Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Donut Media: C6 Super Charged Drift Car Fabrication Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Donut Media: C6 Super Charged Drift Car Fabrication Series

been really enjoying this series and all the fab work. alot of it which crosses over to us. plus im a little bias cause its a C6

The following 2 users liked this post by STANG KILLA SS:
Chris_ATL (08-12-2018), Drift Vette (09-27-2021)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Old 12-05-2017, 07:16 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Old 12-05-2017, 07:16 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Old 12-06-2017, 11:48 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Pure comedy gold.

There is no way in hell I'd get in that car, and any tech inspector that passes it should have his brain returned for service.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:38 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think this build is great. I'm not a drift fan but I've seen those boys in action and I give them props and respect. In my opinion these guys are doing a great job with this vette!
The following users liked this post:
Drift Vette (09-27-2021)
Old 12-13-2017, 04:00 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

agreed. certainly not a grassroots hack job.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:33 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

His cage is unsafe. Dunno how the tech guy let it go through
Old 12-14-2017, 11:49 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

im in for the gearbox - a drift/race company from latvia called HGK racing (that typically builds up ls based bmws) has done a few vettes in the past (including Diago Sato's 900 kg C6) and utilizes a Samsonas Sequential Gearbox along with a Winters quick change diff on their cars.

The builder of this car mentioned something on one of the videos about waiting on HGK so this will be interesting to see more on the install -

fwiw the samsonas sequential is supposed to be rated at over 1000 ftlb of torque and runs for about $10K - much cheaper than the emco holinger and ppg options...

Old 12-14-2017, 04:10 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

to my knowledge no one in FD runs a sequential.

i tryied to find some clear onboards of the HGK cars, but couldnt, to see if they were gated or seq shifted.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Pure comedy gold.

There is no way in hell I'd get in that car, and any tech inspector that passes it should have his brain returned for service.
Originally Posted by mgarfias
His cage is unsafe. Dunno how the tech guy let it go through
How is the cage unsafe?

I know nothing about building cages so I'm just curious as to what to look for in a good vs bad cage.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

S-bends in the side bars - invitation to collapse in a crash. The roll over hoop isn't directly attached to the frame rail, its attached to a plate that is welded to the rail - really flimsy way of doing things. Ever see the pix of the mustang that rolled with no doubler plates on the unibody? Thats what'll happen with this. There is also no bar going through the dash connecting the A-pillars, so they can spread in a crash.
jaredtxrx (12-18-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
How is the cage unsafe?
First things first, I have the utmost respect for those who choose to build their own cars, since there's a phenomenal amount of knowledge needed to do it right. There's not a lot of knowledge needed to do it wrong, and while there are a number of differences in the rules between series, there's a fine line in meeting the requirements of a class and being safe.

/disclaimer

There are a bunch of fun elements that I've seen in this video series, and a bunch of concerning points. The cage build is one, for sure. As mgarfias mentions, the s-bends on the door bars are not on the top 10 list of things that I'd be happy with [steel fatigues when it bends, which is a key reason why the number of bends are specified in cage build requirements], as are the platforms built out for the hoop.

Both driver and passenger attachment points have similar builds -- the rear hoop does not overlap the frame rail.

For comparison, on a C6 Z06 (full disclosure, my car. I purchased the car after the cage was built, largely in part based on the cage design and work performed on the car previously.)

This is over-and-above what I'd call the typical build, the main hoop is connected to and braced directly against a structural member of the car. Ditto, there are a minimum of bends on the door bars [and none inwards] and significant amount of overlap on the frame rail.
My C5 IT / GT car does have platforms built on the frame rail where the hoop and A pillar down tubes could not get 100% overlap on the frame. With that said, there's over 50% coverage on the frame rail at each point. Coverage is important.

EG, For the car that had the main hoop built out like

This happened.

... anyway. The likelihood of a rollover is potentially less with this series, but I'd be very concerned about side impact. Side impact with that door bar would make me ... uncomfortable. The lack of a dash bar so far would add to my level of discomfort.

One thing that bothers me, is that there are a number of quick decisions being made and shown -- things I'd qualify as measure once, cut and recut a few times. My hunch is that they'll have to be corrected throughout the build, but if feels like there's a lackadaisical approach to details that will turn in the bigger issues later.

Nitpicky details like

.... which include some really nice welds, but questionable ability to apply direct tension on the mount. As an added bonus, the default AIM cables turn down 90*, and will very likely have interference issues with the ears and clamp unless the cables are rebuilt. It's this attention to detail that is usually the cause for old racers.
For comparison, the team who ran this 350Z at Silver State thought they knew better, but the techs that I talked to questioned the tires that were being run ... the car had a blowout at speed.

Doom and gloom aside, that transmission looks REALLY interesting. Curious to see if there are any known LSx / Y body builds, or if it's one-off / being built territory. I'm also interested to see the rest of this series to see how the rest of the build is done, redone, or otherwise wrapped up. I'm hoping that he's able to correct and show how a few extra things are done right as they get closer to the end.

Last edited by emf; 12-16-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Youtube vid fixed.
jaredtxrx (12-18-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:37 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I totally agree their Plinth Box is inadequate. It only appears to have about 3" of weld to the frame, and isn't distributed over the area of the frame at all. Mounting to the fuel bulkhead is not the same thing.

a 1.75" tube has a circumference of 5.5", and you generally want your mounting plates to have MANY times that much weld length to distribute the load.

They also left the OEM hoop in, which kills head room, visibility, and reduces the safety margin in a roll over.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:37 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
to my knowledge no one in FD runs a sequential.

i tryied to find some clear onboards of the HGK cars, but couldnt, to see if they were gated or seq shifted.

samsonas sequential gearbox with a winters quickchange rearend set up for a c6

heres a recent BMW project (used as a Formula Drift Car) running the same unit: http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/10/...2-eurofighter/

you can find more searching for HGK Samsonas

The following 2 users liked this post by el es tu:
emf (12-18-2017), STANG KILLA SS (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 09:29 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

I always find that picture of the blue Mustang with the crushed roof kind of comical as people blame the roll cage for collapsing.

To me it appears the roll cage did its job, the installer, not so much.....

Get notified of new replies

To Donut Media: C6 Super Charged Drift Car Fabrication Series

Old 12-18-2017, 11:09 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I always find that picture of the blue Mustang with the crushed roof kind of comical as people blame the roll cage for collapsing.

To me it appears the roll cage did its job, the installer, not so much.....

Kind of a fine line, but I agree with you -- the steel did its job, but it's more a point of the entire system being as strong as it's weakest point. Whether you consider it to be the cage design or the installer, it comes back to the same thing, and where I'd be concerned with landing on the lid of that C6.

Ironically, this build seems to be using a similar or same design as the HGK Corvette ... so it must be either (a) a really popular design for folk, or (b) a copy.

To each their own, I guess ... but I'm glad that car hit a factory impact area instead of somewhere that the cage would have taken a hit.
Kinda surprising considering that they went to the trouble of CNC'g their own A-Arms.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:50 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

also at the end he has an open invitation to anyone that sees something hes doing wrong.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:49 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

apparently its getting their traditional carbon kevlar bodywork - usually only a couple layers thin. This is all produced by oct composites (attached is a screenshot from their facebook page) When the cars are sideways you can sometimes see the doors flexing from the air...

and this is what it should look similar to:

Last edited by el es tu; 12-22-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Donut Media: C6 Super Charged Drift Car Fabrication Series