Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Camber Kit Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM
bj1888
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C5 Camber Kit Opinions

My C5Z is about to tick over 100k miles, and will be getting a thorough suspension refresh in the next few weeks. I've got C6Z shocks, VBP bushings, Moog ball joints (upper and lower), a new steering rack bushing, and HD tie rod ends ready to go on the car.

I figure it's probably worthwhile to get a camber kit to replace the factory eccentrics, too. But I've seen that there are two types of kits (the shim/block type kit like Pfadt and Vansteel make, and a kit from AMT that uses adjustable plates). It seems like the AMT kit would be easier to use, but wanted to see what the opinions were regarding the differences.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM
0Adrian @ F.A.S.T.
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used other brands before and the AMT kit is the easiest to use. You get the adjustment more or less and then just fine tune with the shims. Set it and forget it type of thing. Other brands I noticed you have to use way more shims due to lack of lower adjustment.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How much camber are you guys looking for? I assume you want more negative camber. Is C5 different than C6? Because on my c6 I had no problem getting -4 degree without any camber kit.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:42 PM
0Adrian @ F.A.S.T.
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The kits lock them into place where they can't shift or move.
The following users liked this post:
Andrie (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a kit for sale. $150 shipped.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have AMT's kit on my C5 and would recommend it. Marks kit comes with these things rarely seen in the track community. Rare as a leprechaun or a unicorn...
Instructions!!!!!!
Actual, useful instructions

Last edited by Dan H.; 11-20-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The Van Steel plates provide several adjustments as well. They have two bolt holes in the plate with one hole being a different distance from an edge than the other. I used to have them on my C6Z. If you choose one hole and set it toward the inside of the car you will have minimal negative camber, if you loosen the bolt and pull the plate free from the cradle and flip it 180 degrees you can push the lca mount further out to get max negative camber. You can even choose max in at the rear plate and min at the front plate to max out positive caster. Then you can play with the shims behind UCAs. Most people just let the lca cams sit and do all of their adjustments with the shims behind the dog bones on the ucas. It is easier to do that and is very similar to the way alignments were performed on cars before manufacturers started using cams to adjust alignment.

Bill
Old 11-21-2017, 06:10 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1888

I figure it's probably worthwhile to get a camber kit to replace the factory eccentrics, too. But I've seen that there are two types of kits (the shim/block type kit like Pfadt and Vansteel make, and a kit from AMT that uses adjustable plates). It seems like the AMT kit would be easier to use, but wanted to see what the opinions were regarding the differences.
Our kit is certainly the most versatile of any kit available. I don't think any of them are necessarily "easy to use" simply because nothing is easier than the stock eccentric setup. Alignment shops don't like working on Corvettes with camber kits because anyway you slice it takes more time to set the car up right. Of course once you get it dialed in then it's never going to move again. But if you're driving on track a lot and going fast with sticky tires then I think they're pretty much required. If this is a street car that never really sees track time then I don't think a camber kit is worth the expense or the hassle. How's that for a sales pitch!? Please let me know if I can answer any questions.
Olitho (12-10-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm using the AMT kit on my car. I didn't hear any swearing from my alignment guy so they must be good!
Old 11-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I have a kit for sale. $150 shipped.
I'm interested sent you a pm
Old 12-10-2017, 07:38 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly.s
I'm interested sent you a pm
Replied.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am very pleased with the AMT kit.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:45 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I went with the AMT kit. So far I've installed the rear portion of the kit. Doing it on jackstands makes alit a bear to get those in, not to mention the gas tanks being in the way. Now I wish I would have done monoballs in the control arms so there wouldn't be so much binding. I think the fronts will be easier to install being there are ecentrics on both bushings on the lower arms.
hardyakka (07-13-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Gh05t
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an old thread, but whats the maximum negative camber you guys can get with the AMT kit?
I'm planning to build by C5Z to autocross in CAMS next year.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Gh05t
Sorry to revive an old thread, but whats the maximum negative camber you guys can get with the AMT kit?
I'm planning to build by C5Z to autocross in CAMS next year.
Depends how low you run your car. I've heard of guys getting as much as -3.5 in the front. I run my car around -3.2.
Gh05t (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 12:58 PM
Gh05t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Depends how low you run your car. I've heard of guys getting as much as -3.5 in the front. I run my car around -3.2.
Thanks!
I'm planning to run Alden American coilovers, so it should be a 1-1.5 in drop below the lowest possible setting on the stock bolts.

Another question, does the kit work with Delrin control arm bushings? Can you get to the maximum camber settings with the stiffer Delrins?
Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh05t
Thanks!
I'm planning to run Alden American coilovers, so it should be a 1-1.5 in drop below the lowest possible setting on the stock bolts.

Another question, does the kit work with Delrin control arm bushings? Can you get to the maximum camber settings with the stiffer Delrins?
I have the AMT kit on my car with the Borg Delrin (non-offset) bushings and the front I have no problem getting to max camber since you move both the lower control arm positions. The rear is more difficult, but is still possible. Just takes a big pry bar to move the control arm into position and than push the camber kit into place. Takes a lot of elbow grease though.
Gh05t (09-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Camber Kit Opinions

Old 09-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Gh05t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by '12GS
I have the AMT kit on my car with the Borg Delrin (non-offset) bushings and the front I have no problem getting to max camber since you move both the lower control arm positions. The rear is more difficult, but is still possible. Just takes a big pry bar to move the control arm into position and than push the camber kit into place. Takes a lot of elbow grease though.
Good to know!
I have the whole winter to get the car ready for next season, so I'm prepared for a lotta elbow grease
Old 09-17-2019, 03:23 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I have the AMT kit like I previously said before. With Stock bushings it's definitely not easy to get the rears onto the car. I bought a set of the GSpeed monoball kits so I'm going to go through that install over again. I'm hoping with the monoball kit that I won't get the binding like I did with the stock bushings. I'm not sure how easy delrin bushings are going to be to install being they have little give and only work on a single plane vs a monoball having the ability to move around a bit. Good luck.
Gh05t (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by chetly
I have the AMT kit like I previously said before. With Stock bushings it's definitely not easy to get the rears onto the car. I bought a set of the GSpeed monoball kits so I'm going to go through that install over again. I'm hoping with the monoball kit that I won't get the binding like I did with the stock bushings. I'm not sure how easy delrin bushings are going to be to install being they have little give and only work on a single plane vs a monoball having the ability to move around a bit. Good luck.
All valid points. Only time I ever have a customer contact me with issues with the camber kit is when installing with delrin bushings. I believe some delrin kits have a tapered hole in the rear-most bushing to allow it to articulate. You're gonna have the same issue with our camber kit or the stock eccentrics however. Often takes a big *** pry-car to get that arm to move!

Quick Reply: C5 Camber Kit Opinions