Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track days and "normal" car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Default Track days and "normal" car insurance

so I was going through Geico and Progressive and found Progressive definitely has a strict track day exclusion:
4. bodily injury or property damage resulting from, or sustained during practice or preparation for:
a. any pre-arranged or organized racing, stunting, speed or demolition contest or activity; or
b. any driving activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack or racecourse

Geico however has a gray area:
Loss caused by an auto driven in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized.

HPDE definitely aren't a racing contest, speed contest or demolition contest (or stunting, presumably). I think Geico might be on the hook if you crash at HPDE. Progressive, you're definitely screwed on.

Has anyone read other insurance policies? these are the only two I have access to. If others have state farm, all state, etc- I'd love to read the exclusions page.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:14 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by village idiot

Geico however has a gray area:
Loss caused by an auto driven in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized.

HPDE definitely aren't a racing contest, speed contest or demolition contest (or stunting, presumably). I think Geico might be on the hook if you crash at HPDE. Progressive, you're definitely screwed on.
Ask an one of their reps (and get the info in writing) or OTOH -
Track day insurance has no "gray" or "I think" areas.

Last edited by raff; 02-18-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

If Geico doesn't want to pay out in one of their 'gray' areas, it will be up to you to prevail in court.
Got a team of lawyers on your payroll?
Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

my experience with insurance - I don't want to be in the gray area.

my understanding of HPDE - use lockton or a like insurer. street insurers will run. my last issue was a blown tire at 142mph at summit. I thought I got off easy. bill came to 30K. Lockton paid in full. best $300 I ve spent. I think it's crazy to chance it. I ran 70 days on track before something happened, but when it did, I was glad I was appropriately insured.

BTW - from experience, I don't care what my agent has to say. if they can get an underwriter to write me a letter stating that they will cover, I'm happy. chance of agent asking an underwriter to issue a letter saying they cover HPDE, well lottery is more likely. if you get the letter, feel great, just don't bet on it. underwriter drives the bus.

Last edited by cre8fun; 02-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Travelers, State Farm,Liberty Mutual & Hartford are no go!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:55 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive had many people tell me their agent said they are OK for HPDE and then when I pushed them to get a letter from an underwriter, they've come back and said nope, the company won't issue a letter - meaning nope it's not really covered. not worth the risk in my book. I know my agent wants to be my friend, but a 30+K loss is not worth gambling in my book.

there was gray area 15 years ago and lots of folklore still bouncing around in the pits about the guy who rented a car and it was still covered as he totaled it, but in the real world, most policies say the policy is void the moment you pull onto a "racing surface."
Old 02-18-2018, 11:06 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nowanker
If Geico doesn't want to pay out in one of their 'gray' areas, it will be up to you to prevail in court.
yes.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:16 AM
n8goodrow
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it's worth I've talked to several folks at Geico, all resulted in a No.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

