Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much added cooling removing condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default How much added cooling removing condenser?

AC's not working and instead of trying to fix deciding if should just remove. Will be some hot trips from the track in AZ though.

Other day >230deg coolant on track. If I remove the condenser how much improvement you think I'd get... seems I should get a bunch!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:02 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Difficult question to answer that probably depends on a variety of factors. I dropped over 20 degrees by sheet metal boxing the radiator and laying the radiator forward. It was a double core radiator. Also use water wetter and I have no A/C and the car is under 3k lbs.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I did this and got no change in my coolant or oil temps. I got a ron davis with rightside internal oil cooler.

The A/C junk in the dash is 27lbs. The total A/C system is worth about 50lbs.
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (08-25-2019)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a big radiator with good sealing around it, katech tstat delete that blocks the bypass and stand alone oil cooler. Oil’s fine at 260-ish and water’s ok at 220-ish on faster tracks, but short tracks and hot ambient can see >230. I don’t let off at this temp cause I use E32 mix, but starting to feel uneasy about it.

Condeser seems like it’s gotta reduce the airflow. Maybe hood vents would have a better effect.

I also get my engine air from the radiator flow with flipped airbox... wonder if this steals cooling air increasing temps.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Im also interested in gutting my entire air conditioning system... after removing the hvac system folks sometimes put a blower fan attached to an oil cooler to provide defogging on the windscreen - has anyone got an explanation on this? Do you just run a normal front mount oil cooler to do the actual cooling, then a secondary under the dash for the heating? It seems the line distance would cause pressure problems...

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2018, 11:06 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Hood vents may give you some room on temps and give you a bit of down force at the same time.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:15 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you'll need to seal off the missing area on the sides, I use thick AC foam. While this theoretically increases airflow, you may not see much difference in real life. However, it is VERY common to have tons of grass and debris trapped between the condenser and the radiator, so it's a great time to clean things up and get the air flowing properly.

You must have air flow in AND out of your radiator, and it must not go AROUND the radiator. Hood venting also helps, both reducing stacked air in the engine bay and reducing lift since the air isn't tumbling under the car.

Honestly, if you haven't already, get a 2" aluminum radiator while you are in there. Even the cheapo "auction" radiators are quite good these days

Get notified of new replies

To How much added cooling removing condenser?

Quick Reply: How much added cooling removing condenser?