expensive.
Thanks Garrett We also have some guys who run stickers each day. It would be nice to have that kind of budget, but it's not going to happen unless I hit the lottery.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:40 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Thanks Garrett We also have some guys who run stickers each day. It would be nice to have that kind of budget, but it's not going to happen unless I hit the lottery.
I race to have fun. Some do.............and some don't

Get notified of new replies

To vintage racing tires

Quick Reply: vintage racing tires