The Personal Auto Policy was designed decades ago, before track events were popular. So, usually no premium is being collected for these events--there's a first clue. When you read a policy, you first read general exclusions, and you probably won't find it addressed there. Next, go to Liability exclusions. (paying for the other guy and legal representation for you). There, I have heard some companies have NO exclusions, or just to racing or timed speed event, in which case there may be coverage. The strictest exclusion is for anything on a dedicated permanent or temporary race track or timed event (autocross). Remember, this is only coverage for the other guy, not your car. My State Farm policy has NO exclusion for liability coverage, (that I could find) so I bought a one million umbrella policy that was dirt cheap, because it gives a discount on our 5 cars and homeowners. This covers legal costs also, which could bankrupt people. Finally, read exclusions under Physical Damage To Covered Auto (your car). This is where most policies clearly exclude track events. State farm has an ironclad exclusion, EVEN EXCLUDING YOUR CAR WHEN PARKED IN THE PARKING LOT FOR SUCH EVENTS. As I recall I decided to never attend an autocross as a spectator and park in the lot for it--there's no coverage for your car. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T READ SOMETHING IN A SUB-SECTION AND THINK IT COVERS THE WHOLE POLICY. As I recall, my brother has Amica, and found no exclusions anywhere. He called his agent to see, who called underwriting, who said they have made a conscious decision to not exclude such events. However, that is a Ct policy, and he better make sure it doesn't change--they have no obligation to call and tell him, it will be in fine print. (what if they mail him an amendment, and the lovely USPS loses it?) There's also the no-fault section, so like the instructor who got hurt badly, my policy has 100k coverage for medical and lost wages, but I have never read those exclusions--which may cover all occupants. All in all, this is a very dangerous arena. In a prior life, I have 20 years experience in insurance claims, and an advanced degree in the stuff, and still don't trust anything. Technically, the law states that any ambiguity in a contract is settled in favor of a layperson, not the sophisticated party who wrote the contract, but in 20 years, I never saw that invoked--they know what they are doing, and it's not unclear to the courts. I cover the Corvette through On Track Insurance, and THINK I am covered for liability through the auto policy. But, state case law could trump what I think I read, or the company could amend the policy any day. You are covered unless the exclusions take it away, but make damn sure. Do your own research and see it in writing, states and jurisdictions are different. When in doubt, call an underwriter and a claim supervisor both. Agents may know but are NOT technicians in insurance claims and contract law, and it can get devilishly technical. Frankly, I won't ask my agent. I didn't insure my new trailer because I don't want him to know. Insurance companies don't like people who drive fast, and calling and confessing track days may cause them to cancel you. Good luck getting insurance after that.

Last edited by apex26; 02-20-2018 at 06:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by apex26:
63Corvette (03-14-2018), PaConehead (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine says it doesn't cover damage sustained "on a closed course at race speed". So I bite the bullet and get the track insurance. That adds a sizable percentage to the overall weekend expense. But its the only way my conscience will let me do this. There may be another option that I'm not aware of, like a company offering an addendum for a certain time period.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:46 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Mine says it doesn't cover damage sustained "on a closed course at race speed". So I bite the bullet and get the track insurance. That adds a sizable percentage to the overall weekend expense. But its the only way my conscience will let me do this. There may be another option that I'm not aware of, like a company offering an addendum for a certain time period.
Our experience mirrors this. Most, if not all regular auto policies have a clause or were amended to exclude any coverage on a racing surface.

I've seen cases, albeit several years ago, where the agent got an on-track claim paid but I highly doubt you'll see that again.

Feff
Old 02-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Definitely a good reason most people track things like c5's or c6 that you can walk away from. Not like someone making payments on a c7.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

I just assume the risk myself. I Understand the concept of track day insurance, and I've seen it pay off, but by now I would have paid for 2 or 3 new cars in unused premiums.
"Never take anything to the track that you can't just walk away from."
It would have to suck to keep making payments on a wadded up piece of junk.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:08 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Village has a unique set of skills...... which if all goes well, he will never have to explore, with a track involved

Last edited by rb185afm; 02-28-2018 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
village idiot (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:31 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Village has a unique set of skills...... which if all goes well, he will never have to explore, with a track involved
Unfortunately that skill isn't driving
(turn on volume for full lol effect)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Oh ****...huh.

LOL
The following users liked this post:
village idiot (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Hahahaha that was a pretty mild ,”oh ****”. Have to love tracks with safe run off. Don’t try that at Sonoma lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Track days and "normal" car insurance

Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Something is screwed up with the video or with YouTube. The sound finished about 10 seconds ahead of the video which decided to pause several times while the sound kept playing. Could hear the off but the stopped video showed the car in the center of the pavement.

Bill
Old 03-02-2018, 05:41 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

That happened here too, on a new computer...
Old 03-02-2018, 09:27 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

A friend who was a Viper Tech had a customer/friend who went through the fight. In my opinion your chances of winning are not very good.

http://www.viperclub.org/vca/threads...nsider.549642/

Quick Reply: Track days and "normal" car insurance