Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Recommendation for Street C5 with weekend track duty

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:31 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Recommendation for Street C5 with weekend track duty

Hi all, it's time to purchase an oil cooler for my 2000 FRC with a cammed L92/LS3. The car sees 95% street duty (commuting, highway driving, weekend twisty road blasts) and about 4-5 track/lapping days a year.

I have already installed Improved Racing's Oil Cooler Thermostat with -10AN fittings in preparation for the cooler. I plan on running -10 lines with FireSleeve over them to protect from longtube heat, and mounting the cooler in front of the AC condenser.

What size/brand oil cooler is recommended for my application? I'm not looking to break the bank. From some basic reading it looks like the Setrab 625 is a popular unit.

http://www.improvedracing.com/setrab...ler-p-252.html
Old 03-15-2018, 03:51 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

I am doing the same thing with my '99 FRC with a warmed over LS6. I was advised to go with the 180F degree Improved Racing thermostaically controlled adapter and to use the taller Setrab 625 vs. the shorter 613, 616 or 619 units.

BTW, Lingenfelter's sells a mounting bracket for the shorter Setrab 613 cooler (not sure if it will also work for the taller 625) and hardware kit.

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/UM-MOUNTS-32.html
https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.WqrOVOjwaM8
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I've been happy with the "race" oil cooler DRM sells. Not sure what setrab model it is. My car is stock, but the highest temps I've seen since installing it is in the high 260's.

If you use a thermostat, that should cover your street use
Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I've been happy with the "race" oil cooler DRM sells. Not sure what setrab model it is. My car is stock, but the highest temps I've seen since installing it is in the high 260's.

If you use a thermostat, that should cover your street use
Dan, the folks at DRM recommend a Setrab 625 for track only use and a 619 for street/track use.

http://dougrippie.com/products/stand...il-cooler-kit/
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nsogiba

What size/brand oil cooler is recommended for my application? I'm not looking to break the bank. From some basic reading it looks like the Setrab 625 is a popular unit.

http://www.improvedracing.com/setrab...ler-p-252.html
After all the recommendations. I went with the 625. There is room for a bigger cooler, I think the next step up is $280 or so. I half way wish I would of wnet bigger for insurance. My AC evaporator is gone. I haven't had it to the track yet, but the improved racing thermostat modulates really well. It ran 205 on street without. It stays right at 190 now whether it's 70F or 30F with the cooler.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:56 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with the 625 and improved racing thermostat. Works fine for double duty. I do wish the low profile had some sort of official way to mount the thermostat sensor. I had to build this adapter, that part was a PITA.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:57 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I went with the 625 and improved racing thermostat. Works fine for double duty. I do wish the low profile had some sort of official way to mount the thermostat sensor. I had to build this adapter, that part was a PITA.
The C5 adapter has the correct threads for the oil temp sensor. The lines are routed a little different though.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:28 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

We actually have a solution coming for using the low profile adapter while retaining the factory C5 temp sensor.

It seems the low-profile version is generally more practical for the C5. In the past, we have machined a version with an M12 sensor hole instead of 1/8" NPT, but the hole is sometimes too far for the factory harness to reach easily.

So instead we actually had a custom oil temp sensor made that matches the specs of the C5 sensor exactly, except it has an 1/8" NPT thread and a longer harness wire that plugs directly into the factory harness. This makes using the low-profile adapter completely plug-and-play, plus you're getting a new sensor with the adapter.

This new sensor should be available in about 2-3 weeks. If you order the low profile thermostat (EGM-112) for a C5 now, just ask and we will send you a free sensor later when it's available. Once available the sensor will add a few bucks to the price of the part, but it's worth it.

Last edited by ImprovedRacing; 03-25-2018 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JHrinsin (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Originally Posted by ImprovedRacing
We actually have a solution coming for using the low profile adapter while retaining the factory C5 temp sensor.

It seems the low-profile version is generally more practical for the C5. In the past, we have machined a version with an M12 sensor hole instead of 1/8" NPT, but the hole is sometimes too far for the factory harness to reach easily.

So instead we actually had a custom oil temp sensor made that matches the specs of the C5 sensor exactly, except it has an 1/8" NPT thread and a longer harness wire that plugs directly into the factory harness. This makes using the low-profile adapter completely plug-and-play, plus you're getting a new sensor with the adapter.

