Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding splitter & trunk spoiler to c6z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Here are a few pics of the actual car, as I type it's on a transport to SD.

I don't care for black rims on black car, but I have ccw's that will bolt on. Imagine a splitter/spoiler. These pics are off the Manheim auction site so probably not super HD.

I'll put up a video of it coming off the transport hopefully. Good luck to the guy on my cul de sac. Hah.

Last edited by froggy47; 03-16-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sweet...congrats! Hope to see it soon.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
Sweet...congrats! Hope to see it soon.
It'll replace old z16 next autox after tomorrow's at Stadium. Hoping it rains tomorrow, much fun.

Drop by, haven't seen you (Bimoto Guy is my 1st instructor guys) in years.

Last edited by froggy47; 03-17-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:49 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by froggy47
Is the C7 Carbon a C6 car?

C7carbon.com sales parts for c5 through c7.

And may I add; your Z is sweet.
The following users liked this post:
froggy47 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 12:48 AM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, you got the fastest color! Also, I've got the Katech rear spoiler and can vouch for its quality. Been through two carbon fiber splitters, last one being an LG. Let's say they don't like contact with anything. Next one will be another Katech when I have the coin.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Check with Katech. All their stuff was wind tunnel tested.
Correct!

Ok, my post is a bit detailed and long.
I have a C6 Grand Sport that I track multiple times a year, so aerodynamics, downforce, and cooling are major considerations for me. Another consideration is the susceptibility of ground-hugging pieces to road debris, so I used mostly fiberglass for the front pieces for cost and cringe-preservation. (I lost a carbon fiber splitter to a piece of road debris once on my Honda S2000, and couldn't justify the price of an easily destroyed piece after that.)

From front to back:

I went with the fiberglass ZR1 splitter from C7 Carbon. The splitter is simply a U shaped splitter and nothing more; no fancy ducting, or extensions, just a simple splitter. It comes painted gloss black and is a simple bolt-in design.

Next, I added in the Katech brake ducts that connect in the bumper to the existing brake ducts, and feed air from the ZR1 splitter inlets.

This would not be complete without the LG spindle ducts and orange tubing to complete brake cooling, but that's not what this thread is about...

Next, I added the Katech undertray in fiberglass to complete the front end aerodynamics and basically seal in and smooth out the front, which required the trimming of the front air dam part that hangs down (some people say the dam creates lift, others say it creates drag... )

I followed that with the ZR1 Extended Side Skirts in carbon-fiber (the only carbon fiber piece I have close to the ground) from C7 Carbon.

Finally, I added the ZR1 Extended rear spoiler from C7 Carbon for the rear downforce.

I also have the LG World Challenge front hood for heat extraction, as well as a tad more frontal downforce.

I do have plans to add a rear diffuser later down the road, but that will require some relocating of the trans and diff coolers that are currently mounted in the rear...

As it sits now:

Last edited by R_W; 03-18-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by phxcobra
Yes, you got the fastest color! Also, I've got the Katech rear spoiler and can vouch for its quality. Been through two carbon fiber splitters, last one being an LG. Let's say they don't like contact with anything. Next one will be another Katech when I have the coin.
There is a guy I know in SD (did work on my M3) who has a classic M1, Sweet. He laminated some alum sheet under the spoiler (very low one) to protect it. Anyone ever think of that to toughen it up? Would not change the aero (I think) and may prevent the damage from drags across the bumps.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by r_w
correct!

Ok, my post is a bit detailed and long.
I have a c6 grand sport that i track multiple times a year, so aerodynamics, downforce, and cooling are major considerations for me. Another consideration is the susceptibility of ground-hugging pieces to road debris, so i used mostly fiberglass for the front pieces for cost and cringe-preservation. (i lost a carbon fiber splitter to a piece of road debris once on my honda s2000, and couldn't justify the price of an easily destroyed piece after that.)

from front to back:

I went with the fiberglass zr1 splitter from c7 carbon. The splitter is simply a u shaped splitter and nothing more; no fancy ducting, or extensions, just a simple splitter. It comes painted gloss black and is a simple bolt-in design.

Next, i added in the katech brake ducts that connect in the bumper to the existing brake ducts, and feed air from the zr1 splitter inlets.

this would not be complete without the lg spindle ducts and orange tubing to complete brake cooling, but that's not what this thread is about...

Next, i added the katech undertray in fiberglass to complete the front end aerodynamics and basically seal in and smooth out the front, which required the trimming of the front air dam part that hangs down (some people say the dam creates lift, others say it creates drag... )

i followed that with the zr1 extended side skirts in carbon-fiber (the only carbon fiber piece i have close to the ground) from c7 carbon.

finally, i added the zr1 extended rear spoiler from c7 carbon for the rear downforce.

i also have the lg world challenge front hood for heat extraction, as well as a tad more frontal downforce.

I do have plans to add a rear diffuser later down the road, but that will require some relocating of the trans and diff coolers that are currently mounted in the rear...

As it sits now:

thanks!
Old 03-28-2018, 07:11 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is mine. It works well.

Last edited by 08 ATOMIC-Z; 03-28-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:24 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
Here is mine. It works well.

