Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here actually put tpms in a pressurized container?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 AM
Andrie
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone here actually put tpms in a pressurized container?

I’m trying to find a way to fools tpms the cheapest way possible. Anyone here actually tried the suggestions of putting it in a pressurized canister and put it in glove box? My understanding is the tpms had to actually rotate to send signals to save battery as it is not constantly on. If someone successful in doing so I’ll invest the time and money to do it. However if someone here tried it and doesn’t work, I’d save my time and money and look or other solution.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:03 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Waste of time and effort. Just pull the steering wheel sensor under the dash. Takes two seconds and works. Or install LG trackbox.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Do you have more info on how to do this?
Old 12-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
Do you have more info on how to do this?
Hey Andrie, I tried the canister trick making one out of PVC tubing and you are right, the sensors will periodically go to sleep and when that happens AH goes nuts. So it does not really work. You can pull the steering wheel position sensor which is the mod Mike Huang that you know aka Mikymu came up with and I belive is detailed in his "GT Transformation" thread. You can also get the LG track box which delets the TPS and I believe can be set so that when you fire up the car it automatically turns off TC. Or you can just leave the TPS sensors in, which is what I finally ended up doing with my car and have had no isses with.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Andrie
Instructor

Thanks guys. So easy and simple!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:45 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I have my sensors in a canister, and it works most of the time . However since I never run active handling or traction control I also have the steering column disconnected
Old 12-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
I’m trying to find a way to fools tpms the cheapest way possible. Anyone here actually tried the suggestions of putting it in a pressurized canister and put it in glove box? My understanding is the tpms had to actually rotate to send signals to save battery as it is not constantly on. If someone successful in doing so I’ll invest the time and money to do it. However if someone here tried it and doesn’t work, I’d save my time and money and look or other solution.
I did this with my 2008 Z06. It didn't work. I got better results letting the street tires sit next to the car in the garage and letting the car read them before I headed out on track. The first problem I had was training the sensors in the cylinder. They were too close to each other and when I used the tool to get them to transmit more than one transmitted at a time. Second, when the car is moving it expects to see the sensors transmitting. When they are in the cylinder they transmit once per hour since they aren't spinning on a wheel.

You can remove the connector from the steering connector but be careful when you do that as the connector isn't a high duty cycle connector and is on the fragile side as the designer more than likely chose it since they didn't expect it to be taken apart more than 20 times over the life time of the car. Once removed you will still have ABS and Traction Control but all AH functions will be turned off since AH needs the steering sensor to initiate AH action.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here actually put tpms in a pressurized container?

Quick Reply: Anyone here actually put tpms in a pressurized container?