This new sensor should be available in about 2-3 weeks. If you order the low profile thermostat (EGM-112) for a C5 now, just ask and we will send you a free sensor later when it's available. Once available the sensor will add a few bucks to the price of the part, but it's worth it.
Very cool.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:05 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

I spoke with someone at IR late last week describing exactly this issue...the "standard" C5 adapter (EGM-114-F1) doesn't work with my XS Power headers.

My headers:

My issue:

You can see that the fitting pointing down directly hits the collector area.

I bought the EGM-112 because it routes the fittings up and away from the headers, but it's not plug and play with the factory C5 temp sensor. Do the folks at Improved Racing have something they can send me to adapt to use the factory sensor? Really trying to avoid having to build a mess of adapters and fittings to make this work...also, there is the issue of a "custom" sensor that is needed to make this work. What if I want to change out the sensor on a long road trip? It's nice having a readily available part off the shelf at your typical auto parts store.

Last edited by nsogiba; 03-26-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:56 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

I spoke with someone at IR late last week describing exactly this issue...the "standard" C5 adapter (EGM-114-F1) doesn't work with my XS Power headers.

I bought the EGM-112 because it routes the fittings up and away from the headers, but it's not plug and play with the factory C5 temp sensor. Do the folks at Improved Racing have something they can send me to adapt to use the factory sensor? Really trying to avoid having to build a mess of adapters and fittings to make this work...also, there is the issue of a "custom" sensor that is needed to make this work. What if I want to change out the sensor on a long road trip? It's nice having a readily available part off the shelf at your typical auto parts store.
There isn't any practical way to adapt the 1/8" NPT port to M12, because M12 is larger. You can use a sensor adapter port inline on the oil line, but you'll have to extend the factory sensor harness to reach.

The solution is to use the custom sensor. It will cost a few bucks but we will send you one for free when it's available. You can also always purchase an extra sensor as a spare for future replacement if you like as well. They will be available for sale individually.

Last edited by ImprovedRacing; 03-26-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:31 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's awesome! I might need to grab that. I assume it clears most longtube headers?
Old 03-26-2018, 03:58 PM
ImprovedRacing
Supporting Vendor

That's awesome! I might need to grab that. I assume it clears most longtube headers?
On the C5 the EGM-112 should clear most aftermarket headers, yes. It does require unbolting the wiring harness from the block just above the adapter and moving it over a little to clear the oil lines, but that's it.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:56 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

So I got the EGM-112 all bolted up last night and the -10 ports (o-ring to -10AN) clear my headers, thankfully. I still need to purchase and route the actual hose fittings, but so far so good. I am thinking about just purchasing a 1/8NPT male to M12x1.5mm female adapter, screwing in my OEM oil pressure sensor, and just extending the wiring. Really want to keep an OEM sensor in case I need to replace it, as these are available in most parts stores across the country.

Last edited by nsogiba; 03-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:15 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Do you have a photo of the EGM-112 mounted on the engine - sort of like the one above where you showed the EGM-114-FI not fitting with your XS power header collectors? TIA.

Last edited by JHrinsin; 03-29-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:32 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Do you have a photo of the EGM-112 mounted on the engine - sort of like the one above where you showed the EGM-114-FI not fitting with your XS power header collectors? TIA.
I will try to get some tonight.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

I will try to get some tonight.
Any luck on the photo of the EGM-112 on your engine?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Any luck on the photo of the EGM-112 on your engine?
Here is the EGM-112 mounted up. I had to remove the longtube to be able to reach the ports on the thermostat. I'll be using 90 degree -10AN female to hose end fittings coming off each of those males.

If I can remember it I'll try to snap some pics with the header installed. The adapter is almost invisible from underneath the car when you put the longtube back in

I should also mention that I am making up an adapter to be able to use the factory oil temp sensor with the EGM-112. Essentially a straight piece of hex aluminum stock with a deep M12x1.5 female port on one side to accept the sensor, and a female 1/8NPT port on the other side. A 1/8" nipple (probably stainless) will connect the adapter to the 112. I'll then have to either make up an extension harness for the sensor (with additional pigtails) or just cut and lengthen the existing harness. Kind of a pain, really, I thought this part would all be plug and play.

Last edited by nsogiba; 04-06-2018 at 08:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nsogiba:
JHrinsin (04-06-2018), Quickshift_C5 (04-06-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Cooler Recommendation for Street C5 with weekend track duty

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Recommendation for Street C5 with weekend track duty