Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Fuel cell mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:40 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Default C4 Fuel cell mount

Melrose used to make a nice bolt in fuel cell mount. But they decided the market wasn't there and sold the one they used as a template and they don't have any interest in making any more.

Does anybody have one for sale or know of an alternative source before I start having somebody build one from scratch?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Heorr Racing use to have one to replace the OEM tank for a C4.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My son may have one of the Melrose units. I will check, but shipping may be prohibitive.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:16 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nokones
Heorr Racing use to have one to replace the OEM tank for a C4.
That's the fuel safe version where you send in your tank and they put In a bladder for 3k. Not what I'm looking for.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by eogel
My son may have one of the Melrose units. I will check, but shipping may be prohibitive.
I'd be interested. If shipping is way over the top, I would be willing to take measurements and good pics and throw some cash for the info.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:08 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Just sent you a PM.

Ed
Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Can someone explain the purpose of the bladder in a fuel cell ?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Nokones
Drifting

So, when the tank outer shell is compromised the fuel will still be contained. The rubber bladder can take a severe impact and flex with the impact forces where as steel or other hard material could puncture or tear apart.
The following users liked this post:
PatternDayTrader (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:07 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

So, when the tank outer shell is compromised the fuel will still be contained. The rubber bladder can take a severe impact and flex with the impact forces where as steel or other hard material could puncture or tear apart.
Ok thank you. That makes perfect sense.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Another two questions if you don't mind.
How long do they typically last ? Is there a replacement interval ? Obviously I don't know the first thing about this ...
Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Unless you have rust of the metal can or leaking of the bladder, the only service I am aware of is the replacement of internal foam. Do not recall the time interval but 5 years comes to mind. Ethanol fuel causes it to deteriorate. You can get an aluminum can and avoid the potential for rust.

Has OP disappeared? No response to my PM or post.
The following users liked this post:
PatternDayTrader (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:22 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by eogel
Unless you have rust of the metal can or leaking of the bladder, the only service I am aware of is the replacement of internal foam. Do not recall the time interval but 5 years comes to mind. Ethanol fuel causes it to deteriorate. You can get an aluminum can and avoid the potential for rust.

Has OP disappeared? No response to my PM or post.
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Nokones
Drifting

The bladder also has a life expectancy and are date stamped. I don't remember what that period is?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:07 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

The bladder also has a life expectancy and are date stamped. I don't remember what that period is?
In drag racing, seat belts have dates and must be replaced I think every five years, even if the belt is in perfect condition. I assume this is something similar ?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Nokones
Drifting

I just found that FIA and Nascar states 5 years on the bladder where as the SCCA GCRs states the Fuel Cell does not time out. That is interesting. At least the seat belts expire 5 years.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:32 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

So since you guys don't seem to mind educating me on this topic. I'm needing help understanding what it is I'm looking at with this product.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/abt-sa144/overview/

Is the bladder inside this ?
Apparently with this product, the "can" needs to be fabricated. So, is the "can" just a metal box to further protect this fuel cell, of which inside is the bladder? Or is this considered a preformed bladder that must be installed inside a metal "can" before it can be safely used ?

Here's what's happening with this if anyone has any ideas. I have a customer requesting I install an auxiliary fuel cell into the trunk of a passenger car. Obviously, its a dumb idea to have fuel anywhere in the interior of the car, trunk or not. So I am attempting to mitigate those obvious dangers. The fuel cell w/bladder idea seems like its about as good as its going to get, which is why I'm trying to figure this out.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
So since you guys don't seem to mind educating me on this topic. I'm needing help understanding what it is I'm looking at with this product.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/abt-sa144/overview/

Is the bladder inside this ?
Apparently with this product, the "can" needs to be fabricated. So, is the "can" just a metal box to further protect this fuel cell, of which inside is the bladder? Or is this considered a preformed bladder that must be installed inside a metal "can" before it can be safely used ?

Here's what's happening with this if anyone has any ideas. I have a customer requesting I install an auxiliary fuel cell into the trunk of a passenger car. Obviously, its a dumb idea to have fuel anywhere in the interior of the car, trunk or not. So I am attempting to mitigate those obvious dangers. The fuel cell w/bladder idea seems like its about as good as its going to get, which is why I'm trying to figure this out.
The description does say bladder, foam, pickup, and fill plate. It appears to be a complete fuel cell. I can't imagine that anyone would want a 44 gallon fuel cell.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Fuel cell mount

Old 12-17-2017, 11:09 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

The description does say bladder, foam, pickup, and fill plate. It appears to be a complete fuel cell. I can't imagine that anyone would want a 44 gallon fuel cell.
I thought so too. I guess I'm not understanding the role of the can that needs to be fabricated. Either its just a box to contain the cell, and to add an additional measure of safety, or its an integral part of the assembly and the picture of the product is sort of misleading. It does say the item may vary from the picture.

Over the years I've sort of learned not to question stupid ideas. Inevitably, stupid ideas are justified by stupid reasoning, and the rabbit hole of stupid can be so deep, I tend to avoid it altogether. In this case I'm just trying to decide if I want to take this project on.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:12 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

date of manufacture is for warranty purposes
Old 12-17-2017, 01:02 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

The following was copied from the link you provided:

"Notes: Bladders are approved for FIAFT3, SCAA, USAC. Metal container drawing is included. Material for container not included.

ATL Saver Cell fuel cells offer you the "heart" of their fuel systems--you construct your own metal can and save some dollars!"

Be careful with this. The black molded plastic piece pictured may be the bladder. As I read this it occurred that you may be assuming some liability by installing this and constructing the can to contain the parts.

Just a thought,
Ed

Quick Reply: C4 Fuel cell mount