Thanks, nice. Please guys specify which splitter/spoiler it is & prices for the parts. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Looks like a great car you'll be getting!!

One thing to consider when adding a splitter is, you may need to add the reinforcing piece. Here it is on the Katech site:

http://store.katechengines.com/katec...tter-p198.aspx

I know early model year C6 Z06's didn't have it (my 2006 didn't), and if you added a splitter that created a good amount of downforce it would pull the whole center section of the front fascia down and put a smile on the face of your Vette!

The reinforcement came on the C6 ZR1 in 2009 with its bigger splitter, and whether the later models of the Z06 or GS got it standard I dunno - but I don't think so.

It might not be a big deal for AutoX, but when you're running at any fairly high speed with a big splitter (even interstate highway speed, and certainly roadcourses) you probably need the reinforcing piece.

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-28-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:16 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Looks like a great car you'll be getting!!

One thing to consider when adding a splitter is, you may need to add the reinforcing piece. Here it is on the Katech site:

http://store.katechengines.com/katec...tter-p198.aspx

I know early model year C6 Z06's didn't have it (my 2006 didn't), and if you added a splitter that created a good amount of downforce it would pull the whole center section of the front fascia down and put a smile on the face of your Vette!

The reinforcement came on the C6 ZR1 in 2009 with its bigger splitter, and whether the later models of the Z06 or GS got it standard I dunno - but I don't think so.

It might not be a big deal for AutoX, but when you're running at any fairly high speed with a big splitter (even interstate highway speed, and certainly roadcourses) you probably need the reinforcing piece.

Sadly, I can attest to the necessity of the reinforcement piece for road course duty. A couple of years back I had a local body shop repaint my front bumper. Unbeknownst to me, they did not reinstall reinforcement piece. After 1 or 2 track days, the outside edges of the front opening started to crack and peel. I thought it was just a bad paint job and decided not to bring it back until the season was over several months later. Along with leaf springs on their last legs and the damn ice mode, the flexing of the front bumper caused all sorts of unusual movement in the front end @ speed and under braking. Spent time and money trying to fix what I thought was an issue with the brakes. Later, with the undertray off trying to fix I can even remember what, I noticed the reinforcement piece was missing.

Learn from my mistakes - get the reinforcement piece.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Sadly, I can attest to the necessity of the reinforcement piece for road course duty. A couple of years back I had a local body shop repaint my front bumper. Unbeknownst to me, they did not reinstall reinforcement piece. After 1 or 2 track days, the outside edges of the front opening started to crack and peel. I thought it was just a bad paint job and decided not to bring it back until the season was over several months later. Along with leaf springs on their last legs and the damn ice mode, the flexing of the front bumper caused all sorts of unusual movement in the front end @ speed and under braking. Spent time and money trying to fix what I thought was an issue with the brakes. Later, with the undertray off trying to fix I can even remember what, I noticed the reinforcement piece was missing.

Learn from my mistakes - get the reinforcement piece.
Good to know & ugh expensive. Do you all think it's needed for 2-2.5 inch splitter?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:14 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I needed it with the Katech splitter which is the same dimensions as the ZR-1 splitter so my guess is yes.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:42 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Good to know & ugh expensive. Do you all think it's needed for 2-2.5 inch splitter?

I'd say YES!!

Google "c6 corvette fascia reinforcement" and you'll see a bunch of places ready to sell you one.

I checked eBay and did a search for "corvette fascia reinforcement" and found a couple for around $176 shipped, but they may be aftermarket. I know C7Carbon sells one they make and say it's stronger than the OE one - but who knows!?!?

If you want OE, the GM part# is 25954152

Old 03-28-2018, 08:26 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks, nice. Please guys specify which splitter/spoiler it is & prices for the parts. Thanks.

Splitter and reinforcement piece are from ACS Composites. They have different styles so prices will vary. Fit is better than OEM and thicker but just as light. I have the C7 style to match my Spoiler.
Spoiler is the C6.5 from Innovative auto creations $1395.00 it is tunable and functional.

https://www.innovativeautocreations....erbill-spoiler

$1,395.00 - ‎In stock
froggy47 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I'd say YES!!

Google "c6 corvette fascia reinforcement" and you'll see a bunch of places ready to sell you one.

I checked eBay and did a search for "corvette fascia reinforcement" and found a couple for around $176 shipped, but they may be aftermarket. I know C7Carbon sells one they make and say it's stronger than the OE one - but who knows!?!?

If you want OE, the GM part# is 25954152

Thanks a lot, I will need one. Probably be trying several diy splitters

Get notified of new replies

To Adding splitter & trunk spoiler to c6z?

Old 03-29-2018, 05:53 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Super Snoopy

In process of same type rear spoiler

Last edited by Whis9; 03-29-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:27 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

None of the ls7 motors are fixed. I got a crate motor and the heads were bad. Spend the money and get them fixed. 2500 to fix the heads, 13,000 for a new motor.
froggy47 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:21 AM
cooper1219
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Apr spoiler and breathless diffuser. Zr1 front and sides. Great track
combo for relatively cheap

Quick Reply: Adding splitter & trunk spoiler to c6z?